Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Isle of sheppey flying

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
nigel newby10/08/2019 19:30:16
161 forum posts
40 photos

A few weeks ago I was on the Isle of Sheppey, and saw a few chaps flying down by the last retreat cafe on the Shellness road just past Leysdown.

Does anyone know anything about this club, as I have been unable to find any referance on the internet. We have a caravan just down the road from there, and it could be ideal for me. All the best Nigel

Alan Gorham_10/08/2019 19:56:37
1232 forum posts
138 photos

Medway Model Flying Club fly on the isle of sheppey.

nigel newby10/08/2019 20:08:42
161 forum posts
40 photos

Thanks for that Alan. Yes I have seen their website, but it is not the group I am looking for. At least I don't think it is, because whoever was flying had powered models, and the Medway site is for gliders and free flight only. I have also found the Barton Point club, but that is not the club either. All the best Nigel

Alan Gorham_10/08/2019 20:27:26
1232 forum posts
138 photos

Free flight models can be powered!

nigel newby10/08/2019 20:33:41
161 forum posts
40 photos

Cheers Alan, yes but I fly both electric powered gliders and I/C radio controled planes with a 5ft wing spen. Also the medway site is about a mile or so inland. The place I am looking at is about 300 yds inland.

Mike Etheridge 111/08/2019 17:08:31
1543 forum posts
429 photos

I am a member of the Bartons Point club ,but have flown on one of the Medway club's fields by invitation to their free flight and single / two channel RC event. They do fly on another site with IC / electric models. I think 'Engine Doctor' is a member of the Medway club and he may well respond to your query?

nigel newby11/08/2019 18:43:18
161 forum posts
40 photos

Thanks for that Mike, I did visit the Barton point club on the 4th Aug. I may well join it if possible, but thought that I would find out about the other place first, before commiting myself.

Mike Etheridge 111/08/2019 18:53:57
1543 forum posts
429 photos

i was also there at Bartons Point on the 4th Nigel. It was the club's scale day which was somewhat mucked up with a gusty wind blowing across the flying strip. That said some of the models flew but not the biplanes including my flair SE5A.

nigel newby11/08/2019 18:58:05
161 forum posts
40 photos

Well we possibly had a chat. Nice site, as long as the wind is OK. Question I forgot to ask when there. How often is the wind too much to fly in down there, as it is right on the coast.

Engine Doctor11/08/2019 21:01:34
2466 forum posts
39 photos

Hi Nigel, Mike and Alan The group who fly at Shellness are nothing to do with Medway MFC Not sure its legal to fly there anymore but as it's quite remote they seem to do as they like .. We currently don't have an active site on Sheppey due to a C**K up with the farmer and his secretary !!! we paid our rent she told him we hadn't and he ploughed up and cropped the site angry. Hopefully we can rebuild the site and have the Vintage RC /free-flight meetings again next year. .

Our site is at Iwade a couple of miles from the Sheppey crossing I am a member of BP as well as MMFC and its often windy at both sites, you just have to learn to fly in it

nigel newby12/08/2019 20:47:21
161 forum posts
40 photos

Thanks for that Doc. I will not be down to Sheppey till next week at the earlist, but will keep an eye oye on the shellness road. OK on the wind I though it might be like that.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!