Forum sponsored by CML

Cheap Chinese Laser Cutter

experiences with a Chinese laser cutter

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andy Joyce27/01/2020 18:26:19
178 forum posts
30 photos

Noticed on AliExpress there is a 7 or 15W laser with a fan assisted driver. Link. Has anyone tried one of these?

FlyinFlynn28/01/2020 13:48:16
124 forum posts
85 photos

That looks interesting, with the inclusion of the fan it would appear to be of a higher power than the run of the mill offerings, but bear in mind it is Chinese, so perhaps the specs might be a tad optimistic. Best order one before the prices go up on Saturday frown

Andy Joyce29/01/2020 19:14:39
178 forum posts
30 photos

Anyone else found a good buy on higher powered lasers?

adrian garnham29/01/2020 19:37:58
22 forum posts

I'm getting good results with this one .... gone down by £10 since I bought it

**LINK**

I'm just getting to grips with the focusing, feed rate, power and air assist but cuts through 3mm soft balsa in 2 passes.

Once I've fully sorted it I'll post some videos etc.

Phil Olson - Model Technics07/02/2020 14:24:24
39 forum posts

two questions

1 I'm using GRBL 0.9i (according to arduino ide) - should I update to 1.1f ?

2 when setting to servo mode the servo does nothing, but when in laser mode it twitches during the cut

I'm using the Elemaker A3 and eleksmaker software. I'm still at the testing stage so I've not actually used the laser, I've just put a pencil in place to check direction and size etc

Phil Olson - Model Technics07/02/2020 17:34:28
39 forum posts

I think I may have solved both as I took a spare Nano and put 1.1h on it and it now seems to work the servo OK

FlyinFlynn08/02/2020 11:32:21
124 forum posts
85 photos

You should be aware that 1.1h introduces self squaring gantry homing at the expense of variable spindle/laser mode on the cheaper versions of the cnc shield. what this basically means is that if you have bought and used one of the chinese clones of Protoneers 'cncshields' you will not be able to use laser mode or control the laser intensity using the spindle speed commands. more info in the release notes for grbl on github. If that is going to be a problem for you then I would suggest you download ver 1.1f and go with that. Servo control was added to GRBL around 0.9i, or at least some versions of 0.9i so you may have just been unlucky with your version, your servo should work fine with 1.1f

adrian garnham19/02/2020 20:38:45
22 forum posts

Hi all

I have finished building a 5W laser cutter which is a hybrid between the FlyinFlynn and Geoff Gardiner machines (thanks to you both for your input as I don't think I would have been able to complete it without your help)

I am more than happy with the results for cutting balsa but not so impressed with ply so I have almost finished making a CNC router with a 500W spindle motor.

What type of cutter should I use for cutting up to 6 mm birch plywood ?

Geoff Gardiner19/02/2020 22:57:27
483 forum posts
832 photos

Hi Adrian.

Glad to have been of any help.

I use a Dremel for my routing and these are the bits that I use - I have been using the 1mm bit.

Geoff...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
CADMA
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us