By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

DB Corben Baby Ace for electric power

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dave W21/09/2019 14:11:14
26 forum posts

Has anyone built the DB Sport and Scale Corben Baby Ace for electric power?

If so, where did you put the battery and how did you get access to it?

I plan to use a 3S 3350 LIPO and have tried all sorts of possibilities but I find snags with all of them so any help will be gratefully received.

Thanks, Dave

kc22/09/2019 17:34:33
6032 forum posts
168 photos

Well nobody has replied yet....... ........ One idea you might consider is one that has been used by many people on different models ( Wot4, SLEC FUN FLY etc) is to use a removeable ply plate with a tongue that slots into motor bulkhead and a bolt at the other end to secure into a captive nut.  Battery is held to this removeable ply carrier plate with velcro straps. Ply plate goes in at an angle from underneath, so the access hatch is underneath. It might mean connecting up when model is inverted - maybe needing a simple stand - but it saves hacking the cowl around.  This method is shown on Chriss Foss'  website and maybe he originated the method.

Edited By kc on 22/09/2019 17:40:05

Dave W23/09/2019 11:28:06
26 forum posts

Thanks very much KC.

My main worry had been securing the battery once it has been inserted and your idea overcomes that.

There is a hatch on the underside that I can make removable and it will be no problem to have the model inverted while I insert the battery on its ply plate - I already have to do this on my Riot.

I will now go and explore this possibility.

Thanks again, Dave

kc23/09/2019 12:34:47
6032 forum posts
168 photos

The two possibieways of fixing the Lipos to ply are

cable ties and cutting away each time and replacing.( might be more secure and cable ties are cheap ) Or use a separate ply plate for each Lipo.

Velcro on battery and on ply together with velcro strap right around - belt and braces. Ply should be treated with a coating of epoxy etc and left to harden before using self adhesive Velcro. ( Self adhesive easily pulls off if the surface is not smooth)

Erfolg23/09/2019 17:21:32
11371 forum posts
1197 photos

KC

I think I must be misunderstanding you. you are not suggesting fastening the Lipo in place with cable ties and then cutting them to release the Lipo?

I worry about anything sharp near my lipos.I like to hold them in a soft manner, typically with a velcro strip and Velcro broad cable straps, as the braces to the velcro strip belt.

kc23/09/2019 17:48:54
6032 forum posts
168 photos

Well it would appear that is the way it's shown on the Wot4 electric modification! But the cable ties would seem to go out at an angle and a large gap would be available to get cutters in without touching the Lipo. ( ply plate is wider than lipo and it is notched to take cable ties ) But Erfolg is right to warn about any possibility of cutting into a Lipo and causing a short circuit which would be dangerous.

However all my own models are fixed with both Velcro patches and Velcro ties ( 2 for a 4S3000 ) which has worked well when mounted above the ply ( the method for Wot4 and possibly the Corben Super needs the Lipo to 'hang' underneath the ply which might mean cables ties are more secure)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us