By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Simon's F-86 Sabre of the Patrullia Ascua.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Simon Ward 226/09/2019 12:41:35
23 forum posts
173 photos

f86-009.jpg

Had a look through everyone's chosen scheme's and couldn't see this one, so I'll give it a whirl.

It's a bit 'flashy', maybe not in the same league as Martyn K's though!!

Martin Gay26/09/2019 12:45:49
260 forum posts
230 photos

Very nice Simon,

Shouldn't be too difficult to mask up for painting!

martin.

Simon Ward 226/09/2019 13:20:34
23 forum posts
173 photos

My thoughts exactly Martin.

I've not finished an aircraft in paint for a long time, so this is a great opportunity to have another go.

Simon.

Simon Ward 202/11/2019 15:24:10
23 forum posts
173 photos

Well, finally managed to get round to starting the build.

I like building wings, so decided to make a start on the wing jig. Once the ply parts had been fettled a bit, I dry assembled the structure. At this point I noticed the port side of the jig was a little 'off' compared to the other. Not a problem as I'd decided to use Martin's trick of adding in some triangular fillets to 'lock' the structure in place.

However, at the last minute I remembered a rather solid piece of MDF in the shed, which I could utilise as a base board, sticking the whole jig to it. This has the added benefit of really locking the jig in place, as well as allowing me to move the whole structure if needed. The building room doubles/triples as a 'pain cave' and a music room.

So at time of writing it looks like this:

p1050415.jpg

p1050416.jpg

Next job is to sort out some suitable wood for the skins and then decide what wood to use for the spars. I'm leaning towards hard balsa, as the final finish is hopefully going to be glass/epoxy, which should add a little strength to the structure.

Simon.

Martin Gay02/11/2019 16:02:41
260 forum posts
230 photos

'Pain cave'?

No, I am not going to ask!

Simon Ward 202/11/2019 16:56:49
23 forum posts
173 photos

Wise man blush.

Simon Ward 209/11/2019 21:55:03
23 forum posts
173 photos

Well, I did make a start on the wing skins this week and I decided to go with hard balsa spars.

So at present the lower skins look like this, with the hard balsa spars glued up:

p1050417.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow (Sunday) I can crack on with the glueing the ribs on. I've decided to leave off the flaps, I'd already pondered on this and then saw Peter's post in Danny Fenton's build and that was the clincher.

Looks like I will also go with 2 centrally mounted servo's. I always like to try and keep the weight out of the outboard portion of the wings if at all possible. The 2 servo's will still allow me to use the ailerons as spoilers.

Simon.

Danny Fenton09/11/2019 22:06:48
9282 forum posts
4112 photos

Sounds like a sensible plan to me Simon I will follow you with balsa spars.

I can see you have a bottle of titebond will you use that for the wing construction? I usually use thin CA but I know that will penetrate through the sheeting and stick the wing skins to the jig crook So may use an aliphatic or pva.

Cheers

Danny

Simon Ward 209/11/2019 22:20:36
23 forum posts
173 photos

Hi Danny, good to speak to you.

I used Titebond to glue the spars down, but to be honest I use a mixture of glues. As it's the wings, I tend to steer clear of superglues as I've found the joints to be a little brittle over time. I'll probably use aliphatic on the ribs and then Titebond on the shear webs. I have used super'phatic before and this speeds up construction quite a bit. Regarding the shear webs, I'm using 1/8th hard balsa between the spars to form an I section. I've found this reduces weight (less glue) as well as increasing the strength. Win, win.

Cheers,

Simon.

Simon Ward 211/11/2019 19:54:57
23 forum posts
173 photos

Managed to get the ribs glued up yesterday. In the end I used Super'Phatic for the most part. I did 'cheat' a little and used Zap-a Gap to bond the front 1/4" of rib R1 to the lower skin, just because I wasn't able to weight the rib down to conform to the jig. Once R1 was in and stable, I was able to weight subsequent ribs and just used Super'Phatic for the remainder of the ribs.

p1050420.jpg

p1050422.jpg

p1050423.jpg

p1050430.jpg

Need to add the false LE next and then it's onto the right wing panel to get it to the same stage. That's probably going to take me the rest of the week!!

Cheers.

Simon.

McG 696911/11/2019 20:04:58
2706 forum posts
1015 photos

Hi Simon,

Following your build and learning a lot... smiley

... and I really need that. angel

Cheers

Chris

Simon Ward 211/11/2019 21:38:26
23 forum posts
173 photos

Hi Chris, following your build too.

Harry's advice is spot on regarding the top skins, much easier to make all 4 skins up now.

Cheers,

Simon.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us