Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

RES Eagle

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Phil Morrell10/10/2019 23:30:58
6 forum posts
5 photos

I am in the final stages of completing my RES Eagle built from scratch off the RCM&E plan. I have a question for Ton or any other builders. Did you move the position of the spoiler servo forward to give more room for the linkage. Excellent model and looking forward to flying it soon.

buster prop12/10/2019 13:12:18
471 forum posts
9 photos

Phil, Please let us know how it flies and if you can, post some pictures. I have the plan for the RES-Eagle and it’s next on my build list. Btw there is a build thread on here started by Ton, the designer. Looking at the plan there isn’t a lot of room for moving the spoiler servo it’s between the carbon spar and the front wing bolt. Our club intends to run F3 comps next year for 2M towline gliders and the RES Eagle looks like a good candidate.

Phil Morrell12/10/2019 22:17:02
6 forum posts
5 photos

Hi , Thanks for your reply, You are correct , there is not a lot of room for the spoiler servo and linkage. I have mine installed but need some work to do on the linkage geometry to make the spoiler fully deploy. we have at least four Eagles in build by my fellow club members and we intend to introduce RES gliders in our summer Wednesday evening comps next year. Currently we fly open gliders on a 20 lb max load bungee, far too much for an RES, we are therefore bringing in a couple of 10lb max RES bungees and will allow the RES models to compete against the open models, mainly 100"" models. It will be interesting to see how the RES models compare against the 100" models. Can't wait for next year to see how the RES models fair. My picture shows my part built Eagleimg-20191005-wa0001.jpg

buster prop22/10/2019 14:00:45
471 forum posts
9 photos

Phil, I’ve ordered a kit from SMC. They rang to say there will be a delay while they get 6mm carbon spars. I think the outer panels have had the spar size increased from 4mm on the original plan to 6 because of flutter problems on launch. Our club has run electric glider comp’s for the last few years and are now proposing an F3 bungee launched 2M class so I’m having a go. I’ve been a regular E competitor so I’m used to flying gliders but not experienced at bungee launching. Other people manage and It doesn’t look too difficult as long as the glider is set up properly with no warps. Your model looks good, has it flown yet?

Steve Houghton 122/10/2019 14:18:40
1893 forum posts
128 photos

Buster prop - bungee launching is easy enough. I have set up a 'launch mode' on my tx, so activated by a spare switch in flight modes and it gives a little up elevator without you having to hold elevator on the stick during the climb out. My model has flaps so the flaps are activated in launch mode also. Once the model reaches its max height and levels out, pushing down elevator on the stick unhooks the model, (if it already hasn't done so) but also resets the elevator (and flaps) to neutral. The only thing you have to do during the climb out is control direction using the rudder.

buster prop22/10/2019 18:55:31
471 forum posts
9 photos

Steve, I tried bungee launching a few years ago and although I got the glider unhooked it lost quite a lot of height. Thanks for the tip about having slight up elevator for launch. With electric I have a bit of down to stop the climb being too steep as the model can power stall or even loop. I have seen skilled pilots hover the plane at the top of the towline, pointing into wind, then stretch the bungee vertically and ping the glider off gaining more height. Something to learn after a few successful launches I think.

Phil Morrell22/10/2019 21:27:44
6 forum posts
5 photos

Hi Buster Prop and Steve, bungee launching is fairly straight forward. Just a few key points: try not to over stretch the bungee, measure the load with a spring balance if you can. In our club comps we always measure the pull load when we set up the bungess. With open 100" gliders we aim for around 15 to 18 lb but reduce a couple of pounds for 2m models such as Gentle Ladies, a simple spring balance used for fishing will do the trick. For an RES model such as the Eagle don't go over 10lb or you risk breaking the wing. Don't pull up too much elevator on the launch, best to just let it go without any elevator input at first at just concentrate on keeping it tracking straight, once you have gained more experience and know the model better only then start to pull more elevator. I always find that it is best to let the glider fly off the bungee at the top straight and level, pinging and stretching the bungee is great for gaining that little extra height but if you get it wrong you end up with the model stalling and loosing a considerable amount of height. Like most things practice makes perfect, take it easy at first and then you will soon get the hang of it and wonder what all the fuss was about.

A number of my fellow club members have recently ordered Eagle kits and found the carbon supplied for the outer wing panels was 4mm not 6mm. SMC have responded very quick in sending out replacement 6mm spars. They must have now alerted their kit supplier hence the delay but I am sure you will get your Eagle soon.

Not flown mine yet as I am waiting for our new 4kg RES club bungees to arrive. I may leave the first flight until spring next year but if we get some reasonable weather before then I may give it a go. Once I get it flying I will post any flying shots and let you know how it flies

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
CML
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us