Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Russian aircraft over St. Petersburg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Privett17/07/2019 17:13:58
5927 forum posts
236 photos

Some photos of aircraft (etc!) that I took in the past few days on a Baltic cruise.

I don't know what the occasion was, but shortly after I came out of the Hermitage Museum shortly before noon on Saturday there was a flypast of various aircraft. The first few shots were taken with the standard lens before I got a chance to get the telephoto zoom out for the rest!

First some contra-rotating helis;

contraheli.jpg

Followed by some fixed-wing of various types - if anyone can identify exactly what they are then please comment! I haven't had a chance to look them up yet - and the slow internet connection here doesn't help!

stpete1.jpg

stpete2.jpg

stpete3.jpg

stpete4.jpg

And then, after leaving St. Petersburg, somewhere west of Kronstadt - ok, not aircraft, but may be of interest to somebody!

stpete5.jpg

And back to aircraft, a very close encounter with a Swedish air ambulance that landed on the ship's helipad to evacuate a sick passenger shortly after leaving Stockholm;

heli1.jpg

heli2.jpg

Edited By John Privett on 17/07/2019 17:16:13

Richard Ashworth17/07/2019 19:21:33
85 forum posts
69 photos

In order

Kamov KA 27 anti submarine helicopters

Ilyushin IL 20 maritime reconnaissance turboprop

Ilyushin IL76 freighter in early warning radar mode with Sukhoi SU30 fighters

Tupolev TU114 Bear, long range bomber, that likes spooking the RAF north of the UK.

Richard

John Privett17/07/2019 20:19:09
5927 forum posts
236 photos

Great - thanks for the IDs Richard! thumbs up

I was fairly sure about the TU114, but not the others. If I'd put my brain into gear I'd have probably guessed the Sukhois - though I may have initially guessed them as SU27s that I first saw at Farnborough almost 30 years ago!

Bruce Collinson18/07/2019 07:22:45
379 forum posts

Richard, you anorak!

Navy Day rehearsals apparently.

BTC

Richard Ashworth18/07/2019 15:58:18
85 forum posts
69 photos

Sorry to disappoint Bruce, just an aircraft recognition nut!

An anorak would have known that the yellow chopper (standard layman term) is an Airbus Helicopters EC145

(operated by Babcock Scandinavian - but had to look that up!)

Cheers Richard

John Privett18/07/2019 20:42:49
5927 forum posts
236 photos

I knew the details of the yellow heli - I was tracking it on Flightradar24 as it circled the ship prior to landing! teeth 2

I thought its close approach to the ship was a bit odd, but an announcement on the PA system on the ship explained it all!

John Privett19/07/2019 17:10:10
5927 forum posts
236 photos

Two more aviation sightings over the past 2 days have caught me unprepared and unable to get even a half-decent photo!

First, at Skagen, a pair of F-16s from the Danish Air Force flew past at low level over the sea, then rapidly climbed to very high level and remained in the area for a while.

Then today in Stavanger I was surprised to see a Spitfire overfly the city. Too high to have a hope of seeing any identification, other than - from the dreadful photo I did manage to take - it had a 4-bladed prop. I don't think there are currently any airworthy Spitfires based in Norway - or indeed Sweden or Denmark - so I've no idea what it is doing here!

Josip Vrandecic -Mes20/07/2019 15:17:55
2984 forum posts
259 photos
Hi John ,this is one private Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IX G-BRSF from Stavenger.
Nor Spit private
John Privett23/07/2019 22:33:36
5927 forum posts
236 photos

Interesting, Jo - thanks!

That Spitfire seems to UK-based, but a regular visitor to Stavanger, often attending an air show there in June. I believe in the photo you've posted it's painted with Norwegian colours on the rudder, wingtips and spinner.

I see that the incident in Korea today, with alleged incursion of Korean airspace by Russian aircraft, is illustrated on the BBC News website (it's currently the most read story there) with a picture of what they describe as an A-50 very similar to the aircraft in the third of my photos. Wiki explains that the A-50 is based on the Ilyushin Il-76 transport as identified by Richard.

Josip Vrandecic -Mes24/07/2019 10:01:51
2984 forum posts
259 photos
Dear John, you are welcome, the builders, of Russian military planes, the fact is that they were primarily designed by the military, and used the same for civilian purposes. Today is nothing different. Thanks for your time and all the best. Jo

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Addlestone Models
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us