By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

New Poll - sticky situations.....

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Always  
40%

Occasion  
27%

Sometimes  
18%

Rarely  
10%

Never  
1%

Gloves  
4%

(260 votes)

i12fly09/09/2019 16:46:24
642 forum posts
22 photos

My bad experience was due to a poorly fitting capillary tube into the top of a large bottle of CA. I made the balsa joint OK but after, when I turned the bottle the right way up, escaped CA ran down the side of the bottle and glued 2 fingers and thumb to the bottle. Quite difficult to remove as I couldn't turn my hand over or the bottle would have emptied, I hadn't got any de-bonder or acetone either.....

I kept me quiet with a sharp knife for about an hour

Foxfan09/09/2019 17:11:27
931 forum posts
7 photos

Could you not just twist your fingers a little? CA has no strength in torsion, whatever, just tension and then it's good enough to repair a Hoover belt! My Unimat lathe drive belt was repaired in 3 places as I was too tight to buy a new one and it ran perfectly!

Martin

i12fly09/09/2019 22:29:23
642 forum posts
22 photos

Hmm.... Didn't realise torsion would help release. It would have helped release the thumb but the 2 fingers were stuck together as well as to the bottle so difficult to move. Did manage to get free without any blood spilt but I had a few sore patches.....

Fortunately it was my right hand and I'm left handed, otherwise it would have been more difficult wielding the knife.

I'm more careful now if I need to use CA, preferring Aliphatic where possible

Martin Harris09/09/2019 22:50:17
9501 forum posts
256 photos

Too late now but warm soapy water will soften the bond within a few minutes. A bit awkward keeping it away from the bottle in this case but it's a bit less dramatic than hacking your fingers apart with a scalpel...

i12fly09/09/2019 23:16:57
642 forum posts
22 photos

It's quite surprising how thick skin is on your finger tips if you've got very dry skin like me!

It was all a few years ago and I now have a bottle of de-bonder, I've never had to use it (yet) and to be frank I'm not sure where it is and if I could find it now dont know

Chris Armstrong11/09/2019 20:55:46
27 forum posts
30 photos

I'm getting better at this. I think I'm a bit more patient these days.

Andrew Jones 1227/03/2020 18:17:08
1 forum posts
Posted by Foxfan on 26/08/2019 14:33:05:

Our water heater system is rarely that hot, Chris and actually, since I do the washing up mainly, I find that water is ideal and by the time I've done the washing up with a scourer pad the glue has gone.

Martin

agree with you

john davidson 127/03/2020 19:37:40
67 forum posts

My worst experience was unknowingly getting ca on the heel of my left hand and then using kicker . The ca started boiling and there was nothing I could do about it, Very hot for a few seconds until the glue set but no pemanent burn

robert chamberlain14/08/2020 01:15:51
160 forum posts

I have gotten into the habit of using those thin exam gloves. They do tear easily and the glue sticks easily so it is a one shot deal. But then I don't use epoxy all that often. Same problem with CA. Bob C

Andy Stephenson14/08/2020 11:18:40
221 forum posts
36 photos

I want to know why using acetone to loosen and remove CA is such a bad idea as was mentioned in an earlier post. After all it is the principal ingredient in nail polish remover and according to the MSDS I read it has no known health hazards.

Andy.

Graham Davies 314/08/2020 11:44:40
99 forum posts
45 photos

I remember years ago discovering that there was small amount of uncured CA on my fingers. How? I had taken a 'comfort break' from the building board... I felt the moment of 'tack' and fortunately managed to free myself. Otherwise it would have been a very embarrassing trip to A&E looking like a life-sized adult-themed Toby Jug...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!