Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Unimat lathe?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
SIMON CRAGG21/08/2019 13:59:15
432 forum posts
14 photos

I have just been given a Unimat SL Lathe, which I know nothing about and have no use for. Bit tatty and well used but comes with lots of accessories. Does anybody know if these are worth anything to anybody?. I would hate to dump it, when it might be valuable!.

Foxfan21/08/2019 14:13:05
824 forum posts
6 photos

These are not a bad little lathe for occasional use, Simon. Is it the SL 90 with round bar bed? Does it have the vertical column that mounts at the back?

If you simply want rid of it because it's tatty, I would be interested as sometimes I need a second small lathe rather than disturb the set-up in my main lathe (which only slightly bigger than a Unimat). Please PM me if you want to discuss.

Martin

John Lee21/08/2019 15:21:12
653 forum posts
48 photos

To get an indication of worth of virtually anything if you go on Ebay & search for the item & then select the 'Sold Listings' option on the left hand menu you can see what they have fetched recently.

In the case of Unimat SL there have been several sold in the last month for between £250 & £550.

Don Fry21/08/2019 16:10:16
3917 forum posts
42 photos

And the tooling and accessories can easily be worth the same as the lathe. You might be better off posing this question, and photos of the tooling and bits on the Model Engineer site. As ever condition is all, but tatty is not necessarily the same as worn.

Foxfan21/08/2019 17:06:33
824 forum posts
6 photos

Absolutely, the Unimat is quite heavily painted, so can easily look tatty, without actually having been badly treated or worn. BUT, the round belts are fragile, the motors for essentially intermittent use and the chucks limited in capacity. The Peatol (Taig) lathe is much better made, more durable and accurate and yet sells for much less. My son bought one off ebay on a very well made stand with a 1/4 horse motor, all the tooling AND the book on how to use it with projects suggested, for £200.

My Peatol has been with me for over 30 years and has allowed me to make everything up to a 1/6th scale Vincent Black Shadow master pattern entirely in brass. I wouldn't be without it. However, the vertical column of the Unimat SL 90 does make it into a very useful fine feed small drill and even a VERY light mill, assuming yours comes with it. I would say keep it and learn to make the most of it.

Martin

Alan Hilton21/08/2019 19:09:51
96 forum posts

Looking on eBay there are loads of unmat accessories and tooling for sale . Having a lathe is very useful so my 2p ’s worth is keep it and learn some skills .I have a myford and wouldn’t be without it

Alan

SIMON CRAGG22/08/2019 21:28:43
432 forum posts
14 photos

Lots of interest on e.bay, up to £240 at present.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us