Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

S8R problems...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martyn K21/09/2019 20:09:51
4897 forum posts
3551 photos

I am having my first foray into Gyro stabilised flight and having so many problems, I can't make sense of what I am doing wrong. Perhaps a friendly forumite or two can advise.

As mentioned I am using a recently purchased S8R receiver. Transmitter is my series 1 Taranis with OpenTX 2.2 installed.

I used the LUAs to calibrate and program the receiver and all appears to have gone well but...

1. Auto stabilisation on the rudder doesn't work. Nothing happens when I alter the model in Yaw

2. The Ailerons refuse to neutralise unless the model is banked 15 degrees to the right. I have re-calibrated 3 times and every time the amount of bank changes slightly so something is happening..

3. The elevator works OK ... (yaay)

4. I cant set my EPA. I normally use SB to get EPA for aileron and Elevator. I can see the switch selecting the different EPA values as I toggle through but this isn't getting transmitted to the receiver, i.e they are all on max EPA.

I have assigned SA to Channel 10 with overrides for +100 up and -100 down and SD Channel 12 with the same overrides set..

Any suggestions? I am tearing my hair out. I have googled but getting confused with the answers.

Thanks

Martyn

flight121/09/2019 21:05:01
622 forum posts
33 photos

hi i got a couple of these rx and have had a dabble . found the instructions to be unclear in the order of set up.

1st calibrate the RX with the lula script be presice in doing so

2nd set the type of plane ie. delta or normal plane etc

3rd perform self check with model in correct neutral flying position and don't move model until complete.

4th then set gain / direction etc after reboot and go from there

i do think you are missing doing the self check procedure which should be done after each recalibration

here are instructions from some kind chap on YouTube see

the instructions are poor

Edited By flight1 on 21/09/2019 21:06:42

Martyn K27/09/2019 23:00:07
4897 forum posts
3551 photos

Thanks flight1

I have tried that and no joy

I was pretty convinced I had a duff rx so I ordered another one.

Exactly the same problem. No auto stabilisation on rudder and no change in epa when selected on the tx. The ailerons also move from neutral when stabilisation is engaged. Yes the model is stable and at the correct attitude when the startup routine is initialised.

Very weird. I assumed it may be a corrupt model setting file so started a new model. This made no difference either.

Does anyone else have any thoughts?

Thanks

Martyn

Mike Blandford27/09/2019 23:37:14
529 forum posts
22 photos

Please confirm that when you do the "self check", you get the blue LED flashing, then the servos do a "dance", then you move aileron, elevator and rudder controls to their limits, then power the Rx off.

Mike

Eagle 89928/09/2019 11:45:07
177 forum posts
17 photos

I followed this and it works:-

Link

Shep

Bob Cotsford28/09/2019 11:53:23
7963 forum posts
439 photos
Posted by Mike Blandford on 27/09/2019 23:37:14:

Please confirm that when you do the "self check", you get the blue LED flashing, then the servos do a "dance", then you move aileron, elevator and rudder controls to their limits, then power the Rx off.

Mike

and check you have high rates selected when you waggle the sticks - that caught me out the first time I set it up.

Andy4828/09/2019 16:40:54
1376 forum posts
1 photos

Instructions for setting up the S6R and S8R here. Go to "How To Part 2"

OpenTX Documentation

Martyn K28/09/2019 19:02:01
4897 forum posts
3551 photos

Thanks all for your help. I have made some progress this afternoon.

A couple of errors on my behalf. I didn't do the stick limits as part of the setup and tbh, I am still not sure I am doing this correctly. I wait for the blue flashing light then move aer to the limits in both directions then power reset. I assume I don't have to do that every time. I am still not seeing medium epa but low epa now appears to work. Personally, I don't think I am getting full servo travel.

The big error was that I hadn't assigned a pot to the gain function. Once that was done, rudder started working. It seems very sensitive to movement. I am sure there is a setting where I can reduce the sensitivity. The gain function does not have much effect on a and e. A bit more to follow

Martyn

Martyn K28/09/2019 19:59:37
4897 forum posts
3551 photos

Sorry for the delay. I am at the amdram tonight and the lights went off and curtain up. Now intermission with tea and cake.

Apart from the EPA problem, I am still getting the servos kicking when I switch stabilisation on. Probably only about 3 degrees of servo travel but enough to upset trim. The system is bench set up at the moment so I can see the receiver is flat etc. Gets rid of an unknown or two.

Mike's point above about the servos doing a dance at the end of the self test doesn't happen which makes me wonder whether I am doing anything else wrong. I do get the flashing blue led for about 3 seconds at power up. I assume that is self test in progress.

I followed Shep's rcu link. Found it very helpful. Still working though it. I haven't set up Channel 11 as I thought that shouldn't be required when setting up in simple mode.

Anyway. Feeling a bit more positive about it now

Thanks for your help so far

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 28/09/2019 20:00:00

Bob Cotsford28/09/2019 20:59:30
7963 forum posts
439 photos

I have set up ch12 on a switch for initiating er initialisation by switching it 3 times. The other way iirc is to press the failsafe button, either way the model should be set up in flying attitude ie wings level and usually fuselage level or slightly nose up. Whichever way you start it off, the controls should waggle about then settle while the rx light remains blue. At this point quickly move rudder, elevator and aileron through their full control range (with max rates set) but keep throttle set low. Return the sticks to neutral and when the blue light goes off everything should be set. Once calibrated it shouldn't need doing again. I think that first blue light on powering up is just the internal initialisation.

I have gain set on S1, weight 50, offset 50 to tone it's effect down a bit. Once calibrated I delete the ch12 mix to prevent accidentally resetting everything.

Chris Bott - Moderator28/09/2019 21:00:53
6655 forum posts
1381 photos
1 articles

Martyn is your Tx set to send 16 channels? That's quite a common thing to forget.

Yes the servos must do the dance before you move the sticks to all extremes.

Martyn K28/09/2019 21:35:04
4897 forum posts
3551 photos

Hi Chris

I was under the impression with opentx 2. 2, 16 channels was defacto when D16 was selected for binding although the tx offers you the choice of D16 channels 1 to 8 or D26 channels 9 to 16.

How do you select 16 channels?

Martyn

Bob Cotsford29/09/2019 11:29:46
7963 forum posts
439 photos

Certainly with 2.2.4 and I think 2.2.3 you can select how many channels will be transmited, I don't think it was an option on earlier versions and they just sent 16 channels by default (in D16 of course!).

This is how it looks in Companion under Internal Radio System:

taranis snip.jpg

Chris Bott - Moderator29/09/2019 12:50:46
6655 forum posts
1381 photos
1 articles

If you're set to D16 and Channel Range 1-16 then you're fine.

If by any chance channel range is reduced then you may not be sending control channels 9, 10 & 11 that are used internally by the stabiliser, that was the point, really.

Martyn K29/09/2019 15:31:58
4897 forum posts
3551 photos

Chris

9 10 and 12 are in use plus 4 for aetra and 1 for uc

Here is a vid of the system working. Or not as the case may be

https://youtu.be/GgqPNSvS9ZI

Edited By Martyn K on 29/09/2019 15:32:48

Martyn K29/09/2019 15:36:27
4897 forum posts
3551 photos
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 29/09/2019 11:29:46:

Certainly with 2.2.4 and I think 2.2.3 you can select how many channels will be transmited, I don't think it was an option on earlier versions and they just sent 16 channels by default (in D16 of course!).

This is how it looks in Companion under Internal Radio System:

taranis snip.jpg

Thanks Bob

Have to admit that I rarely use companion now. Much prefer to set up models in the transmitter

Chris Bott - Moderator29/09/2019 16:09:12
6655 forum posts
1381 photos
1 articles

You're right Martin. For quick mode, It's 9, 10 & 12.

It looks like you have everything working there. Just make sure you check the direction of correction once it's in the model.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Slec
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us