Forum sponsored by CML

Slec/Apache Chipmunk kit advice.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
john s21/07/2019 14:49:48
61 forum posts
2 photos

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying one of these kits, probably the RAF trainer version.

The main question I have is about the two piece wing, I've found some old build threads where people have abandoned the idea due to it being a flimsy and impractical arrangement and just glassed the the wing halves together, as I need it to be two piece can anyone tell me how they find it works for them.

john

David P Williams21/07/2019 15:45:44
840 forum posts
282 photos

Been fine for me, although I was also a bit sceptical initially. It's not a model to be thrown around in high G manoevres anyway - lazy graceful aeros like the real thing.

Tim Flyer21/07/2019 16:57:02
1037 forum posts
181 photos

I will be interested to hear about this too as I bought the RAF trainer version from SLEC last month and it’s my next project after I finish my smaller Slingsby Swallow glider .

john s21/07/2019 18:33:05
61 forum posts
2 photos

That's good to read David, I'm pretty well sold on one now just have to decide which version to go for.

I looked at the photos in your collection and particularly liked the elevator trim tab and u/c legs, nice work!

john

David P Williams21/07/2019 18:50:29
840 forum posts
282 photos

Thanks John. I had one of the first kits from SLEC so had a few teething problems, but I'm sure you'll be OK. My plan was stretched by nearly 20mm compared to the cut parts - just go with the cut parts and you'll be fine. It flies really nicely, even though mine is heavy because of all the detail I added it still has a very soft stall and lands at walking speed with full flaps. No dramas.

john s21/07/2019 19:36:59
61 forum posts
2 photos

That's even better! Its flight handling is praised in almost every build thread I've read and is a big plus for me.

ASH.21/07/2019 21:00:07
304 forum posts

My Apache Chipmunk has a one piece wing and I can just about shoehorn it in into my saloon car, The fuselage is quite large too but it all fits in okay.

I was just thinking - perhaps when Tim gets his Chippy made,(which shouldn't take too long knowing his build speed) we could all get together for 3 ship (or more) formation flying! It would be spectacular seeing a number of fifth scale Chipmunks all flying together at scale speed. And who knows maybe we could put on a display at W&W's..And have Slec sponsor us laugh

David, what servos' are you using in yours, and what engine?

David P Williams22/07/2019 09:32:34
840 forum posts
282 photos

Hi ASH - I think it has Hitec HS325HB in the wings and 5485HB on elevator and rudder. It's a Laser 150 up front - lovely. Only problem was getting the tank height right.

john s22/07/2019 17:37:31
61 forum posts
2 photos

I phoned Slec this afternoon to ask a few questions about these kits, and they could not have been more pleasant and helpful.

Found a very informative build thread on RCU well worth a look if if you haven't seen it already

**LINK**

Still humming and harring smiley

Edited By john s on 22/07/2019 17:41:38

David P Williams22/07/2019 17:55:24
840 forum posts
282 photos

John - a lot of that thread is quite old, and refers to the old Apache Aviation kit. SLEC did quite a bit of re-design so some of the problems reported have been sorted out on the new kits

Tim Flyer22/07/2019 21:06:10
1037 forum posts
181 photos

My Chipmunk will have my Laser 180 . I’m sure lots more than needed but as I gave it spare it’s going in . I probably want be able to make a start until later in August though . I used to have the smaller Blackhorse Chipmunk which I loved flying so this is my replacement (upgrade ! )😊

john s22/07/2019 21:44:05
61 forum posts
2 photos

Yes I guessed that was the case David but thought it quite good to get the general idea. I feel fine with the kit quality and am no longer concerned with the wing joining method, and it fits my car!!! So the only thing left to do is get the RAF trainer once I open my wallet, always the hard part!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us