Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

XYH motors

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Geoff Sleath10/10/2019 12:43:52
3481 forum posts
318 photos

In about 2013 I bought an XYX 5055/05 motor from the sadly gone Giant Cod. It's a pretty hefty motor which is 700kv with (I think) a maximum current of 60 amps (but for how long, I don't know. Probably not continuous). The motor has no markings on it and the only reason for my identifying it are the notes I made when I fitted it to my Eezee Pezee trainer which was built for a 60 size engine (it's a very big model though relatively light).

My records indicate that on 4S it drew around 46 amps on a 13x6.5 and 57 on a 14x7. It seems about right for the DB 60" Sopwith Pup I'm just starting to build. I replaced it in the Eezee with an old Laser 62 I overhauled over Christmas 2018 as it was the easiest airframe I had to install it.

I can't find any real trace for XYH on the web but I'm sure I had some data at one time but I've lost it. I believe they are the source/actual manufacturers for many named (or badged) motors including Turnigy. I wondered if anyone had any data sheets tucked away or any information at all.

Geoff

Denis Watkins10/10/2019 13:13:40
3926 forum posts
61 photos

search on this site

Motor Availability

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 04/06/2011 23:50:45:

When it continually spat out magnets, I replaced my Turnigy 4250 650kv with the XYH equivalent. Unfortunately and yet again, GC's stocking ability leaves something to be desired............

I've found this motor to be very much smoother and quieter than the Turnigy - and with more than enough power for my E-Flite Beaver. Timbo's option seems to be for a 5 or 6S setup, so could this be more suitable for a 4S setup?

Geoff

XYH motors are 4max Purple Power Geoff

Mike Blandford10/10/2019 13:23:31
541 forum posts
22 photos

I think the Ripmax Quantum 55 is the same motor, have a look at pictures of it and see if it matches.

Mike

Mike T10/10/2019 13:46:10
422 forum posts
28 photos

Try Robotbirds.

I've bought several from their 'budget' range over the years and they all turned out to be XYHs. I particularly like them because, size-for-size, they have thicker shafts than other equivalents (e.g., 5mm on a 35-series motor, where other brands are usually 4mm)

Geoff Sleath10/10/2019 15:46:29
3481 forum posts
318 photos

Thanks, gents.

I think Mike Blandford is right. It looks to be exactly the same as the Ripmax Qantum 55. Even the anodising on the case is he same colour and it has an 8mm shaft. The dimensions seem to be the same - 50mm diameter and, although the bit of the case that's exposed is 50mm rather than the 55mm of the Quantum there's a small extension hidden in the case-mounted prop driver that will add the extra 5mm.

Robotbirds stock the same motor. I don't know how much I paid back in 2013 but I'm sure it would have been a lot less that the £50 Robotbirds are asking, knowing what good value Giant Cod were.

It looks a good fit for the Pup powerwise but offers a few problems(minor) physically. I just need a new esc.

Incidentally, I've always so far relied on the esc bec to power the electronics of my models. I look for a switched mode rather than linear regulator and an output of 5 or 6 amps. Is it really necessary to have a separate external regulator when I'm using a 4S pack?

Geoff

Mike Blandford10/10/2019 16:10:49
541 forum posts
22 photos

My most recent electrification is a 60" span aerobatic model. I'm using a FrSky Neuron ESC with 8A, switch mode BEC. The BEC output voltage is programmable up to 8V. I'm using 4S lipo (two off 3000mAh in parallel). Since I use a FrSky Tx, I get all the telemetry data from the ESC (flight pack voltage and current, ESC temperature, RPM, and BEC voltage). It also has a programmable current limit.

Mike

Nigel R10/10/2019 16:12:12
3154 forum posts
479 photos

" Is it really necessary to have a separate external regulator when I'm using a 4S pack?"

I don't use one on any of my 4S models. Just ensure the ESC is nicely cooled.

Geoff Sleath10/10/2019 16:28:56
3481 forum posts
318 photos

As I'm saving money on the motor (so far!) and I'm also a Frsky user (Horus 10a) I'll have a look at a Neuron esc. I usually fit current telemetry for the ealy flights anyway. I only have one and I shift it to where I need it.

I've never bothered before and most of the models I fly now are 4S.

Geoff

Andy4810/10/2019 17:16:32
1393 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Mike Blandford on 10/10/2019 16:10:49:

My most recent electrification is a 60" span aerobatic model. I'm using a FrSky Neuron ESC with 8A, switch mode BEC. The BEC output voltage is programmable up to 8V. I'm using 4S lipo (two off 3000mAh in parallel). Since I use a FrSky Tx, I get all the telemetry data from the ESC (flight pack voltage and current, ESC temperature, RPM, and BEC voltage). It also has a programmable current limit.

Mike

That last feature is really useful. Shame they are rather a pig to program.

Mike Blandford10/10/2019 18:47:45
541 forum posts
22 photos

What problem with programming the Neuron did/do you have?

Mike

Geoff Sleath10/10/2019 21:27:42
3481 forum posts
318 photos

They do seem a bit complicated to me and I was involved professionally with microprocessors, assembler, and 'C' for years but I have been retired since 1995 so things have moved on.

However I have no idea what LUA script is nor what s/w interprets and/or compiles it. I also have no idea what Blheli 32 is and I thought Arduino Nano was a small self programmed microcomputer. I never got involved with any of those because the ones I saw needed a TV for video and we've never owned one of those (although we bought a small one for our campervan to use in the evenings 4 months ago which we've used twice).

So for me, it's a steep learning curve. Perhaps I only know enough not to accept something where I don't fully understand the underlying stuff a punter doesn't need to know. Probably overthinking it.

Geoff

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us