Forum sponsored by CML

Fieseler Storch

HobbyKing version

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martin McIntosh15/08/2019 20:16:45
2907 forum posts
1064 photos

Got one of those Hatori tubes Don, but the cowl is so shallow that even with other elbows I doubt if it could be fitted.

Anyway, that is a long way off to worry about just yet.

Martin McIntosh15/08/2019 21:32:59
2907 forum posts
1064 photos

Started to watch more of those videos and they are very informative indeed so far. Many possible pitfalls pointed out already and I am only on No. 6.

Martin McIntosh18/08/2019 14:42:45
2907 forum posts
1064 photos

Now that I have the basic fus. structure together I realised that those T nuts should in fact be fitted from the underside since the u/c must bolt on from the inside! Much debonder required.

Martin McIntosh22/08/2019 11:22:50
2907 forum posts
1064 photos

Some pics of the fus. ready to start covering. Added the parts to fill in the voids as per the videos and changed the front a little by widening the gap to accept a small tank.

fieseler storch 010.jpg

fieseler storch 011.jpg

fieseler storch 012.jpg

Now looking at the tail, you can see a few glaring omissions regarding the laser cutting. I shall simply chop off the ears and glue the parts together.

fieseler storch 009.jpg

The videos show the guy covering this without the sheeting but this is quality light balsa so I shall use it.

Colin Bernard22/08/2019 11:25:56
478 forum posts
81 photos

Its coming on nicely!

Martin McIntosh27/08/2019 19:17:28
2907 forum posts
1064 photos

Got the fus. minus all wing fixings and cockpit done and ready for covering the initial parts and was looking forward to the videos of the wing construction, but alas they just jump to a completed wing so a waste of time.

The tail, elevators, fin and rudder may as well have been made from 1/4" sheet; at least this could be shaped a little instead of having very thick TE`s. After all, why use three parts when thirty will do. A bit like a dreaded Guillows kit where the c.a. weighs more than the wooden bits.

The wing has a drawing showing the rib positions but otherwise can be likened to a thousand part jigsaw puzzle without a picture to go by.

I bought six servos for the wing but when they arrived they were analogue MG, not my usual digis. Wondered why they were so cheap so got six slim wing servos which will make installation much simpler. Three of the others will be fine in the fus.

Now getting the ribs sorted out and ready for fitting after I have figured out what goes where and in which order.

Wish me luck.

Martin McIntosh05/09/2019 20:10:54
2907 forum posts
1064 photos

OK, got two wing halves made up. More errors and things to watch out for, particularly fitting the hardwood piece W20 at the outset. I firstly pinned down the rear under spar ensuring that it was straight because everything else depends on this. Then W20 (there are also two other parts called W20!), slid the ribs over the carbon tube, added the top spar and the inner LE, pinned it all down and tack glued the lot with thin c.a. Added the hardwood ribs at the root and made up and fitted the tips. There is a small reference to W7-1 and W7-1 short. They look the same before removing from the sheet but they are not. Easily fixed.

You need to know which way to put the LE on as the pics. do not agree with each other, so before the above I made up the slats to ensure that the horn cutouts aligned correctly. These are quite tricky since you need to plane and sand two bits of square wood to the shape of a comma. Masking tape helped on the second one to prevent grooving the larger piece. Hindsight.

The front of the LE is W9-1 which was fine on the first half but the other one is actually marked W8.

Went over all joints with R/C Modellers` glue.

This is a really strong (and heavy) wing and I can see no need for a full span carbon tube.

Started to modify the servo mounts ready to fit but watch out because the drawing shows them one way round and the pic. of installed servos differently.

I still have a huge amount of unused bits. Next will be the wing centre sections.

It is fairly obvious that the manufacturer has not made up a production version of this otherwise these errors would have been picked up. Reminds me of my HK Lanc. which could not possibly fly as supplied but is actually quite good when modified.

Edited By Martin McIntosh on 05/09/2019 20:17:44

Martyn K07/09/2019 20:44:38
4868 forum posts
3538 photos

This is one on my wish list Martin. Following with interest

Martyn

Martin McIntosh07/09/2019 21:40:49
2907 forum posts
1064 photos

Got mine from HK EU about £85 post free.

Looks like I am the only one to have sheeted the tail and fin.

Now playing around with how to fit the OS52. It will be angled so that the silencer will clear some u/c parts and will probably have to split the cowl horizontally so that it clears the cylinder head without too much more chopping about.

Edited By Martin McIntosh on 07/09/2019 21:49:16

Martian07/09/2019 21:48:49
2215 forum posts
1085 photos

H K are out of stock try Bangood

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Addlestone Models
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us