Forum sponsored by CML

Flair Models - a question

Might they come back?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Bisset24/09/2019 10:45:04
226 forum posts
5 photos

A question about ‘Flair’ models. When talking recently to a model shop owner, who had just sold the last of his old Flair related stock, he mentioned that the brand had a new owner, who he had recently been in contact with. The shop owner wasn’t aware if there was any intention to restart production, but hoped there might be.

Does anyone here have any information? I like the Flair Puppeteer which I have and would quite like to build more. Old kits do occasionally come up for sale I know. It would be nice to see these back in production!

Denis Watkins24/09/2019 11:05:45
4632 forum posts
129 photos

Maybe something here John

A new owner mentioned

**LINK**

John Bisset24/09/2019 11:17:36
226 forum posts
5 photos

Thank you Denis, I had not seen that thread. Possibly there is hope yet...

I notice there is someone in Staffordshire who regularly advertises several Flair kits, at prices which seem to vary from time to time, but (understandably) typically have some considerable mark up from the prices I recall. Anyone know anything about this ? - the name is not the same as the person quoted as now owning Flair, so possibly old stock held over from an ex-model shop?

Former Member24/09/2019 13:12:16

[This posting has been removed]

David P Williams24/09/2019 13:34:15
915 forum posts
318 photos

The chap in Staffordshire is a dealer, although he masquerades as a keen modeller. He places wanted ads for specific kits or types of kit, when you contact him with one to sell he tells you he's always wanted one of these and been searching for a while, you (I) gullibly think you're selling to a fellow modeller and agree a reasonable price, then see the kit re-advertised a couple of weeks later for double the price.

John Bisset24/09/2019 14:42:27
226 forum posts
5 photos

Thanks for that David, I suspected that might be the case. Shall avoid that route and perhaps enquire on here!

So - has anyone got a Flair Bristol Fighter kit or plans available? It looks a superb model

Ken Lighten24/09/2019 21:15:14
258 forum posts
42 photos

I thought I was the only one who got stung by the ‘gentleman’ from Staffordshire!

Doc Marten24/09/2019 22:02:51
735 forum posts
7 photos

When I contacted Dean he told me that he was winding down the company as he could not run it how he wanted to and that there are no plans to restart the kits.

i12fly24/09/2019 22:07:57
642 forum posts
22 photos

highpeakmodels.co.uk

say they can supply Flair kits, made to order with 8 - 12 weeks lead time. Don't know if this is still the case but it still shows on their website

John Bisset02/10/2019 12:41:38
226 forum posts
5 photos

Thanks Doc - sad to hear.

I wonder if that means the likes of 'highpeak models' - I shall contact them (thanks i12fly) will be able to continue supplying to order, or whether someone else could possibly buy over the rights to the company's products?

Cheers,

John B

Geoff S02/10/2019 16:00:57
3773 forum posts
36 photos

An alternative to the Flair Puppetteer might be the new DB S&S Sopwith Pup which has the same wingspan (60". It has the advantages of first, being near scale and, second, benefitting from the support DB are offering. Not sure of the price but I think it's now a shade over £200.

I bought my kit early for £195. I had to wait a while for delivery but as I wasn't ready to start anyway it wasn't a problem. I'll be starting in about a week.

Geoff

PS Just noticed Andrew's post earlier suggesting the 60" DB Sopwith Pup.  All I can say is my kit looks lovely in the box with nicely presented drawings and comprehensive instructions. I just hope it will still look lovely when I build it

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 02/10/2019 16:05:23

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!