Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Steel ruler

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
trebor03/08/2019 16:49:15
1939 forum posts
216 photos

If anyone is after a cheap 60cm steel ruler there is some in Poundland for a quid. I know it's not he best but it's better than I had before.

Peter Miller03/08/2019 18:43:18
11771 forum posts
1416 photos
10 articles

I haven't seen it but from past experience, just place the edge up against a straight surface.

I got a beautiful 1 metre aluminium rule from Woolworths many years ago. Yes it is straight but three others were not when I tried them

John Stainforth04/08/2019 00:15:31
406 forum posts
64 photos

To check whether a straight edge is straight, just look down it. The eye is as good as a laser beam for judging that.

Foxfan04/08/2019 00:21:19
931 forum posts
7 photos

Well said, that man. I once worked with a car designer who could look at a clay model and spot if it was out one side to the other, by as little as half a millimetre. "yeah sure", we scoffed and measured the model again on a Stiefelmayer measuring machine (accurate to 1/100th of a mil.) and he was spot on! The eye is astonishingly accurate.

BTW, to be pedantic it's a steel rule. A ruler runs a country.

Martin

trebor04/08/2019 08:02:56
1939 forum posts
216 photos

It's difficult to tell if it's streight in the shop as its in a plastic sheath with a cable tie round the top so you can't slide it out. So far it's seems ok, a bit on the flexable side though but still better than what I had before. My other was hinged in the middle which made it stand off surfaces over 30cm and it made using cutting blades tricky.

Martin Dance 104/08/2019 09:03:08
221 forum posts
33 photos

Simplest way to check the straightness of a rule or straightedge is to place it on a flat surface, a piece of white contiboard is ideal and using a sharp pencil draw a line along the edge(s).Then flip the rule/straightedge over and align the same edge with the pencil line at the ends of the rule/straightedge. Now draw a second line. It should coincide exactly with the first line, if not it's not straight.

Geoff S04/08/2019 10:24:36
4035 forum posts
68 photos

... and of course lasers aren't very good if you want to slice a straight line with a scalpel.

As John says, an eye along its length soon shows up any errors, as it does when checking the alignment of wing and tailplane on a build.

Geoff

Ray Wood 404/08/2019 16:13:29
268 forum posts
44 photos

Hi all,

Spent £40 on a 1 metre steel rule 30 years ago, best money I ever spent !!

Regards Ray

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Subscribe now
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!