Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

BMFA 'B' Test Video Available

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martin Harris10/10/2019 00:26:07
8793 forum posts
215 photos

It's not so long ago that it was standard practice to teach new pilots to take off in this way - at least at our club. When I started to instruct, I made a point of getting my pupils to take off from the pilot's box right from their first attempts and they managed very well. It fairly quickly became the norm and only a few of the old diehards still ventured out onto the runway and refused to adapt. I was very pleased when the BMFA specified that take offs for A tests were to be controlled from the pilot's box.

Personally, I find it far more important to be able to judge the model's attitude effectively from the side than any dubious benefit of standing behind - and if you can't judge a straight take of run from that position, how can you do the same for a landing?

Brian Cooper10/10/2019 10:56:52
444 forum posts
20 photos
Posted by Martin Harris on 10/10/2019 00:26:07:

It's not so long ago that it was standard practice to teach new pilots to take off in this way - at least at our club. When I started to instruct, I made a point of getting my pupils to take off from the pilot's box right from their first attempts and they managed very well. It fairly quickly became the norm and only a few of the old diehards still ventured out onto the runway and refused to adapt. I was very pleased when the BMFA specified that take offs for A tests were to be controlled from the pilot's box.

Personally, I find it far more important to be able to judge the model's attitude effectively from the side than any dubious benefit of standing behind - and if you can't judge a straight take of run from that position, how can you do the same for a landing?

=   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =    =   =   =   =   =   =   =    =   =   =

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​HEAR HEAR to that.

B.C.

Edited By Brian Cooper on 10/10/2019 11:01:28

Denis Watkins10/10/2019 11:11:56
3875 forum posts
58 photos

Use of pilots box vital yes

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us