Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Horus X10 transmitter voltage low warning level

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Geoff Sleath08/09/2019 21:11:43
3493 forum posts
319 photos

I was having an enjoyable flight with my DB Gypsy Moth this afternoon when I was forced to abort when the bossy young lady who lives in my Horus told me in no uncertain terms that the transmitter battery was low.

Of course I landed immediately and I never lost contact but I checked the level of the warning and it's currently (or perhaps voltagely) set to 7.1 volts. I'm not sure if that's what I set when I first got the transmitter or if it's the default.

What level do others have? When I checked the voltage reading on the transmitter itself it still had 2 bars (out of 4 IIRC).

Geoff

John Privett08/09/2019 21:57:00
5988 forum posts
239 photos

Geoff - mine's set to 6.5v.

I honestly don't recall if I changed it or if that is the default. It's never given me an alert whilst flying and I charge the tx 'every now and again' - usually when it gets down to about 2 bars. It's showing 6.8v and 2 bars right now after a couple of lengthy slope sessions and a few power-model sessions since last charged. I'll pop it on charge now!

Geoff Sleath08/09/2019 22:44:47
3493 forum posts
319 photos

I've just recharged it and it seemed quite quick - just about 2.5 hours. Never had the warning before but I'm only too aware that Lithium batteries (these are Lithium Ion 2S 2600 mAH so nominally 7.2v) can fall off a cliff at a certain point and I'd rather that not happen with a model in the air.

I think I'll stick to 7.1 for now.

Geoff

Tim Ballinger09/09/2019 08:41:50
579 forum posts
232 photos

Mine is set at 6.5V , as the default setting when I received it. Never had it alarm and not sure I have ever let it go below 2 bars. Seems to last for ages but I don’t actually keep a log.

tim

Masher09/09/2019 09:13:09
1104 forum posts
79 photos

Mine is set at 7.1V. Below is a plot from an actual X10S (not mine although mine is very similar) it clearly shows the difficulty in setting realistic alarm levels for this type of battery. I rarely fly for more than a few hours and charge every time anyway (force of habit) so no issue for me. IMHO 6.5V is living on the edge!

x10 volts.jpg

Edited By Masher on 09/09/2019 09:14:26

Denis Watkins09/09/2019 09:18:48
3934 forum posts
63 photos

yes

You make this point very clearly Masher

Geoff Sleath09/09/2019 11:19:57
3493 forum posts
319 photos

Thanks for that curve, Masher. It illustrates my 'falling off a cliff' analogy very well. It looks like my 7.1v is ultra safe and I may knock it back to 7.

I checked the state of charge on Saturday evening. It looked full and I mistakenly thought I'd recharged since I'd last flown. At least all it did was force me to abort the current flight and come home an hour earlier than I would have.

There's an option to calibrate the voltage measurement (I'm using Open TX) but I couldn't immediately see how it worked or how to do it and it was too late last night. It was reading a tad over 8v (8.18 IIRC) but it could be varied with the RH display control. Seemed odd but I'll look into it further today. I'd like to display the actual number rather than the hard to see bars but I'm not sure if that's an option.

Geoff

Tim Ballinger09/09/2019 11:44:22
579 forum posts
232 photos

I have a switch set which gives a speech readout of tx (pos 1) and Rx volts (pos 2) from the Telemetry data. It is also in the parameters displayed if I cared to page through or set it at a higher priority so that it comes on the main screen.

In reality I rarely check while flying and rely on the voice alarms. Only ones that ever go off are for the lipo if I use full power after my timer has gone off ! All are set very conservatively so as to give me time to circuit and land.

i got concerned the other week when the ESC temp alarm went off but when I checked on the ground I had the value set to 45 Reg which in reallity is not very high so I reset it too 65 Deg which I think is ok but if anyone knows better then please shout.

tim

Masher09/09/2019 11:50:05
1104 forum posts
79 photos

Yes you can display actual Tx volts - takes some finding but the option is there:

volts.jpg

Torsten Spitzner09/09/2019 16:14:33
28 forum posts
17 photos

Mine is set at 7.2v , as i bought it. ( NIB) . I'd rather have it set too high than fall off the voltage cliff..

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us