Forum sponsored by CML

SIG Kougar Refurb and Electric Conversion

Refurbing my old Sig Kougar after many years of hard flying

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gary Clark 125/09/2020 15:31:50
288 forum posts
153 photos

Momentum on the Kougar has continued. I have poured the plaster into the old canopy to make a mould for a new one. I have never made a canopy this way so learning as I go. I made a small frame/box for the canopy to sit it for when I fill it with plaster

20200925_140044.jpg

This should mean it keeps its shape whilst the plaster sets. Plaster in and fingers crossed20200925_145923.jpg

I gave it a good shoogle (great scottish word there) to get any air bubbles out and put it aside to set.

My wife is feeling a bit poorly today so decided to go for a nap when our little boy was napping so I took full advantage and used the dinning room table to do this and glass the wing and tail parts.....I'm am definitely in the bad books wen she gets up but it is much warmer than the garage today!

Wing and tail parts glassed on one side using the peel ply method which has worked well for my moth minor build.

20200925_145904.jpg

Hopefully get the other sides glassed over the weekend then primed. I also need to build a vac forming box for the canopy and a smaller one for making things like wing tip light covers and similar parts. Again, I am new to vac forming so any tips welcome!

Gary

Gary Clark 125/09/2020 22:07:10
288 forum posts
153 photos

Look what came out of the mould! Really chuffed with this. Need to fill a few little imperfections but generally it is perfectly smooth.

20200925_215813.jpg

Just need to build the vac form box now and give it a go.

Gary

Gary Clark 111/10/2020 22:05:55
288 forum posts
153 photos

It has been a busy few weeks but i managed to get the vac form box made and had my first ever go of making a canopy. It took a few efforts and a few failures but finally got something useable i think

20201011_214853.jpg

I managed to break the end of my mould on the last pull so it better work!

20201011_214832.jpg

The canopy frame transferred over well but i am going to use aluminium tape to build it up more. I also got the hatch cut on top for battery access

20201011_214818.jpg

20201011_214804.jpg

I am going to use magnets to keep it in place but i can't really sort out the placement and the other internal workings until i put the wing on, the tail parts, motor and the cowl so that i can get a rough CG then i will put a floor in for the battery to sit on and work out where everything else will go.

I will need to get the wing on to check the join is tidy enough and then i will glass the fuse. Starting to feel like i am getting somewhere.

Gary

Gary Clark 116/10/2020 22:23:11
288 forum posts
153 photos

I've been priming and sanding the wing and tail parts and have them almost at a good enough standard so got the primer on again to fill the low spots. This isn't the most enjoyable part for me but I do love the end results. Meanwhile I shaped the wing to fuse fillet

20201016_221008.jpg

Before sanding

20201016_220948.jpg

And after. Filler is still wet but will get that sanded tomorrow then I'll glass over that and add the strengthening glass strip underneath before blending that all in. I still need to sheet the forward fuselage so I'm currently curling a bit of 1/8 so that it's ready to go on. It all needs a tidy up sand but definitely getting there.

Gary

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!