By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

LiFe battery

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Zflyer19/09/2019 19:47:33
23 forum posts

Is it possible to charge a completely discharged LiFe battery. Brand new and left it hooked up to rx. No sign of life now

Jonathan W19/09/2019 19:57:08
101 forum posts
11 photos

It might come back. Try charging it a low rate as NiMh battery and monitor the voltage. When it gets back up to around 6v, then you should switch the charger back to an "intelligent" 2S LiFe setting. Once it's taken a full charge, do a discharge/charge cycle and see what capacity it has.

That's my suggestion anyway.

Phil Olson - Model Technics20/09/2019 10:44:32
31 forum posts

Can't do any harm to try the above - it should only take a couple of minutes on NiMh charge before you can put it on LiFe setting safely.

SIMON CRAGG20/09/2019 11:37:14
431 forum posts
14 photos

Agree with the above. I managed to rejuvenate a Life pack by charging at the lowest NIMH setting for about ten minutes. Then charged it as normal.

Bill Reed20/09/2019 12:28:22
80 forum posts
2 photos

Sorry to jump in , So can any good lipo charger charge LiFe/A123 etc?

how do these chargers know the chemistry when the voltages may be really varied from use?

Elecs etc is never easy for me

Martin Harris20/09/2019 12:38:04
8793 forum posts
215 photos

Most modern chargers have LiFe charging settings but you cannot charge LiFe cells without using the correct program. The reference in the thread to using a NiXX setting is a "bodge" method to get the completely flat battery up to a point where the inbuilt protection in the LiFe program will allow the battery to be charged.

It's something to be done carefully and only in these unusual circumstances. Unless you're sure what you're doing, it's best to stick to using the charger for its intended purposes!

leccyflyer20/09/2019 20:47:06
1249 forum posts
302 photos

Yep, I also once left a transmitter switched on to find a completely dead LiFe pack -had to wake it up with a short spell on a NiMh manual charge setting, then switched to the LiFe balance charge setting and ran for a couple of cycles to check everything was okay before use.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us