Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Moon landing

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Cliff Bastow20/07/2019 21:37:21
829 forum posts
427 photos

I can remember to this day being allowed to stay up and watch the landing. It had a profound effect on me and sparked my interest in aviation. I would have loved to get into space. Sadly too late for me now unless I have my ashes shot into space which I believe you can do.

Mankinds greatest achievement to date in my humble opinion.

There was a guy on the Jeremy Vine show the other day who had worked at Jodrell Bank during the 60,s and he stated they had independently tracked the command module and the lander all the way to the moon and back and too his knowledge non of the "doubters"  had ever asked to check the data which still existed.

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 20/07/2019 21:42:35

Martin Harris20/07/2019 22:51:19
8870 forum posts
221 photos
Posted by brokenenglish on 20/07/2019 21:11:32:

The "doubters" (for want of a better word that would be accepted by the mods) are always only considering a few things that they don't understand

A perfect example being that of a well produced "scientific analysis" video that trumpeted that due to the temperature of the thermosphere being over 2000 degrees C, the various materials used in the Apollo mission would have melted. This "proved" that the moon landings and space exploration could not have occurred. A small amount of research would have revealed that although the air molecules at those altitudes are indeed at those temperatures, they are so few and far between that the heat energy transfer to any object encountering their tiny mass would be negligible. You would most definitely need to take a warm jacket with you...

Martin McIntosh21/07/2019 00:13:26
2947 forum posts
1083 photos

G.S., thanks for calling me a troll. I am only reporting what I saw when it supposedly happened.

M.H.,

That video looked quite good, maybe too good compared with the earlier transmissions. I was referring to the Apollo 11 lift off, not the later ones.

It only goes to confirm my suspicions that this lot was fabricated because they often forgot to put in the 2.5 sec delay between instruction/response/confirmation, especially towards the end when they were actually talking over each other.

I accept that many thousands of people were involved but it would only have taken a handful, suitably paid a few $m each to keep quiet and dupe them, as well as the rest of the world.

Kennedy said that it would happen before the end of the decade. The Yanks would have looked very foolish if they did not come up with something by then.

More brickbats expected!

Martin Harris21/07/2019 01:05:29
8870 forum posts
221 photos

Surely that only reinforces the accuracy - you would expect real time answers from mission control where the recordings were made and the only delay being on answers from the remote sources. Don't forget that there were at least 4 parties involved and 2 of them (CapCom and the camera operator were definitely earth based). I very much doubt that they were using a duplex radio link to the lunar module or lander but the recordings were most likely made from multiple sources - hence you would get simultaneous conversation.

Edited By Martin Harris on 21/07/2019 01:08:35

Tim A21/07/2019 01:05:41
217 forum posts
11 photos

I wonder if the doubters and conspiracy theorists were born after the Apollo Mission? As one that grew up following the Space Race, I have no doubt that it happened. I can remember JFK's speech in 1963 and from then on followed it avidly through Newspapers, T.V. & film, cutting all the clippings out and pasting them in a scrape book (wish I still had it) Everyone I knew was aghast when the three Astronauts were incinerated on the launch pad. We all held our breath when Apollo 13 was crippled, I sat on the gym floor with my 4th form class and listened to Neil Armstrong step on the Moon. We watched Skylab go over our house from the garden I have been to Houston to mission control seen the Saturn 5 Rocket and others No Sorry it was real alright.

Martin Harris21/07/2019 01:22:16
8870 forum posts
221 photos
Posted by Martin McIntosh on 21/07/2019 00:13:26:

I accept that many thousands of people were involved but it would only have taken a handful, suitably paid a few $m each to keep quiet and dupe them, as well as the rest of the world.

More brickbats expected!

Seriously? There were hundreds if not thousands of highly intelligent and well educated engineers working on the project who would have questioned any abnormalities - surely by now due to conscience, money problems or greed at least one of them with some credibility would have spoken out...maybe even on their "deathbed".

You might think of them as brickbats but I suspect that most of the comments you disagree with are meant as reality checks and not aimed as insults.

Edited By Martin Harris on 21/07/2019 01:25:54

J D 821/07/2019 06:49:26
1308 forum posts
78 photos

I wonder if Columbus, Drake or Cook came home to " Now tell the truth. Where have you really been ? "

Cuban821/07/2019 10:11:53
2758 forum posts
13 photos
Posted by Martin McIntosh on 21/07/2019 00:13:26:

G.S., thanks for calling me a troll. I am only reporting what I saw when it supposedly happened.

M.H.,

That video looked quite good, maybe too good compared with the earlier transmissions. I was referring to the Apollo 11 lift off, not the later ones.

It only goes to confirm my suspicions that this lot was fabricated because they often forgot to put in the 2.5 sec delay between instruction/response/confirmation, especially towards the end when they were actually talking over each other.

Kennedy said that it would happen before the end of the decade. The Yanks would have looked very foolish if they did not come up with something by then.

More brickbats expected!

Martin.............you are kidding aren't you? Perhaps I'm missing your joke on us?

Edited By Cuban8 on 21/07/2019 10:19:01

Colin Leighfield21/07/2019 10:22:52
5961 forum posts
2492 photos

Oh dear! All of this “fake” nonsense was started by a disgruntled ex NASA employee who realised that he could make a load of money by writing a book, living in his caravan out in the sticks with a load of cats. The sites where the landers returned from and even footprints are visible now from the satellite in low moon orbit, that I think was launched by the Japanese? Bearing in mind that it is now possible to see us from satellites in low earth orbit that’s clearly not a problem. A laser reflecting mirror placed on the surface by one of the expeditions is still returning signals now. End of as far as I’m concerned, this is done history and I am excited by the next step, just a I was in the sixties when I followed the Apollo adventures with fascination. Bring it on.

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 21/07/2019 10:23:36

Andrew Ray21/07/2019 11:20:48
715 forum posts
19 photos

....and the earth really is flatcrying

J D 821/07/2019 11:32:38
1308 forum posts
78 photos

Thank you Colin, and Andrew the bit of the Earth I am on is definitely not flat, if fact a good slope soaring site in a north wind.wink

Edited By J D 8 on 21/07/2019 11:33:52

Simon Chaddock21/07/2019 11:54:42
5466 forum posts
2865 photos

Interesting that on the day of 50th anniversary of the Moon landing a Russian rocket and capsule of similar design vintage took an American astronaut to the International space station!

Doc Marten21/07/2019 12:06:48
378 forum posts
4 photos

C'mon Martin,

You have your doubts and I'm not going to judge you on that, you have your own reasons for not being convinced however I believe that the evidence is overwhelming.

Just about every Earth tracking station on the planet must have been following and recording the progress of the Apollo mission including the Soviets, if there had been any question of foul play they, as the other runner in the race would've shouted it louder than anybody, the moon rock and other samples brought back on that mission have been examined endlessly by scientists from around the world including the former Soviet Union, is there evidence to suggest it came from anywhere but the moon?

Engine Doctor21/07/2019 12:16:45
2315 forum posts
28 photos

I watched the moon walk at the fire station when I was a young fireman not long out of training school , Southwark TS if thereare any ex LFB members out there they wil fond or foul memmorise of the place . Our Station office called everyone to the TV room to watch the moon walk ,we watched it during a work period as it was telivised during the day some hours after the actual landing. Great times.

The conspiracy theory made a great movie " Capricorn one" and I believe thats all it was a theory and an insult to all the brave men an women who have gone into space.

The only downside to all the space exploration is that we are poluting the space with junk just as we have done the earth with plastic. About time space junk was cleaned up !

Doc Marten21/07/2019 12:19:24
378 forum posts
4 photos
Posted by Simon Chaddock on 21/07/2019 11:54:42:

Interesting that on the day of 50th anniversary of the Moon landing a Russian rocket and capsule of similar design vintage took an American astronaut to the International space station!

There was a programme on TV many years ago which compared the Soviet rocket motors with the NASA designed motors.

The Americans designed them with the traditional approach, mind boggling calculations based on theories and past experience, the Soviets however approached it a slightly different way, they still used the mind boggling theoretical calculations and experience but were also brave enough to see if it worked when the designs said it may not, they ended up producing far more powerful rocket motors for the Soyuz craft which the Americans latter copied which are still in use today, dropping their own design in favour them.

Edited By Doc Marten on 21/07/2019 12:29:51

Doc Marten21/07/2019 12:26:26
378 forum posts
4 photos
Posted by Engine Doctor on 21/07/2019 12:16:45:

I watched the moon walk at the fire station when I was a young fireman not long out of training school , Southwark TS if thereare any ex LFB members out there they wil fond or foul memmorise of the place . Our Station office called everyone to the TV room to watch the moon walk ,we watched it during a work period as it was telivised during the day some hours after the actual landing. Great times.

STC was sold off and has now been levelled, Massey Shaw will be turning in his grave.

Wilco Wingco21/07/2019 13:08:32
163 forum posts
3 photos

Doc Martin.

My final comment NOT an anti American rant. Watch this and judge for yourself?.

**LINK**

Doc Marten21/07/2019 13:19:46
378 forum posts
4 photos
Posted by Wilco Wingco on 21/07/2019 13:08:32:

Doc Martin.

My final comment NOT an anti American rant. Watch this and judge for yourself?.

**LINK**

Honestly wilco I'm not interested, I haven't opened the link nor do I intend to. This is a topic about the moon landings not a political debate

J D 821/07/2019 13:37:48
1308 forum posts
78 photos

+ 1 ONE on that, this about the moon landings.

Cuban821/07/2019 13:39:01
2758 forum posts
13 photos
Posted by Doc Marten on 21/07/2019 12:19:24:
Posted by Simon Chaddock on 21/07/2019 11:54:42:

There was a programme on TV many years ago which compared the Soviet rocket motors with the NASA designed motors.

The Americans designed them with the traditional approach, mind boggling calculations based on theories and past experience, the Soviets however approached it a slightly different way, they still used the mind boggling theoretical calculations and experience but were also brave enough to see if it worked when the designs said it may not, they ended up producing far more powerful rocket motors for the Soyuz craft which the Americans latter copied which are still in use today, dropping their own design in favour them.

Edited By Doc Marten on 21/07/2019 12:29:51

The Russians didn't always get it right and with the N1 (Saturn V competitor - sort of) it was poorly engineered and lacked the technical superiority of US industry. The whole vehicle used LOX and Kerosene rather than LOX and liquid Hydrogen in the upper stages, probably because of the severe engineering difficulties of manufacturing large cryogenic tanks with all the associated problems of weld integrity, insulation etc - that the Americans almost came to grief over themselves.

Clearly affected by the death of the 'Chief Designer' the multi engined N1 first stage of some 30 motors (it was thought, incorrectly as it turned out, that combustion instability was an insurmountable problem with very large rocket engines, hence the many small ones strategy) was always going to be a problem and so it proved to be. Interestingly as has been said, the engines did undergo development and eventually went on to be individually powerful and reliable units that the Americans used.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us