By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

New Poll - sticky situations.....

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

i12fly09/09/2019 16:46:24
577 forum posts
21 photos

My bad experience was due to a poorly fitting capillary tube into the top of a large bottle of CA. I made the balsa joint OK but after, when I turned the bottle the right way up, escaped CA ran down the side of the bottle and glued 2 fingers and thumb to the bottle. Quite difficult to remove as I couldn't turn my hand over or the bottle would have emptied, I hadn't got any de-bonder or acetone either.....

I kept me quiet with a sharp knife for about an hour

Foxfan09/09/2019 17:11:27
848 forum posts
6 photos

Could you not just twist your fingers a little? CA has no strength in torsion, whatever, just tension and then it's good enough to repair a Hoover belt! My Unimat lathe drive belt was repaired in 3 places as I was too tight to buy a new one and it ran perfectly!

Martin

i12fly09/09/2019 22:29:23
577 forum posts
21 photos

Hmm.... Didn't realise torsion would help release. It would have helped release the thumb but the 2 fingers were stuck together as well as to the bottle so difficult to move. Did manage to get free without any blood spilt but I had a few sore patches.....

Fortunately it was my right hand and I'm left handed, otherwise it would have been more difficult wielding the knife.

I'm more careful now if I need to use CA, preferring Aliphatic where possible

Martin Harris09/09/2019 22:50:17
8952 forum posts
221 photos

Too late now but warm soapy water will soften the bond within a few minutes. A bit awkward keeping it away from the bottle in this case but it's a bit less dramatic than hacking your fingers apart with a scalpel...

i12fly09/09/2019 23:16:57
577 forum posts
21 photos

It's quite surprising how thick skin is on your finger tips if you've got very dry skin like me!

It was all a few years ago and I now have a bottle of de-bonder, I've never had to use it (yet) and to be frank I'm not sure where it is and if I could find it now dont know

Chris Armstrong11/09/2019 20:55:46
24 forum posts
21 photos

I'm getting better at this. I think I'm a bit more patient these days.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us