Forum sponsored by CML

Stearman wing plans

Looking for help with rebuilding wings.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Phil B01/09/2019 17:49:29
160 forum posts
156 photos

I ha e a Great Planes 90 - 120 Boeing Stearman in need of new upper and lower wings. Can anyone help point me in the direction of a plan? Preferably 72 inch span but I can scale from any size.

Martin Harris01/09/2019 22:00:33
8876 forum posts
221 photos

If you're just looking for a Stearman plan, the Sterling version is pretty accurate although the cabane fixings will likely be different. It's on Outerzone as a free download.

Tom Sharp 201/09/2019 23:39:04
3552 forum posts
18 photos

Phil, dare I ask what happened to your Stearman, or is it too painfull.

Phil B02/09/2019 01:30:34
160 forum posts
156 photos

Thank you for the replies.

The demise of said Great Planes Pt17 Stearman was not painful for me, as I bought the remains after a crash occurred when another modeller's Stearman flew into trees. This was as a result of a 3 axis gyro rx detaching from its location, causing the model to get disorientated. Sadly I did not get the written off wings, one of which remained in the tree when the fuse fell out. I can easily repair and recover the fuse and tail, but have to do the wings from scratch. I like a challenge and have always liked the PT17 type. I also have a spare Laser 150 to re home.

I have found the Outer zone plans and downloaded them.

Can anyone advise how to print the pdf file such that it prints actual size on multiple A4 sheets? Mine wants to reduce the 3 large pages to 3 very small A4 sheets.

Denis Watkins02/09/2019 07:59:23
3913 forum posts
61 photos

2 things Phil

" Tileing " is an option on your printer, so in options you will find the choice to tile when you go to print

And

3 axis gyro

After the whole installation is complete, glued, screwed and adjusted

Drill holes it you have to, but put a tiewrap around the unit

alex nicol02/09/2019 08:24:24
300 forum posts
15 photos

Hi Phil,

On some printers there is also a poster option. I've printed a couple of plans out this way and found you can have a slight matching discrepancy when assembling the pages. Some of this is down to the printer registration tolerance 1-1.5mm is not uncommon. To keep this effect to a minimum make sure the paper is well fanned out and airiated before it's loaded into the printer and also ensure the paper feeder side guides are as tight as you can get them without restricting paper feed.

cheers

Alex

Peter Miller02/09/2019 08:35:18
10257 forum posts
1226 photos
10 articles

Or you can take yvour PDF files to the local printshop or decent opffice supply shop an they can print them off full size.

I live near a small market town and there arce two such office supply shops who now know me well!!

Tom Sharp 202/09/2019 18:41:39
3552 forum posts
18 photos

A gyro of any form is the last thing you need on a Great Planes Super Stearman, they are a pussy cat to fly.

Phil B02/09/2019 19:19:23
160 forum posts
156 photos

Thanks all. I found a local print shop and they are printing the Sterling plans forme with 12 % enlargment to give, I hope, the needed 72 inch span. I won't be putting a gyro in this one.

Geoff Sleath02/09/2019 23:25:30
3431 forum posts
297 photos

I fitted a gyro to the rudder on my GP Super Stearman because it was squirming all over the place on take off. I hadn't had a problem with it before and that cured it. Then I remembered I'd had the same problem with a Precedent Funfly. No-one at the club (even the aces) could get it to track properly. I replaced the wheels which were a sort of foam and the problem disappeared. I did the same with the Stearman and replaced the well worn wheels and all was well. I should mention both clubs I've flown at had hard runways.

I crashed my Stearman on the second flight because of an engine cut at a very awkward height by tip stalling. The fuselage wasn't too bad but the wings on one side were badly damaged. I'd had an engine cut on the maiden, too, but at height so I was able to save the airframe. The engine is a 30cc Mackay petrol and the eventually I pinned down the problem to a faulty ignition unit which I replaced with a HK one and not had a problem since.

I picked up an old one and used those wings after repair on my fuselage. So I have a spare fuselage and perhaps the damaged wings (I may have thrown them away in a garage clear-out). I bought the wood to scratch build new wings but never got round to it. I'm afraid it's a bit of a hangar queen because it's such a pain to assemble at the field, it's still on Mux 35Mhz, and I'm so used to taking a few LiPos to the field rather than a can of petrol etc.

img_0524.jpg

Still a lovely model, though.

Geoff

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us