Another noob!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Robin Martinus06/10/2019 15:34:28
5 forum posts
5 photos

Hi,

Starting again after a 40 year layoff!

I have been a glider pilot and am currently grounded for the next many months due to surgery.

In order to avoid going stir-crazy and losing sanity by watching too much Netflix/Prime, I have started to try and see if I can find my old balsa modelling skills.

The initial joy/challenge is just the build - if and when I have completed projects, lets see if I can fly them! (Had very limited success flying drones as anti-aircraft targets, many moons back, while doing national service).

I have tooled-up? and have been doing a few of the plans in 'RCME traditional building skills edition' - 'Sticky' and now 'Bitty' are taking shape on my board, as practice.

A 2m glider kit has been ordered for when I feel confident enough!

I have been in contact with a couple of local clubs and look forward to getting to meet them.

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator06/10/2019 17:19:00
6733 forum posts
191 photos

Welcome to the Forum Robin....& welcome to your new...old hobby...

You'll find a lot of changes have occurred in the last 40 years.....wink 2

kc06/10/2019 17:47:19
6224 forum posts
169 photos

If you are back after 40 years you probably used dope and tissue in the past - now heat shrink film is common. However there is now a modern type of non flammable, low odour dope called EzeDope which might be worth trying.

Rich too06/10/2019 19:00:10
3057 forum posts
1070 photos

Welcome yes

Rich too06/10/2019 19:00:45
3057 forum posts
1070 photos
Posted by kc on 06/10/2019 17:47:19:

If you are back after 40 years you probably used dope and tissue in the past - now heat shrink film is common. However there is now a modern type of non flammable, low odour dope called EzeDope which might be worth trying.

Cheek, I was using film 40 years ago wink

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
CADMA
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us