Forum sponsored by CML

Phil's F-86 Sabre build thread

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Phil Cooke27/01/2020 08:11:53
2653 forum posts
1851 photos

Hi Chris,

I think I've only gotten away with it because of the symetrical Aileron section Im using as opposed to the usual flat bottomed T/E stock. I hope so anyway, otherwise it means my tips are drooping at the back by a few mm.

Blue foam will work to create the shape of the tips of course, but in my opinion it would be a little too soft to act as a wing tip - they take quite a lot of abuse on the slope and in transport. Of course you could put brown paper and PVA over the blue foam before you glass the wing - that would harden it up sufficiently.

Alternatively is to make up the thicker stock with laminate - it's only 1/2" on top so just 2 laminates of 1/4" will do it.

Phil Cooke29/01/2020 22:45:20
2653 forum posts
1851 photos

Nothing really to report following a busy few days at work, I've just not had the mindset to get back in the cold uninviting garage...

Tonight I have turned the building board over and started to at least familiarise myself with the kit of fuselage parts - I'll be following Harry's lead and will be making some sub-assemblies first - with any luck I should be planking by the weekend!

fuselage build 1.jpg

The coloured profile view of course is not my chosen scheme, I will be using that later for scale reference on wing pylons and drop tanks... for now - the wing has been put to one side complete effectively bar some final sanding.

Andy Meade30/01/2020 08:43:34
2787 forum posts
717 photos

Always good to get prepped chief. Proper Preparation Prevents Pretty Poor Performance and all that yes

Phil Cooke01/02/2020 23:22:19
2653 forum posts
1851 photos

1st February already! 3 months in...

Thankfully family plans this weekend have enabled me to focus pretty well with a couple of lengthy sessions in the garage today, and some good progress finally made on the fus.

I spent a couple of hours fettling the light ply parts, ensuring each element had a good dry fit whilst removing all burrs and machining witnesses. Once done I set about making up the 3 sub-assemblies for each half of the fuselage - the nose section, the wing box and the tail mount.

fus build 2.jpg

With those glued square I pinned out the straight top spine and the curved lower spine to the plan - I found a couple of the formers were a little short in height so adjusted the lower curve evenly to best suit, then glued everything in square and vertical working from nose to tail.

fus build 1.jpg

Once that was dry I added the balsa stringers, which require a fair bit of twist along their length to sit perpendicular to the local former surface. I found all the pre-cut slots to be bang on for width and depth - lovely!

fus build 3.jpg

fus build 4.jpg

Like others have stated I couldn't cope building one of the sides upside down so I rotated the building board and focused on one side at a time.  A really enjoyable days modelling going from a box of bits to a pair of fuselage sides now ready for some planking!

Edited By Phil Cooke on 01/02/2020 23:25:56

Phil Cooke02/02/2020 16:41:51
2653 forum posts
1851 photos

img_2013.jpg

Phil Cooke03/02/2020 22:45:41
2653 forum posts
1851 photos

And so the planking begins...

8mm wide with the first 'datum' plank pinned to the mid fuselage stringer, then working above and below that datum. I wonder how many constant width planks you can get on before you have to start tapering?

See you on the other side...

planking 1.jpg

dirk tinck03/02/2020 23:48:58
673 forum posts
957 photos

Hi Phil ,you will soon be having a fuse now !

Just a little advice : I found out the hard way ,that it's best to glass the wing before all the fitting to the fuse begins.

It gets so easy damaged that mine has a few (more than i like)scratches and dents ,even being carefull ...

Keep up the good work !

Andy Meade04/02/2020 09:12:59
2787 forum posts
717 photos

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step" - keep on planking!

Austin Massey 105/02/2020 21:31:05
15 forum posts
2 photos

Hi Phil, I seem to have lost Martins build thread, so I hope you can help me. I've got - fuselage (part built), Wing (part built) and am now stuck on the construction of the mid-section trailing edge. I cannot make out how it is built up from the photos or the plans. If the V is trailing edge section how thick is the fillet that joins them ?. Does the ply plate stand proud of the wing surface ?. I'm enjoying the build in a masochistic kind of way but I think my next one will be "box fusilaged"High wing trainer. Austinp1050174.jpg

Phil Cooke05/02/2020 23:16:10
2653 forum posts
1851 photos

Hi Austin - looks like you are making better progress than me!!

Yes the V is std trailing edge or aileron section and the 'fillet' would therefore have to be thin to blend with the back end of that aileron section. The ply plate DOES sit on the bottom of the wing and you then build a belly pan around/over it to blend the wing into the fuselage. Remember the wing will sit lower into the fuselage than it does in your photo, I'm assuming you still have to cut the wing saddle out etc...

take a look at Dirks blog - hes just completed this part of the build and has put up some excellent photos...

Dirks Sabre

and for reference, heres the Gamma build thread from Gordon/Martin

gamma build

Edited By Phil Cooke on 05/02/2020 23:18:09

Austin Massey 107/02/2020 15:52:21
15 forum posts
2 photos

Hi Phil, thanks for your prompt reply and the links. I may be ahead of you because I stay in the UK and don't go gadding off to Mexico. I'm sure you will soon pull ahead - I'm 3 steps forward 2 steps back. I thought I would show you my workshop before I lose it. I've just received an Eviction Notice (Kath wants to hold a Coffee Morning).p1050175.jpg

Phil Cooke07/02/2020 22:51:55
2653 forum posts
1851 photos

Nice one Austin - I hope Kath's cleaned up and let you back on your bench laugh

A bit more planking here tonight... about half way there. Tapering the strips now both front and back to avoid the highly oblique angled planks.

planking 2.jpg

McG 696908/02/2020 11:34:44
3410 forum posts
1296 photos

You're getting there I see, Phil. yes

Did you bevel your planks slightly as I did?

Cheers

Chris

Phil Cooke08/02/2020 14:51:06
2653 forum posts
1851 photos

Yes they are bevelled on one edge, the other is left square. Essential to bevel to get a good fit both inner and outer...

Phil Cooke08/02/2020 23:41:20
2653 forum posts
1851 photos

Ok - enough 'canoe' building for now... 3 sessions today from first thing before football practice with the last pins going in just an hour ago...tomorrow I look forward to taking these halves off the board and prepping them for the big join! I've made up the battery box and the ply wing mount plate in readiness!

planking 3.jpg

planking 4.jpg

dirk tinck08/02/2020 23:56:18
673 forum posts
957 photos

Hi phil ,nice going there,

Maybe it's a little late but not TOO late.

I finded out just now myself:

If i would build it again i would place the fuse former ,the one just behind the seat position,a little more to the back to have room for a'' bang'' seat.Just pre-fitted a pilot and it's going to be a tight fit !!

McG 696909/02/2020 08:39:07
3410 forum posts
1296 photos

Your 'canoe' looks great, Phil.

Nearly done with the planking now. cool

Regarding former F4 which is in the way of the ejection seat, it is certainly not too late.

What I did is gluing a transverse spruce strip to it, being later able to chop off the top part with a Dremel and a diamond blade.

707_sprucestrip_f4_900.jpg

This might be a bit late for Dirk now as his cockpit structure is already in place... indecision

Please also note that it might not work for a full length pilot, but my driver is only down to his waist.

Cheers

Chris

Phil Cooke09/02/2020 09:02:31
2653 forum posts
1851 photos

yeah a full depth cockpit on this one would be difficult with the battery box. Thanks for the 'heads up' with your findings whilst I can still make the alterations - but I must admit I hadn't considered making anything up beyond a sub-surface mounted bust on this one, in an attempt to keep it relatively simple. I'll give it a bit more thought before I close the fuselage halves later today...

Phil Cooke09/02/2020 09:25:17
2653 forum posts
1851 photos

The seat does look very thin (flate plate like with a stand off head rest) towards the top - an unusual (very early) design!

Some scale refs...

f-86 seat 1.jpg

f-86 cockpit 1.jpg

f-86 cockpit 2.jpg

f-86 cockpit 3.jpg

Phil Cooke09/02/2020 09:37:27
2653 forum posts
1851 photos

...and one I took at Duxford years back when we still had a UK based Sabre nerd

f-86 cockpit 4.jpg

A good reference for the height of the pilot and seat. The stand off headrest is like a Dremel polishing wheel! Some classis PSSA innovation required here!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!