Forum sponsored by CML

A Firefox bridge too far

email problem since updating Firefox

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
kenking-King Design21/08/2019 20:42:45
252 forum posts
747 photos

kc suggested I tap into the brainpower to be found among our readers in order to solve a serious and infuriating problem of my own making (sound of gnashing teeth).

I have an old iMac, 2007, O.S. version 10.8.5 (or .6) which serves me very well, using Firefox as my browser, and I've a lot of info stored on it as well as several ongoing projects and discussions. Now, though, I find I cannot actively engage with my TalkTalk services because when the TT screen opens, a transparent grey veil covers it all and will not allow me to access any features or log in through it. The news items are displayed, and continue to scroll from right to left, so it's not hung up. I can still visit every other website as before, it's only TT that is affected.

I'm sure the problem started when, in an idle moment, and for no good reason really, I clicked on a displayed offer to upgrade to the latest version of Firefox, which I now find does not support my old O.S..

I should add that I spent over two hours on my mobile today, talking to TT help whilst staring at the screen and following various instructions, ending up using Safari, which only gives me some email features (not 'Reply' or address book for example) and is very slow too.

My question is this :- is there any way for me, computer illiterate as I am, to backtrack to the older FF version to restore my previous happy state ?

Please ?

Ken

Guvnor21/08/2019 20:49:26
118 forum posts

Old versions here:

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/

Click a version number, then Mac/, then en-GB.

You'll see the download there...

Piers Bowlan21/08/2019 21:08:59
1893 forum posts
49 photos

Hi Ken, why do you use Firefox as a browser in preference to Safari. I have used Firefox, Opera and Safari in the past. I prefer Safari.

Sorry to hear about your problem, perhaps it could be time to get a newer Mac?

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 21/08/2019 21:12:44

kenking-King Design21/08/2019 21:46:27
252 forum posts
747 photos

Hello Guvnor, I leapt at your suggested route, but unfortunately it's not working for me. Firstly I got '404 not found' and a message exhorting me to include "/" at the end of my URL.

I don't know what release I had been on, sorry, so took a guess at a significantly lower number, and have tried every combination with and without / in all the places after 'releases', to no avail. I expect it's me but ....any idea where I may be going wrong ?

Piers, I guess you are right, but I really didn't want to have significant spend right now. As to why Firefox ? well, I was using Safari some years ago, but encountered various problems and switched.

kc23/08/2019 14:43:43
6058 forum posts
169 photos

It seems to me that Guvnor gave the right info and it comes up with a list of previous versions and I eventually found this page ( for example )....... but I cannot help more because to me a Mac is just something people wear when it rains!

Ken if you post items during the morning or early evening they seem to get more replies, which may prove more effective.

Denis Watkins23/08/2019 16:44:52
3914 forum posts
61 photos

Lets give this a whirl Ken,

In your "System Folder" seek out "System Tools", and in there to should find

" Disk Clean"

Double Click and set that off, saying Yes to prompts

Let this tool clean up

Edited By Denis Watkins on 23/08/2019 16:45:22

Guvnor23/08/2019 17:23:46
118 forum posts
Posted by Denis Watkins on 23/08/2019 16:44:52:

Lets give this a whirl Ken,

In your "System Folder" seek out "System Tools", and in there to should find

" Disk Clean"

Double Click and set that off, saying Yes to prompts

Let this tool clean up

Edited By Denis Watkins on 23/08/2019 16:45:22

The original poster is on a Mac, NOT a PC. There's no such thing as 'Disc Clean' on a Mac.

In any case, I can't see what how cleaning up the directories would make any difference to the way Firefox behaves...

Edited By Guvnor on 23/08/2019 17:24:12

Edited By Guvnor on 23/08/2019 17:24:40

kenking-King Design24/08/2019 22:15:49
252 forum posts
747 photos

Under 'Utilities' comes 'Disc Utility' and in there I have triggered 'Repair Disc Permissions', something I was advised to do occasionally. It hasn't made any difference. Someone said recently that the grey veil manifests itself on some sites until one agrees to Cookies, but I can't see anything asking about cookies on the TalkTalk site, and it is just that site that is affected.

Maybe it isn't Firefox at fault at all,but wretched TalkTalk. They are now notorious for having problems, but being slow to confess.

In the meantime Safari gives me just some parts of an email service and is horrendously slow and clunky to boot.

Oh Dear!

Phil 924/08/2019 22:19:49
4284 forum posts
237 photos

and here was me hoping to see a build thread of a model based on the 1982 clint eastwood film

Edited By Phil 9 on 24/08/2019 22:22:45

Dickw25/08/2019 12:13:12
483 forum posts
76 photos
Posted by kenking-King Design on 24/08/2019 22:15:49:

................... Someone said recently that the grey veil manifests itself on some sites until one agrees to Cookies, but I can't see anything asking about cookies on the TalkTalk site, and it is just that site that is affected.

Maybe it isn't Firefox at fault at all,but wretched TalkTalk. They are now notorious for having problems, but being slow to confess.

Out of curiosity I just tried the TalkTalk site on a laptop with Windows10 and Firefox.

As soon as I went to the "News" page the grey veil came down and I was presented with a box asking me about accepting cookies. I chose the No option and the grey veil went away leaving me with a normal working site.

Looks like a Talk Talk issue rather than Firefox or windows.

Dick

kenking-King Design25/08/2019 17:41:17
252 forum posts
747 photos

Ah, thanks for that Dick. That's very useful confirmation of my growing suspicion about TalkTalk. My problem is that, unlike you, I do not get presented with a similar box asking about cookies. I believe if I was the issue would be cleared, as it was for you. It's interesting that you didn't have to accept cookies to get the result.

I don't relish another mammoth seesion with TalkTalk help staff, but it may be unavoidable. Thanks again,

Ken

Robin Kearney25/08/2019 21:06:58
1075 forum posts
183 photos

This sounds like you’ve been a victim of the new Firefox Enhanced Tracking protection. I think Firefox is thinking the cookie consent screen (the grey veil) is some sort of tracking unpleasantness and is blocking the ok/no buttons from loading.

Generally the new tracking protection is a good thing, but I’ve seen this happen on more than a few cookie consent screens.

Id look into how you can disable the protection, temporarily or perhaps whitelisting the Talk Talk site so Firefox doesn’t block it.

Robin Kearney25/08/2019 21:14:03
1075 forum posts
183 photos

This page has some hints on how to allow a site to bypass the protection **LINK**

another thought is is are you using Adblock or UBlock or similar thing? Maybe whitelist Talk Talk in that tool if so.

J D 825/08/2019 22:28:29
1312 forum posts
78 photos

You were not on your own Phil , I thought the same.smiley

kenking-King Design27/08/2019 00:31:13
252 forum posts
747 photos

What a bind ! Following Robin's advice to try to bypass protection, I followed the given link and there attempted to set up an account to allow me to do so. Mozilla sent me a 'confirm account' email, which of course I had to read in Safari, only to find that pressing the 'confirm' button brought up the message' Safari caould not open the page .....'

crook Is it any wonder I'm slowly going mad ?

I don't think I've ever employed Adblock or Ublock. In the meantime I'm stuck with Safari which will not show 'sent items' nor allow me to attach photos, or do all the other things with emails that I've found so useful in the recent past.

Currently wondering what else I can do, but hope springs eternal etc

I just want to add that I do appreciate you exercising your grey cells on my behalf,

Thanks,

Ken

Piers Bowlan27/08/2019 04:39:28
1893 forum posts
49 photos

I don't think I've ever employed Adblock or Ublock. In the meantime I'm stuck with Safari which will not show 'sent items' nor allow me to attach photos, or do all the other things with emails that I've found so useful in the recent past.

I would suggest that a third party piece of software like Adblock would be quite unnecessary on a mac and likely to cause more problems than it solves. I find it pretty weird that you say that Safari will not show sent items or allow you to attach photos etc. to emails. That would appear to be more a problem with your Talk Talk email account not working properly with Safari on your computer. I very much doubt that you will get any practical help with this problem from Talk Talk 'Technical support'.

If there is an Apple Shop not a million miles from where you live Ken I would book an appointment with the 'Genius Bar'. At least they will be able to see the issue with your Talk Talk email account whilst using Safari which might clear up the problem whilst using Firefox too. Failing that, you need technical support with someone up to speed on macs. I am pretty certain you won't get that from Talk Talk even though the problem is likely to be their ISP,- in my view.

kenking-King Design05/09/2019 09:25:07
252 forum posts
747 photos

My email problems have been fully resolved by a very patient Apple Expert named Ian. In a 2 hour session during which he monitored my screen whilst I used 2 mobiles to a) talk to him and b) to access the internat, and despite having to cope with my severe deafness, he managed to get me an Operating System upgrade which notionally was not available to me. following that, another couple of hours downloading and installing, plus upgrading Firefox, gave me a fully operational system. The sense of relief surprised me by its intensity. I hadn't realised how depressed the struggles had made me. laugh

Thanks to all who contributed,

Ken

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us