By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Futaba 10j Motor Cut

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Richard Hayward 618/07/2019 11:29:10
20 forum posts

I've just finished a Phase 5e powered glider using the Glider pages of the Futaba manual. I would like to program a switch to isolate the throttle as a safety feature. As yet unfamiliar with computer radios (just returned to the hobby after a 20 yr break) I'm struggling to make sense of this situation. I appreciate that if set up as Acro there is this facility built in, but not for Glider (I'm using those settings so I can easily have Crow braking).

An Futaba aces out there who could talk me through what I'm trying to achieve please?

Shaun Walsh18/07/2019 11:39:14
196 forum posts
13 photos

Page 156 of the manual here?

**LINK**

Richard Hayward 618/07/2019 11:47:38
20 forum posts

Thanks Shaun, but that's just to select a switch for motor on/off if the throttle stick is being used for flaps. I really want throttle control of the motor as it's a powerful beast and full throttle is really too much apart from take off.

Shaun Walsh18/07/2019 12:01:44
196 forum posts
13 photos

I think that is where the problem lies, if it is the same set up as Spektrum then glider settings allow for incremental flaps on the "throttle" stick and motor either on or off via a switch. I didn't like this set up either so I set up my Hobbyking BFG 1600 using the Acro settings and put flaps, camber and crow on switches so I had full control of motor speed. I guess it's done that way because in electric glider competition you want full throttle for a short time to get as high as possible then cut the motor and glide, in the glide phase incremental flaps or camber would be of more benefit than a variable throttle.

Have fun tinkering with settings, I'm a returnee after 40 years absence and it took me a while to get my head around computer transmitters.

Frank Skilbeck18/07/2019 12:15:22
4488 forum posts
101 photos

Have come across this on other Futaba radios, if you select glider mode then it assumes that the "throttle" stick is used for butterfly/crow braking. Your only option would be to select another model type and then then do some mixes to get the crow braking. Edit - just had a look at the manual and it seems in the glider type to have the options that if you select inh in the motor switch function then throttle control is on the stick and if you then select inh in the butterfly braking this is then on a switch.

On my electric gliders (not Futaba radio), I put the power on a slider and crow braking on the stick (with camber on another switch), but that's because I also fly pure gliders and modulating the crow braking using the stick for landing feels much more natural to me. Another glider guider I know has electric glider set up with power on a 3 position switch so he can flick between reduced power and full power and keep crow braking on the stick for landing.

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 18/07/2019 12:27:43

Richard Hayward 618/07/2019 19:44:19
20 forum posts

Thanks both. Some radios do seem more flexible - the Futaba has no sliders which makes life a bit more difficult. Any other suggestions welcome!

CARPERFECT19/07/2019 15:01:37
490 forum posts
7 photos

Page 129 throttle cut is what you want. easy as a drunken tart, any switch you want.

Frank Skilbeck19/07/2019 15:19:29
4488 forum posts
101 photos
Posted by CARPERFECT on 19/07/2019 15:01:37:

Page 129 throttle cut is what you want. easy as a drunken tart, any switch you want.

That's the throttle cut if you are in heli mode (P113 for aerobatic model), but Richard wants to use glider mode then he gets the glider mixes, but in that mode there is no throttle cut switch so if you assign throttle to the stick then you can't set a safety switch (probably because Futaba expect motor control on a glider to be on a switch).

CARPERFECT19/07/2019 15:40:28
490 forum posts
7 photos

The only way to have a throttle on/off safety switch is Throttle cut. And as you have said Frank, that option is not available in glider mode. So Areo mode is the only option, then if you want butterfly/ crow or whatever , the it must be done in a mix

Richard Hayward 619/07/2019 16:36:11
20 forum posts

In which case, I think the easiest thing is not to arm it until ready for launch (the battery bay is easily accessed under a hatch on the nose secured by magnets).

Richard Hayward 623/09/2019 13:35:17
20 forum posts

Having cut my arm with the prop when my hat fell off and touched the throttle (!), I thought I would persevere. Nothing in Google worked, so I played around with mixing and, by accident, this worked.

No idea why it needs 100% OFFSET (don't even know what that means!), but it does the job!

Frank Skilbeck23/09/2019 16:03:41
4488 forum posts
101 photos

It offsets the center position of the servo, if you didn't have it when you switched the mix in then the throttle would go to half, now if goes to the offset position. It's usually used on flaps on gliders where you have a lot of down flap in butterfly and a small amount of up flap, coupled with the ailerons or reflex for more speed. It allows you to fully utiliise the servo travel, so if you have flaps that go 80 deg down and 10 degree up, you can set the center of the servo position to 35 deg (then 45 degree up and down from the center) and use offset to offset the servo/flap by 35 deg so it then moves 10 deg up and 80 deg down.

Richard Hayward 623/09/2019 16:43:54
20 forum posts

Thank you Frank - that’s useful. I’ll keep trying to get my (aging) brain round these computer radios!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us