Forum sponsored by CML

Fieseler Storch

HobbyKing version

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martin McIntosh13/08/2019 14:24:27
2947 forum posts
1083 photos

Whilst I really do not need any more models, I was quite attracted by the HK Storch when they sent an ad. for it. Described as a real builders` model and at a very reasonable price I hit that `buy` button. Plus points are that it has moveable slats and at 63" span would maybe take an OS 52S of which I have one left and doing nothing.

It arrived yesterday. They are not kidding when they say that it is for builders. The kit contains a myriad of bits. The standard of laser cutting is superb and the odd parts I have looked at can just be pushed from the sheets without lots of cutting. Just hope that they have this one right because after some duds I swore never to buy another kit, especially from them.

It is supplied with two blank firewalls in case you are daft enough to convert to i/c but they say that you will have to work out how by yourself. Fair enough.

It comes with a wing plan but only photos of the fus. construction which is a shame because whilst the electric motor box is adjustable for length to fit the fibreglass cowl, this will not be fitted for i/c. First thing for me is to get a SLEC mount before I can do anything.

Here is a small selection of the parts plus a couple of pics from the instructions.

fieseler storch 001.jpg

fieseler storch 002.jpg

fieseler storch 003.jpg

fieseler storch 004.jpg

fieseler storch 005.jpg

fieseler storch 006.jpg

fieseler storch 007.jpg

fieseler storch 008.jpg

Not sure quite when I shall start this but would be interested to hear from others on this.

Don Fry13/08/2019 15:03:15
4045 forum posts
45 photos

It's made by a company called Dancing Wings. I was trying to teach someone to fly, a good builder. He made the Eindekker they make. It had no rigging angles, all moving tailplane. But in fairness, an e mail to Dancing wings got a helpful reply. The wirework in his was well bent, but from cheesium.

Denis Watkins13/08/2019 15:07:53
3912 forum posts
61 photos

On heck Martin, there is a build blog on this very site

I twigged when Don stated Dancing Wings

**LINK**

Edited By Denis Watkins on 13/08/2019 15:08:11

Martin McIntosh13/08/2019 18:02:34
2947 forum posts
1083 photos

I did not realise that there was already a thread on this model, so could a mod. please transfer mine over to the earlier one?

Thanks.

McG 696913/08/2019 18:34:53
2622 forum posts
993 photos

... IMHO, 'Stearman's posts weren't really a thread, Martin.

He was just posting some pics collected from the web, mainly from HK & Banggood. Anyhow, he sold his projects and went back to his earlier interests being photography...

So, please just go on with your build thread. yes

Cheers

Chris

Robert Parker13/08/2019 19:04:24
912 forum posts
1172 photos

Hi Martin,

I very nearly bought one of these myself but ended up with their DR1.

I will be watching with interest and making some notes as to how well it all goes together especially the fuselage.

Regards

Robert

Don Fry13/08/2019 19:30:51
4045 forum posts
45 photos

Second hand, but I thought my learners bits went together very well. The instructions were basic, the wire was soft. And it did fly. But not for beginners. My learner made some bizarre decisions, not knowing better.

It did stike me, that a bit bigger would have got a better flier.

Geoff Sleath13/08/2019 21:20:40
3425 forum posts
295 photos

There's no way it can be as bad as my Easy-Built Models Ryan ST which is gradually taking shape despite the parts, drawings and instructions

I must admit I was tempted by the HK Storch because I think I like ugly aeroplanes for some reason (fellow feeling perhaps?). The only reason I resisted is that I have the Ryan to finish and a DB 60" Sopwith Pup tempting me like a siren to start glueing bits together (plus other kits hidden away).

Look forward to seeing it come together despite the fact you have chosen a glow engine as a power source. It'll make a change to see a reverse conversion - I usually need to modify for glow to electric.

Geoff

cymaz13/08/2019 22:37:19
8737 forum posts
1189 photos

That looks a lovely instruction booklet.

Colin Leighfield13/08/2019 22:54:13
5961 forum posts
2492 photos

Good one Martin. I am really attracted by this one and nearly bought it, but it would have been stupid with my current build queue so when I saw yesterday that it was out of stock, it was probably a good thing. I will follow this with real interest, it looks very promising to me and for £87! Amazing.

KiwiKid14/08/2019 01:33:23
475 forum posts
470 photos

Good luck with the build Martin.

Here's a link an RCG build: **LINK**

And a summary of the pics in the thread: **LINK**

storch.jpg

Martin McIntosh14/08/2019 09:39:12
2947 forum posts
1083 photos

Thanks for the support, particularly those links above which will come in very handy since I am much more used to building from plans.

The reasons that I am going down the i/c route are that I already have several WW2 electric models which are simply just not realistic in the air, and the fact that I have a suitable motor sitting around so nothing else to buy. Shame that the exhaust will have to poke out somewhere though.

Denis Watkins14/08/2019 10:10:26
3912 forum posts
61 photos

There is so much you can do with a 4 stroke manifold Martin

It does look like your .52FS will be inverted, which puts your exhaust outlet at the bottom of the cowl

A 90° elbow manifold, will put your silencer straight down if required

And also tight in within the cowl, to point where you like

You can allow the silencer to point down or pipe it to where you desire

Martian14/08/2019 11:14:32
2233 forum posts
1091 photos

Looking forward to this build Martin , I was sorely tempted and may get succumb oh the agony

Don Fry14/08/2019 11:39:02
4045 forum posts
45 photos

Is there not a dirt big oil cooler under the nose of a storch, looking like a cover for a 4 stroke silencer

Martin McIntosh14/08/2019 11:40:58
2947 forum posts
1083 photos

Just having a little look at this and trial fitting a few bits at the fus. front to see how well they fit while awaiting the engine mount. I put in the u/c T nuts then realised that these actually fit from underneath - the wrong way round so will probably need nuts and washers to prevent them from pulling out but can see no reason why I should not put the ply plate in the other way up.

The supplied i/c firewalls have a hole drilled and are centre marked for the right thrust offset. I shall need to work out just how far back the rear of the cowl should be. There is no indication of this in the pics. I can make balsa wedges to angle the firewall as required. Interesting that the electric version has no right thrust but mine certainly will.

Colin Bernard14/08/2019 19:48:25
480 forum posts
81 photos

Don't know if you have seen it but RC Model Geeks has done a full build of the DW Storch - in 35 YouTube videos!

The first is here. Some are hard work, but worth persevering with for the many tips he gives.

Martin McIntosh14/08/2019 21:39:59
2947 forum posts
1083 photos

Thanks Colin, I shall have a look tomorrow.

Martin McIntosh15/08/2019 16:55:42
2947 forum posts
1083 photos

God, he does stretch it out a bit. I notice that there is no comment on the wrong way up T nuts. Jumped from almost nothing to a nearly built fus.

Got my engine mount now and have worked out the thrust line details so all I have to do is build it!

No room in there for an internal silencer as far as I can see.

This could be a very long and tedious build.

Don Fry15/08/2019 17:25:06
4045 forum posts
45 photos

There a photos on the internet of these thing with what looks like a big external underslung fuel tank. That would be an easy location for a remote silencer, with some insulated bendy tube running in a groove in the fusalage floor.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
CML
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us