Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Sciabola or Italian Sabre

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Alan Gorham_09/11/2019 13:49:59
1069 forum posts
129 photos

You can (I generally do) add another light spray of white to seal the mask.

pict3023.jpg

Black paint then goes on, again a light dust coat around the edges of the mask before following up with heavier coats to prevent paint bleed.

pict3024.jpg

Finally, you get to the nervewracking (it's exciting really) bit of removing all the masking. Remember to pull the tape or vinyl gently back on itself. Never just rip it up from the surface as you can drag paint up!!

pict3025.jpg

No paint bleed, a nice crisp result, but there is one boo-boo! I left a tiny gap in my masking around the white cloud and so part of the green had some white overspray. I cleaned it up and touched it in but it is visible and it shows how important preparation is at every step before blasting paint at the model.

Hope that was of some interest even if you don't go this route with your Sabre...

Peter Garsden13/11/2019 11:57:27
1626 forum posts
1204 photos

Really interesting and very helpful Alan, not that I have that much patience myself. I have used my vinyl cutter to make paint and cut decals on the JP only rather than paint masks. Not as keen as you on painting.

Alan Gorham_13/11/2019 12:03:24
1069 forum posts
129 photos

I just think nothing looks more like paint than paint, plus I can't get stickers to stay stuck down Pete!

Steve McLaren13/11/2019 22:54:21
226 forum posts
232 photos

Thanks Al. Very informative. I will refer back to this later. I think I will try to do more of mine by painting this time. I will see if I can get hold of some of this Oramask 810. I assume that for those of us who don't, have Vinyl cutter, we could put it through an inkjet printer and cut out with a scalpel?

dirk tinck24/11/2019 11:49:37
286 forum posts
510 photos

Hi Alan ,great job with the paint masks. I'm not a fan of vinyl either

Could you sell me a set ? I'm doing the same as Pete Garsden and i saw your offer to him .

Did you also include the writing ''CAVALINO RAMPANTE'' Written on the nose ?

Please name your price send to my adress.

Thanks anyway , Dirk.

Alan Gorham_24/11/2019 13:59:49
1069 forum posts
129 photos

Dirk yes of course I can make you a set of masks. I will check out the writing for the nose. I will just have to trace over the drawing with this writing on.

The price? No charge for PSS friends...I have the masking film anyway.

Just send me a private message with your address in.

Alan Gorham_24/11/2019 14:02:41
1069 forum posts
129 photos
Posted by Steve McLaren on 13/11/2019 22:54:21:

Thanks Al. Very informative. I will refer back to this later. I think I will try to do more of mine by painting this time. I will see if I can get hold of some of this Oramask 810. I assume that for those of us who don't, have Vinyl cutter, we could put it through an inkjet printer and cut out with a scalpel?

Steve I've only just seen this, so sorry for the late reply. I guess you could print an outline on the backing paper of the Oramask. It would have to be a mirror image if it was text of course. I'm not sure printer ink would stick to the masking film itself. As with Dirk, if you want a set of masks making then just let me know. No charge of course!

dirk tinck24/11/2019 14:42:26
286 forum posts
510 photos

Thanks Alan ,thats very kind !I owe you .mayby this saves time ?I'm not into computers...

images.jpg

Alan Gorham_24/11/2019 15:17:51
1069 forum posts
129 photos

Yes I can use that. Excellent!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us