Forum sponsored by CML

Moon Dancer 2

The buuld blog for my new design.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
i12fly16/08/2019 22:10:01
544 forum posts
21 photos

Ah Piers, but Peter has been much more successful with his designs, not nose heavy and not requiring downthrust devil

kc17/08/2019 08:34:24
5962 forum posts
168 photos

I see that the RCME with original Dragon Dancer is available from Magazine Exchange but although it's a free plan issue it was not the Dragon Dancer but a different plan.

Paul C - there is a copy of the Firedrake issue of RCME with plan for sale if that is the plan you intend to build.

meanwhile we await Peter's 10,000th posting.......

Peter must also be one of the longest serving columnists in model mags - Millers Tales, Safety etc etc for decades.

Paul C.17/08/2019 08:48:49
583 forum posts
139 photos

Thanks kc I am on the case 👍, I wonder what subject will be Peters 10,000 post will be ?

Paul.

Peter Miller17/08/2019 09:05:18
10077 forum posts
1192 photos
10 articles

I should be able to provide copies of all the plans published as full size plans. I can get them scanned ad PDF files.

The others I do not have copies of before I started getting them scanned. One of our club members does have all my old tracings going back a long way.He has more storage space than I do.

JUst for the record I looked at my lists an as far as I can say the score is:

Columns various 462

Articles 139

Product Reviews 63

Plans and drawings total 190 16 of these in the USA includes rehashed vintage models 3 views

178 original designs including published in two magazines

Grand Total of items not counting 5 books 854

Since 1974

10,000 up!!!!!"

Maybe I shopuld order a larger size in hats!!!!

Edited By Peter Miller on 17/08/2019 09:06:39

kc17/08/2019 10:21:49
5962 forum posts
168 photos

That's a most remarkable record Peter and unlikely to be equalled. I hope that writing and drawing all those articles and plans has given you as much satisfaction as it has given your readers and builders of your designs.

Peter Miller17/08/2019 10:38:36
10077 forum posts
1192 photos
10 articles

I love writing so that is a pleasure in its self. I love designing and building just because I do and have done ever since I started modelling.

The fact that magazines and publishers and readers like my work is a wonderful compliment for which I am very grateful.

Piers Bowlan17/08/2019 12:59:02
1826 forum posts
44 photos
Posted by kc on 17/08/2019 08:34:24:

I see that the RCME with original Dragon Dancer is available from Magazine Exchange but although it's a free plan issue it was not the Dragon Dancer but a different plan.

Dragon Dancer was featured with a build article in RCM&E Sep 1998, but not as a free plan, here. The plan is still available from Sarik Hobbies RM1868 here.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 17/08/2019 13:11:38

kc17/08/2019 16:50:28
5962 forum posts
168 photos

Mentioning Dragon Dancer 2 in this thread could be a 'red herring' because the original Moon Dancer had a different wing section even though the wingtips and low aspect ratio make it seem similar. Moon Dancer article stated it was NACA 0015 while the Dragon Dancer 2 was not stated but looks quite different on the plan. Of course we don't yet know what Moon Dancer 2 will have for wing section so we must wait and see.......

Peter Miller17/08/2019 18:34:59
10077 forum posts
1192 photos
10 articles

Moon Dancer 2 has got NACA 3414 section.It works just like a symetrical section, it is just flat bottomed fromthe spar back for easier building. It is my standard section these days because I am lazy!!

To be honest I don't really go back to the older plans. I just draw a new plan that follows the general lay out with new span, chord, length and everything else. so they are all "based loosely on"

Edited By Peter Miller on 17/08/2019 18:39:16

Piers Bowlan17/08/2019 21:05:45
1826 forum posts
44 photos

You keep mentioning 'because I am lazy' but nobody believes you Peter! Not when you knock out a new plan every three months, even if it is 'based loosely on', occasionally. So this year, February we were treated to Little Miss Honky Tonk, June we had Li'l Cub, next month we will have Miss Deeds and by the end of the year, Moon Dancer 2, no doubt. I think you are slowing down Peter wink 2.

Peter Miller18/08/2019 08:01:41
10077 forum posts
1192 photos
10 articles

Well this year I also built a new version my old Waco PG2 again

waco 1.jpg

A kit from the 80s picked up cheap on Ebay,The Airwave ClubStar but that went together very quickly

clubstar.jpg

And I am working on a Guillows DH4 which will be 4 channel at 27" span although that one was sending me mad

But they are just pot boilers.

kc18/08/2019 13:11:25
5962 forum posts
168 photos

Curious that Peter should show a photo of his new Waco because just the other day when people were discussing Peter's number of designs I picked up a random copy of an RC mag and it contained his Waco! Later that day I turned on the TV and it was right in the middle of a programme - a bit of film showing lots of Waco's landing at Arnhem. Programme was World at War repeated. Magazine was RC Modeler Oct 95 ( US of course) but the plan was also in RC ModelWorld and now available from Sarik. Made me wonder whether publishing the same design but with different version plans ( due to redrawing) has been counted as just 1 plan in Peter's score........maybe the total is already 200 if we counted the separate versions!

It looks as though the new Waco and Clubstar are both electric?

Peter Miller18/08/2019 13:30:21
10077 forum posts
1192 photos
10 articles

I downloaded the plan from Outerzone. I didn't fancy paying for it.Admittedly I didn't ask if I could have a copy.

No. I counted it as two plans. The download is much coarser printing.

The original Waco had Coxes but was converted to Speed 400 electric motors. THis was covered in the article in RCM which is also on Outerzone.

The same plan was sent in but the American draughtsman put in American components such as horns etc. I did clear it with the RC Model World Editor before sending it in to RCM. In those days magazines were not as easily available on both sides of the pond.

The Clubstar was converted to electric power using the same power set up as the Ohmen.

Peter Miller20/08/2019 12:25:02
10077 forum posts
1192 photos
10 articles

Right! Started cutting wood on Thursday. 15th Aug

Fuselage basic construction started, and assembled with ply doublers. Seen here with the front turtle deck pieces.

moon dancer const 001.jpg

Here is the top bay which will hold the ESC.

moon dancer const 002.jpg

The under side of the nose showing the U/C mount, my standard system that has yet to fail, also the battery mount. The hatch is underneath because there was no way that I could arrange a hatch on top and still keep the canopy style that I wanted.

moon dancer const 004.jpg

The front Turtel dexck sides glued on vertically

moon dancer const 009.jpg

and rolled over and glued down. They were harder that I wante and it took a lot of wetting and high heat on the heat gun

moon dancer const 011.jpg

This is the taliplane plat form. I like a really strong tailplane mount as it is easy for them to be knocked.

moon dancer const 010.jpg

The wing is built in one piece on a 48" board.

moon dancer const 007.jpg

I make a slot inthe centre rib and put liteply sub ribs. This makes a very secure slot for the elading edge dowel.

moon dancer const 008.jpg

The top leading edge sheet goes on. I put the webs in front on the spar because this allows me to use masses of paper clips tohold the leading edge sheet down.The front is held down wth masses of map pins.

moon dancer const 013.jpg

This is a close up of the clamps

moon dancer const 014.jpg

So far so good.

Piers Bowlan20/08/2019 18:45:26
1826 forum posts
44 photos

Astonishingly fast work Peter. At this rate it will be finished by next weekend. So no dihedral?

Peter Miller20/08/2019 19:00:29
10077 forum posts
1192 photos
10 articles

No, No dihedral. that will be no problem..Miss Deeds had none and a few others in the past didn't.

The model is basically very simple but things willslow down a bit now

I once was asked to design and build a model and get the plans in in four weeks. I test flew it in three. That was for a plan in a Traplet plans catalogue.

Peter Miller24/08/2019 11:45:18
10077 forum posts
1192 photos
10 articles

Well, quite a bit of progress but a lot of the work is not as photogenic.

The rear turtle deck has been completed and the cockpit floor installed with the flat top to the front turtle deck.

moon dancer const 18.jpg

The fairing blocks for the fin are spot glued over scrap 1/4" sheet which takes the place of the fin and tailplane.

moon dancer const 015.jpg

Once shaped it can be split apart and you have two correctly shaped parts.

moon dancer const 016.jpg

The battery hatch is made from 1/16" ply. The formers hold it in shape to match the belly of the fuselage. The catch will be screwed to the shaped hardwood block it the front. Nylon pin hinges will be screwed to the rear end.These will be held the to fuselage with the front screws holding the U/C in place.

moon dancer const 020.jpg

The servo mounting locations in the fuselage are pretty basic. Plenty of room for larger servos here.

moon dancer const 021.jpg

The aileron servo mounts are just ply plates in the wing, they are inset so that not too much of the servo protrudes below the wing.

moon dancer const 023.jpg

top of the wing showing Holes for servo leads exits Cap strips still to be added.

moon dancer const 022.jpg

Chris North 330/08/2019 10:49:52
279 forum posts
459 photos

Looking great Peter and plenty of great photos to help us along. Following with interest.

Peter Miller30/08/2019 10:51:01
10077 forum posts
1192 photos
10 articles

THanks Chris

Busy covering it at the moment.

Paul C.30/08/2019 11:19:33
583 forum posts
139 photos

Looking good Peter 👍 I always find the covering stage of the build my least favourite part, I keep changing my mind on the colour and trim need to be more strict with myself I think 😁

Paul.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Addlestone Models
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us