Forum sponsored by CML

Fradley Scale Day July 21 2019

Nice day.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Colin Leighfield21/07/2019 21:52:27
5969 forum posts
2494 photos

3a1a6e85-a082-49e0-a594-f7e8da0f2a31.jpegAlthough we had a decent turn-out and reasonable weather, we aren’t seeing the numbers we used to a few years back. One plane that really caught my eye though was the beautiful Heston Phoenix, but I stupidly forgot to ask the name of the owner/pilot. There were only six of these built and this one was finished as the single example sold to someone in Australia, sadly destroyed in a fatal accident. A forty ft. wingspan four seater that did 54cf5871-80f7-4c22-9310-878f127f327f.jpeg150 mph on only about 200 hp from a DH Gypsy. A clean design with undercarriage retracting into sponsons to which the wing struts were also attached. The model flew really well and looked great against the changing cloud-scape.

G194021/07/2019 22:44:56
3523 forum posts
1 photos

The designer and builder of the Heston Phoenix is Derek Martin of the Rolls Royce (Hucknall) MAC (though as the airfield has been built on the club's moved, I believe, to a field near Annesley). I had a long chat with Derek at Cosford a couple of weeks ago and asked him about the Phoenix, which was the first aircraft with a retractable undercarriage.

Derek has just turned 90 but has designed and is working on, with some help, a very large biplane (near half scale, I think but I can't recall which one - civilian and US, I think ) but hasn't flown himself for a year or two. I remember when he was designing it the first thing he did was the retracts (on a worm drive IIRC) because he said if he couldn't get them right it wasn't worth doing the rest. Obviously he succeeded.

I think Derek had a few of his designs published in either RCME or RCMW. I remember closely examining the covering on one of his builds looking for a hint of a wrinkle or crease; I was unsuccessful He was one of my early instructors and a fine modeller and gent.

Geoff

Foxfan21/07/2019 23:01:33
848 forum posts
6 photos

What a beautiful aircraft! I'd heard of it for years, yet had obviously never seen one!

Martin

Colin Leighfield22/07/2019 07:33:49
5969 forum posts
2494 photos

Thanks for that Geoff. Foxfan, I recognised the plane and as I remember there was a feature on it in Aeroplane magazine a while ago. There had been an incident with the Australian plane that was considered to have possibly over-stressed the airframe and it was later destroyed in a fatal accident with the possibility that the previous concern was a factor.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us