By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Phil's F-86 Sabre build thread

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

McG 696916/08/2020 21:31:26
3464 forum posts
1322 photos

No worries, Phil.

... and indeed, Fred's Sauce is sanding down just like butter. Nothing to compare with P88 or even build-up filler... yes

My best (read 'easiest) results were when I 'crossed' the layers , i.e. waiting for the first one to dry up a little and then applying the second one at 90°.

Then sanding down when dry and applying the second layer (or third and fourth, if you prefer) the same way.

Here also, I guess...' practice makes skills'... wink

Cheers & keep cool

Chris

dirk tinck17/08/2020 10:27:39
717 forum posts
1058 photos

Maybe try a spunge roller to apply the sauce?

Phil Cooke17/08/2020 11:26:01
2672 forum posts
1858 photos

Yep - thats a good idea - I'm all done now on the wings, tails and flappy bits, I'll consider using the small roller when we get to that stage on the fuselage!

McG 696917/08/2020 12:32:10
3464 forum posts
1322 photos

Hi Dirk & Phil,

I never tried a foam roller for the Sauce but that seems to be a great idea.

Or a combination of the two, brushing on the Sauce and then 'level' it with the roller...

I'll have to try it out when at that stage later on.

Cheers & keep cool, gents

Chris

Phil Cooke17/08/2020 20:36:30
2672 forum posts
1858 photos

Well the wing is now all sanded back having been brush painted with 2 thin layers of the sauce.

The completed wing before any sauce application weighed in at 507.7g. With 2 coats of the sauce added this increased to 530.5g. After a good sanding back, with the sauce now just filling the low spots in the glass weave, the total weight has reduced to 516.5g, meaning the 'flow coat' has only weighed in at 8.8g.

I'm quite pleased with that, and the surface feels really good to the touch - it's finished all over now ready for top primer.

sauced wing 1.jpg

sauced wing 2.jpg

Phil Cooke24/08/2020 22:01:39
2672 forum posts
1858 photos

Final job before the wing can be primed was to cut out and fit the little wing fences. No two diagrams I have for the Sabre show these fences quite the same shape, they seem to vary in length and some have the L/E and T/E angles perpendicular to the wing surface some have them vertical. Anyway I've sized and shaped them to what I think is correct...the important thing is they are true to the airflow and vertical when viewed from the front!

I cut the fences from 4 pieces of 1/64" ply, cross ply laminated to make them nice and stiff at 1/32" final thickess.

wing fence 1.jpg

The wing was carefully marked up, the slots were cut with a brand knew scalpel and cleaned up with a file such that the fences were a nice push fit.

wing fence 2.jpg

wing fence 3.jpg

wing fence 4.jpg

They will be removed and primed separately to aid priming of the wing but then glued in place before the final top coat is added.

Phil Cooke24/08/2020 22:04:43
2672 forum posts
1858 photos

img_2011.jpg

Steve Houghton24/08/2020 22:13:49
592 forum posts
442 photos

Superb attention to detail, Phil. Your models always stand out because of these little extras.

McG 696925/08/2020 07:15:54
3464 forum posts
1322 photos

Splendid detailing, as usual, Phil. yes

Fortunately for me, the Dog doesn't sport those wing fences... I knew I made an 'easy' choice when deciding for the Dog... cool

Cheers & keep safe

Chris

Phil Cooke01/09/2020 18:18:02
2672 forum posts
1858 photos

From baby talc pink to battle ship grey! Good to get some of the parts in final primer beer

primer 1.jpg

McG 696902/09/2020 17:31:55
3464 forum posts
1322 photos

Looking great, Phil. yes

... and indeed, good to have some parts primed and ready to go. cocktail

Cheers & keep safe

Chris

Phil Cooke20/09/2020 18:15:24
2672 forum posts
1858 photos

Not much to report really over the last couple of weeks - around work and family my modelling time has been utilised in other ways - either reporting on our last event or working out how (or if) to run our next one in October! Fingers crossed we are not all on a full lockdown again by then!!!

I'm still final sanding the fus in prep for glass...crying 2

The wing received another coat of 'sauce' on the underside as I had noticed a little sag line along a join in the skins - this has now been remedied and the wing is ready for final primer then paint. To aid that process I've built a little painting jig so the wing can be held secure via the wing bolts in either orientation. It's not as cool a design as Dirk's but it's functional. Should make the painting a little easier.

wing spraying jig 1.jpg

Some foam enables a soft grip at the back around the nylon bolts.

wing spraying jig 2.jpg

And at the front the wing just drops on around the wing dowels. Just high enough off the bench for the airbrushing...

wing spraying jig 3.jpg

McG 696920/09/2020 18:39:13
3464 forum posts
1322 photos

... just amazing, Phil.

Your jigs are just as 'immaculate' as the other parts of your Sabre. surprise

I might have to copy this one as well then... blush

Cheers & stay alert, Chief

Chris

Phil Cooke21/09/2020 15:31:00
2672 forum posts
1858 photos

The weather was good so with the spray jig complete we got some primer on the wing in the garden!

wing primer.jpg

Two coats in fact, with a very fine sand between them. Dried really fast in the warm weather and the surface looked really good with the pink sauce now hidden beneath!

McG 696921/09/2020 17:30:21
3464 forum posts
1322 photos

... really envious of your paint jig, Phil.

Shame you had to hide your pink Sauce though... sad

Did you use your airbrush or rattle cans for your primer?

Cheers

Chris

Phil Cooke21/09/2020 18:14:22
2672 forum posts
1858 photos

Just rattle cans for the primer Chris, top coats will all be airbrush. I do feel a bit better now its not all pink.

Phil Cooke29/10/2020 21:40:50
2672 forum posts
1858 photos

A month since my last update embarrassed - and truth be told not a huge amount to show for the time, not on the Sabre build anyway...

During the last week of September I was busy putting all the required Covid related governance in place for our final planned flying event of the year (10/11th Oct) with a track and trace system and event risk assessment all complete as well as additional signage all made ready - only for it then to be cancelled due to the Welsh travel restrictions coming into play the week before we were due to fly! A dissapointing end to our season.

The wing has had another coat of primer with a good sanding in between which has generated a surface I'm now happy to put the top coat paint onto with the airbrush.

I've also added the final details to the wing ready for paint, the prominant little the wingtip lights and the wing fences - both now fitted and awaiting some yellow paint!

I had to replace a number of halogen bulbs on an uplight lamp we have in our lounge - the vacform packaging looked about the right shape with a nicely formed dome so I used that material to cast some P38 'lollipops' - the wooden stick aiding handling during initial sanding.

wingtip lights 1.jpg

wingtip lights 2.jpg

A few minutes with a small sanding block got them looking nearer the part with the classic 1/2 teardrop shape.

wingtip lights 3.jpg

They then needed to be shaped to suit the wingtip radius... watch those fingertips! crying 2

wingtip lights 4.jpg

wingtip lights 5.jpg

and they were ready to fit. The tip centreline and position was marked up and they were glued on with a little epoxy.

wingtip lights 6.jpg

The wing fences were glued in place through the skins with some cyano initially and to finish off I added a tiny fillet of PVA to bridge the corner and make it all weatherproof ready for paint.

wingtip lights 7.jpg

Back to the fuselage which is still being glassed, bit by bit.

McG 696929/10/2020 22:08:56
3464 forum posts
1322 photos

... nice to have you back to the building board, Phil.

But, if allowed, you should stop coming out now with 'new' ideas as it makes it more and more difficult for me to follow up... frown

Great stuff, anyhow...

Cheers & keep safe

Chris

dirk tinck29/10/2020 23:10:09
717 forum posts
1058 photos

Great to see you back in the workshop Phil , looking good !

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Subscribe now
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!