Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Cap1763

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
fly boy314/08/2019 21:52:54
3529 forum posts
18 photos

Hi all, due to a shattering bereavement, I was forced to take an eighteen month hiatus from all things modelling and flying. I am now trying get to grips with the above cap 1763, so much back reading to catch up on. Can anyone please give me an up date on " on line registration" and "on line testing". I know I am asking a lot but at my age it's hard to get my head round it. Thanks FB3

Martin Harris14/08/2019 23:42:35
8863 forum posts
221 photos

Sorry to hear that FB3,

The advice I was given when I contacted the BMFA recently to see if there was any guidance being issued to clubs about their responsibilities was that nothing is completely decided yet and they are advising us to wait until ongoing discussions are concluded.

In essence, all individual pilots wishing to fly >250g models will need to complete an on-line "competence" test (free) if they wish to continue flying after the end of November and operators (i.e. model owners) will need to register as such at a cost of £16.50  The testing system is not yet in place and the CAA are supposed to have it in operation by the beginning of October.

The operator will be issued a unique identifying number which must be affixed to their models and visible from a fairly close distance.

CAP1763 has introduced a 400' height limit but if you are a BMFA, SAA, LMA or FPVUK member you are currently exempt from this requirement.

Edited By Martin Harris on 14/08/2019 23:59:01

fly boy315/08/2019 10:49:20
3529 forum posts
18 photos

Thanks Martin for taking the time to help an oldie out lol. My club consists of over 90% oaps, who could find the £16 .50 plus bmfa and club fees harder to find, and not all are on line at all. We shall have to wait. At the moment we are still waiting for an answer from the small local airport regarding permission to fly due to the new proximity rules. No one has flown since March. Thanks again.

Martin Harris15/08/2019 11:02:06
8863 forum posts
221 photos

There's little reason why you should have been kept waiting so long - the airport should have responded very quickly and allowed flying unless there's a very good reason why it could be unsafe.

Contact the BMFA for assistance with resolving this...admin@bmfa.org or call 0116 244 0028

Steve J15/08/2019 11:02:50
1556 forum posts
47 photos
Posted by fly boy3 on 15/08/2019 10:49:20:

At the moment we are still waiting for an answer from the small local airport regarding permission to fly due to the new proximity rules.

If the airport is refusing to to give the club permission to fly in their FRZ then you can report their refusal to the CAA.

**LINK**

Steve

Tom Sharp 215/08/2019 23:22:41
3545 forum posts
18 photos
Posted by Martin Harris on 14/08/2019 23:42:35:

In essence, all individual pilots wishing to fly >250g models will need to complete an on-line "competence" test (free) if they wish to continue flying after the end of November and operators (i.e. model owners) will need to register as such at a cost of £16.50 The testing system is not yet in place and the CAA are supposed to have it in operation by the beginning of October.

The operator will be issued a unique identifying number which must be affixed to their models and visible from a fairly close distance.

---------------------------

What we need now, is for some clever fellow to come up with a registration number label that can be peeled off and instantly transferred from one model to another.

Could be Velcro based but would look odd on a scale model..

Edited By Tom Sharp 2 on 15/08/2019 23:24:10

Edited By Tom Sharp 2 on 15/08/2019 23:28:10

stu knowles16/08/2019 08:17:58
572 forum posts
44 photos

I've recently had a letter about renewing my Driving Licence. The DLs with a photo last 10 years and the renewal costs £14

In terms of which is the more important to the social fabric of these Sceptred Isles, a Driving Licence or some form of consent to fly toy aeroplanes, I believe that the DL triumphs and yet the Government feels content to let it run for 10 years, I don't have to retake a meaningless test on the Highway Code or Traffic Law every year and, if I were over 70 years of age, they will renew at no charge for the rest of my life.

I'm not normally one for rebellion but I do think that I can recognise when I am having my leg lifted and the proposals in relation to Model Flyers do seem to resemble a large container containing equine faeces.

I can only hope that the lack of official information so late in the day does mean that someone in Whitehall is having a quiet word in the shell like cavity of a Minister or Civil Servant to think again.

John Bisset16/08/2019 08:51:12
191 forum posts

Well said Mr Knowles - my feelings precisely !

Steve J16/08/2019 09:02:45
1556 forum posts
47 photos

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 15/08/2019 23:22:41:

What we need now, is for some clever fellow to come up with a registration number label that can be peeled off and instantly transferred from one model to another.

Why? What is wrong with either using a Sharpie or getting some vinyl labels made?

Steve

Martin Harris16/08/2019 09:50:12
8863 forum posts
221 photos

Nothing - unless you're a scale modeller.

Nigel R16/08/2019 12:05:16
3099 forum posts
479 photos

How close is close? I mean, is it close enough that you can see inside the retract well, or inside the cowl, or inside an air scoop...?

Tom Sharp 216/08/2019 13:12:22
3545 forum posts
18 photos
Posted by Martin Harris on 16/08/2019 09:50:12:

Nothing - unless you're a scale modeller.

thumbs up

john stones 116/08/2019 15:58:19
10695 forum posts
1480 photos

Yep I recently had to renew my driving license, car goes for yearly MOT, there's billions spent on road marking, signs, policing, advertising, my insurance is way more than my toy plane insurance, and I've never made a claim in my life, road tax is £200 + a year, there are cameras, speed bumps and speed limits all over the place these days, and everyone on the roads is a terrible driver apart from me. wink

Always been the rebellious sort myself, but a simple online test n £16.50 a year (less than half the price of your BMFA) and how many throw that one into discussions ? Keep the noise down when you riot lads, and don't forget to wrap up warm. smiley

Brian Spearing16/08/2019 18:11:29
49 forum posts

The online testing etc comes at a bad time of year for many clubs, being close to the annual renewal date. When we moved to a new patch a good proportion of members didn't renew - they were probably occasional flyers getting on in years but still valuable contributors to the club's finances.

I can see something similar happening this winter, though I hope I'm wrong.

Brian

PS - Maybe July1st would be a better renewal date for club subs - but that's another matter.

ken anderson.17/08/2019 09:42:48
8450 forum posts
773 photos

hello FB3,sorry to hear about your bad news.i decided a few weeks/months ago to take a back seat regarding this caper,changing the rules and regs,registration,ANO and all the rest because at the min its as clear as mud.

different peoples opinions on the matter confuse the issue even more...so i'm waiting until everthing is set in stone,and hoping that the BMFA and others who i'm a paid up member represent my interests as best they can.

I've written to my MP(waste of time) in my opinion and filled in on-line questionnaires etc.... now I wait and see what is going to be imposed upon us......my advice to you also...messy state of affairs to say the least.

ken anderson...ne..1....state of affairs dept.

Bobby17/08/2019 12:03:25
85 forum posts
149 photos

Sorry for your bad event FB3, like Ken complying with the E/O Nov 2019 request is not a problem for me as I do cold but not old/cold, come the E/O Sept/mid Oct I hang up my hat for the season. So unless there is a law to register as an owner say like a SORN, in this case it would be an SNFN I will also wait for the outcome and move one way or another come the E/O Mar 2020 Bobby (Bob2)

Edited By Bobby on 17/08/2019 12:18:39

Bob Cotsford17/08/2019 12:13:43
8023 forum posts
444 photos
Posted by john stones 1 on 16/08/2019 15:58:19:

Yep I recently had to renew my driving license, car goes for yearly MOT, there's billions spent on road marking, signs, policing, advertising, my insurance is way more than my toy plane insurance, and I've never made a claim in my life, road tax is £200 + a year, there are cameras, speed bumps and speed limits all over the place these days, and everyone on the roads is a terrible driver apart from me. wink

Always been the rebellious sort myself, but a simple online test n £16.50 a year (less than half the price of your BMFA) and how many throw that one into discussions ? Keep the noise down when you riot lads, and don't forget to wrap up warm. smiley

we really do need a 'like' button! Also, all of the above costing is relevant for each vehicle owned, that single £16.50 operators registration allows you to have as many aerial toys as you like, or even as many as your family/friends etc like as long as you take responsibility for their safe use.

Steve J17/08/2019 13:06:13
1556 forum posts
47 photos
Posted by Brian Spearing on 16/08/2019 18:11:29:

When we moved to a new patch a good proportion of members didn't renew - they were probably occasional flyers getting on in years but still valuable contributors to the club's finances.

I can see something similar happening this winter, though I hope I'm wrong.

That is the BMFA's major worry with this registration and testing business. The BMFA have reported that the free system in France led to a 10% drop in participation. If registration were to lead to the BMFA membership dropping below 30k, they might have to make some difficult decisions.

Steve

Edited By Steve J on 17/08/2019 13:18:22

Jeremy Wilkins17/08/2019 13:39:55
46 forum posts
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 17/08/2019 12:13:43:
Posted by john stones 1 on 16/08/2019 15:58:19:

Always been the rebellious sort myself, but a simple online test n £16.50 a year (less than half the price of your BMFA) and how many throw that one into discussions ?

we really do need a 'like' button! Also, all of the above costing is relevant for each vehicle owned, that single £16.50 operators registration allows you to have as many aerial toys as you like, or even as many as your family/friends etc like as long as you take responsibility for their safe use.

Hi all.

Don't forget that fly boy3 [who started this thread] said that his club 'consists of over 90% oaps, who could find the £16.50 plus bmfa and club fees harder to find'.

Also, the charge [not yet set at £16.50, as the results of the CAA consultation have still not been published] is based on 170,000 assumed registrations, over the initial 18 month period {CAP 1775, paragraph1.6, page 2 of 16}.

The BMFA, SAA, LMA and FPVUK only claim 40,000 members between them {as per their written submission to the House of Commons Science and Technology Select Committee inquiry on 'drones' [word used advisedly]}.

The CAA scheme has to be self-financing and {as per the previously mentioned paragraph of CAP1775} they 'will review the drone registration charge after its introduction and implement any changes from April 2021'. Chapter 3 of CAP 1775 also refers, in terms of what the CAA will do, 'if the volumes of users are signifcantly (sic) different from those assumed'.

My objections are, for the record, also concerned with the wider issues surrounding the 'drones registration and education scheme', and not just with the charging proposal/level of charge per se.

Cheers,

Jeremy Wilkins

Martin Harris17/08/2019 13:52:51
8863 forum posts
221 photos

We can only hope that Paul Maynard is more open to listening to the argument that the beneficiaries of the scheme (who should bear the costs of it) are the commercial interests passing through, or wishing to exploit the lower airspace.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us