Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

JP Albatross Glider

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Roger 219/11/2008 16:54:00
145 forum posts
7 photos

I have a query for one of you bright chaps out there, I am rather new to electric flight and usually fly IC power. I got the above mentioned glider to carry in our motor home on our travels across Europe.

I recently took it to my local club field for a relaxing flight (tempted by blue skies),  It helps if the TX is programmed for the same plane you are flying.

I need a replacement for the motor (it had to land pointy bit first, at a rate of knots).

The motor has only HRS550S-8819F      DC7.2v. written on it ........(I suspect it's a Speed 600)

Any suggestions ? The LiPo flight pack and the ESC are all ok; God knows how.

Thanking you all in advance 

Roger 

simon barr19/11/2008 17:56:00
1032 forum posts
16 photos

Hello Roger,

Although you can replace a Can type motor for a few quid, it may be worth spending just a little more on an Outrunner.  Have a look at BRC Hobbies, I'm sure you will find something suitable there. You will, of course also need to change the ESC, but again they need not be too expensive.

Tim Mackey19/11/2008 17:59:00
20919 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles

Well that is a speed 600 motor yes, so unless you fancy going brushless ( which means a new ESC also however brushless motor /ESC combos are real cheap these days ) then its a speeed 600 you need.

See here for either brushed or brushless deals

this would probably be Ok as brushless replacement with a bigger prop on

Simon.....posted at same time as you mate !

simon barr19/11/2008 18:17:00
1032 forum posts
16 photos
Got to be quick here, Timbo...
Roger 219/11/2008 20:59:00
145 forum posts
7 photos

Hi Simon , Hi Timbo

Thank you for your prompt replies, it seems from the site blurb that the  BRC brushed JP 660 motor is a direct replacement for the motor, Tera  (very)  Ferma   re-shaped, so that would be a very easy replacement.

It would though be nice to have a better climb out and use brush-less as in the other link.  Although if I understand things correctly, I would need an in-runner, to be able to fit it into the fuselage; as was the old brushed motor.

I would want to retain the looks of the model and it's size and keep with a folding prop as it has to fit in a small space on it's travels.

Thanks again

Roger 

Tim Mackey19/11/2008 21:50:00
20919 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
BRC does a WASP inrunner described as replacement for the 600.
Roger 220/11/2008 18:41:00
145 forum posts
7 photos

Thanks for that Timbo,  I have had a look and I do seem to have a few options now . I have been trawling through the forum andhave found others who have transcended to the heights of brushless gliders so we will see.

I will let you know how I go on, at least my Albatross will carry on travelling and flying, it's been in Holland, Austria, Italy and covered a lot of France; it flies better in the sun.

Cheers and beers

Roger 

Roger 227/11/2008 23:22:00
145 forum posts
7 photos

Hi Simon, Hi Timbo

Well I cheated and used the replacement brushed motor for the Albatross, I have taken all on-board over the brush-less set up and I am now hooked on electric fright (flight), I have though an awful lot of diesel and glow fuel to use up first though.   

Yes ..... diesel.... I am of that funny age where diesel was the norm.

The Albatross has to fit in it's original packaging under the floor of the Motor-home and this was the easiest way for me to go , I will have to post some pictures of holiday flying at some point.

One question for you two experts if you don't mind, the LiPo set up I am using for this model is a 2 cell 2,200 mAh pack;  the charger I have is a Pro Peak Prodigy II. This doesn't have cell balancing as an option, I measure the cells voltage every few months with a digital volt meter via the test connection. The last time there was 0.15 volt difference between them (although it is usually less), I then connect a flashlight bulb across the high cell and discharge it until they match is this sufficient or should I spend money on an all singing and dancing charger?

Thanking you both in advance..

Roger 

Tim Mackey28/11/2008 10:52:00
20919 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
What you are doing to balance the pack is fine...crude but fine.... I have some old 3 cell packs here which  have no balance taps fitted at all ( they never bothered in the early LiPo days ) and they still perform pretty well after around 5 years of hard use.
simon barr28/11/2008 15:12:00
1032 forum posts
16 photos

Hello Roger, I am no expert, he has already answered you above...but thanks for the compliment

Diesels eh ? I can smell the ether now....  I have got rid of most of mine now, but most of them were in control-liners.

Tim Mackey28/11/2008 15:22:00
20919 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
Ah yes...the pleasures of firing up that little PAW and twiddling the compression screw.....fun but rather troublesome at times....and noisy! Sniffing the Ether is definately politically incorrect these days
Roger 228/11/2008 16:23:00
145 forum posts
7 photos

Hi to you both... I have to admit.... I like the smell of the diesel fuel and I don't think the exhaust is too unpleasant either,  I have a couple of slightly larger gliders with power pods and this is where the diesel comes in.

I do fly power though and have a few planes using glow fuel, including a 30 year old biplane;   by the way ...yes!!... my diesels are PAW's sad or what!!!

Again thanks gents.

Roger 

simon barr28/11/2008 16:48:00
1032 forum posts
16 photos
Nothing wrong with PAW's...I had a 1.5, a 2.5 and a 3.5, all great little engines.
Eric Bray29/11/2008 17:56:00
6600 forum posts
2 photos
And British - made in Macclesfield!
Mike Stevens14/10/2017 07:43:33
463 forum posts
57 photos

Just managed to acquire one of these at local auction for £20 complete with radio, nicad etc and looking to convert to brushless to replace the original 540 motor. Trying to locate a suitable motor - something similar to what is in my Red Eagle 2M glider but can't for the life of me remember what i used so any suggestions or pointers welcome....

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Addlestone Models
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us