By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Purbeck Sailplanes Graffiti fuselage construction?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Neil James15/09/2019 10:15:25
30 forum posts
17 photos

Finally got my ancient Graffiti fettled and back in the air after 25 years, starting with some aero tow launches at our local airfield. Followed that up the next day with a visit to the slopes and enjoyed a lengthy flight in strong winds.

Unfortunately the turbulence made landing tricky and it caught a wingtip resulting in a crack in the fuselage at the base of the fin. It’s repairable but I bought this model 30 years ago and now I’m not sure of the type of glassfibre used in the fuselage. I think it’s polyester resin rather than epoxy but would like to be sure before mixing stuff up.

Last thing - it’s a cracking model but showing it’s age: what’s the best modern equivalent to replace it?

On the trolley ready for a tow.

Graffiti on tow trolley

MattyB15/09/2019 20:05:58
1938 forum posts
30 photos

I am about 90% certain they were polyester, but you can normally tell by the smell when you sand it (yes really) - take a look at the guidance in this thread...

Callsign Tarnish15/09/2019 21:34:21
79 forum posts
1 photos

Definitely polyester, every one I saw including mine cracked in the same place. They weren't 30 years old though....

Neil James16/09/2019 08:49:26
30 forum posts
17 photos

Thanks guys, at that age I was pretty sure it was polyester. It flies really nicely so I’d like to keep it going, at least until I can pick out a good alternative. I’m thinking about a Schwing Corsa.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us