Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

My 2nd Lidl Glider Power conversion - Going Lightweight sub 250 gms

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bonzo Moon18/09/2019 12:16:20
29 forum posts
1 photos

You may or may not have seen the Lidl glider (£8) power conversions. Great model to play with and CHEAP. Here's my 2nd conversion. This time lightweight. The Lidl glider is hard to find, so this is actually a Wish clone of the Lidl glider, but exactly the same design and size. And only £7 plus £5 delivery. Mine arrived a bit bent but was easy to straighten using boiling water. (I just ordered another to make an experimental weird version. I'm thinking 2 motors?) Foam a bit lighter than Lidl version but OK. My 1st came out at 350 gms with a big motor and 3s 1300 lipo, this has come out at 250 gms so in the UK, falls outside new CAA registration rules. Needed a tiny bit of lead at the tail to balance CoG. Details are all in my video. Haven't maiden yet, was hoping to today, but wind has picked up.

A link to the Wish glider is in comments on the video.

Jeffrey Cottrell 218/09/2019 17:17:32
12 forum posts

Hi Bonzo

What span is the Lidl/Wish glider? Reason I ask is that, many moons ago I bought one of these off e-bay, with the idea of doing what you have done.

Now I find HK are doing them (when they have stock) for a silly price. Could I use one of them?

Jeff

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/epp-foam-ready-to-fly-480mm-free-flight-chuck-glider-purple.html?wrh_pdp=1

Bonzo Moon19/09/2019 23:58:28
29 forum posts
1 photos

Lidl Glider is 83 cms and the Wish clone is identical though not the same foam. OK though. Mine was quite bent when it arrived! There are quite a few around that look similar but are only around 60 cms.   The HK one is even smaller!

A couple of people asked 'why no maiden on the video' I posted. . (It was too windy.) It was even windier today but as the next few days forecasts are even worse, I went for it. Phew. It flew but it was a pretty hairy flight! Next time I'll wait for a less windy day.

Edited By Bonzo Moon on 20/09/2019 00:11:47

Jeffrey Cottrell 220/09/2019 10:06:02
12 forum posts

Hi Bonzo, thanks.

looks like the Wish glider is pretty much twice the size of my e-bay one. That's either a challenge or mine goes back on the shelf.

jury still out on that one.

Cheers

Jeff

Bonzo Moon20/09/2019 12:08:42
29 forum posts
1 photos

Yes, I think you'd be hard pressed to convert that. It'd be a challenge!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us