Forum sponsored by CML

Open tx 2.3.?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Kim Taylor09/10/2019 14:23:39
279 forum posts
53 photos

Hi to all. I'm new to open tx, so please be patient!!blush

I've just bought an X9D plus SE 2019. The firmware version as delivered is 2.3.0

Now, I've downloaded the SD card contents from the open tx website and put it in to the tx, but when I switch it on, I get a screen saying that the version I've downloaded is not the 'expected' version (sorry, forgot what the number is at the moment, but it's 2 below that which I've downloaded, if you see what I mean).crook

Should I flash the tx with 2.3.1 straight away, or will I be opening a whole can of worms by messing with it at this stage in my experience with it.

Or would it be better to find the SD card contents folder for 2.3.0 and stick with that for now.

I also now realise that I've downloaded the companion software for 2.3.1, so presumably if I try to get it to 'talk' to the tx I'll have similar issues.

I was expecting to have these kind of issues, having come over from Spektrum I've been spoilt by the menu driven programming, but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing before possibly doing a very wrong thing!!kulou

Any advice gratefully received.

Kim

Edited By Kim Taylor on 09/10/2019 14:50:19

flight109/10/2019 14:49:35
622 forum posts
33 photos

Well you might as well start from the latest release of opentx 2.3.1 from here install companion and set the correct radio in the settings first, then let it down load the latest version you want for your radion and flash .

then get the latest soud pack here With the sd card make sure you delete the old card contents and then unzip the new file and copy and past it onto the sd card. should be good to go then.

Edited By flight1 on 09/10/2019 14:51:51

Kim Taylor09/10/2019 17:27:10
279 forum posts
53 photos

Hi flight

Okey dokey, looked at that and seems straightforward enough. I'll do it later when it's quiet.

Coincidentally, the same query has just come up on the rcgroups forum so it's not just me!!

Thanks

Kim

Andy4809/10/2019 17:51:17
1376 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Kim Taylor on 09/10/2019 14:23:39:

I was expecting to have these kind of issues, having come over from Spektrum I've been spoilt by the menu driven programming, but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing before possibly doing a very wrong thing!!kulou

I think it is the other way round. Once you understand the potential of OpenTX you will realise that getting away from the menu system is like getting out of a straight jacket.

David Hall 909/10/2019 18:24:18
155 forum posts
2 photos

I had this small problem too...

It seems (If I recall correctly) that the system checks the issue of the SD contents against the F/W running. It does this simply by reading a text file that lives in the root of the SD card. If the two are different, it warns you.

If there is no SD card image for the FW issue that you are running (they don't change too often), it will complain. If you like, you can edit the text file to correct the issue level to the one you want...but bear in mind that there may be a new updated issue of SD card image to come.

flight109/10/2019 19:14:33
622 forum posts
33 photos

With this problem it is the small text file that lets the system know you have the right sd card contents for the version of optx you have so a bit important.

when updating the sd card to preserve the custom voice and model picture files (you might have luna too etc) i copy and paste the new contents in each folder one by one and when the computer asks 'some files have the same name' i click 'replace these files' so preserving my custom extras hile updating whats' changed.

Sounds complicated but quite simple when done and in this case not a problem as you haven't made any custom stuff yet thats for later if needed.

Ps if models have been created don't delete that folder,surprise always buck up with companion and when updated right back to radio.

Kim Taylor09/10/2019 19:56:24
279 forum posts
53 photos

Hi all and thanks for input.

I'm failing at the first fence because my browser (chrome) is seeing the zadig download as malware and doesn't even give me the option of overriding the filter.

Any ideas??

Kim

eta

OK, got over that problem and clicked to run zadig as administrator, but the driver list isn't populating so I can't select the relevant driver to replace

Again, any wisdom??

Kim

Edited By Kim Taylor on 09/10/2019 20:13:08

eta (again)

Found it!!

As you were

Kim

Edited By Kim Taylor on 09/10/2019 20:17:07

Andy4809/10/2019 20:26:33
1376 forum posts
1 photos

Kim, you don't need Zadig at all. The firmware is simply updated from the Companion. If you want a reasonably updated set of documentation see here. This is for 2.2 but covers 99% of what is on 2.3, and its only some of the most recent changes that are missing:

OpenTX Documentation

Kim Taylor09/10/2019 21:21:08
279 forum posts
53 photos

Hi Andy,

I thought that I'd read that, but when I tried to update via companion I got the error message which zadig is used to bypass.dont know

Anyway, I installed it and carried out the update via companion. I found that I had to re-calibrate the sticks, sliders and pots but now that I've done that all seems well. Oh and it turned the backlight off, for some reason.

I've uploaded a test model which I created in companion and it all looks ok - I'll connect up a rx to a model tomorrow and see what happens, I'm suffering screen fatigue now!!

I'm sure that once I get over the initial 'yips' I'll revel in the functionality and (more important to me) rock solid radio link compared to my last system.smiley

Thanks to all for your input, I'm sure I'll be back soon!!blush

Kim

Andy4809/10/2019 21:42:01
1376 forum posts
1 photos

I had three planes all crashed in similar circumstances with loss of signal within a fortnight. I got rid of my Spekky (as did many other club members) and never had a problem since.

Check out the simulator in the Companion. A great way to test out your model works as expected before hooking up a receiver.

Edited By Andy48 on 09/10/2019 21:43:41

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us