Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Switches...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
john stones 112/10/2019 18:42:11
11541 forum posts
1517 photos

Fitting my switches in a petrol model, logical and tidiest place has them close to the ignition unit ? RX is placed as far away as possible, am I o.k, or do I need to move switches location ?

Richard. W.12/10/2019 18:57:19
71 forum posts

I'd say you were fine to fit them. As long as the rx is away from the ignition, the switch placement shouldn't matter. I have a petrol plane with the switches very close to the ignition and have no problems.

Don Fry12/10/2019 21:26:52
4557 forum posts
54 photos

I looked at.this thread earlier. My first thought was no, put the switch and it's wires back away from the interference source, then I thought, why do you think no, and I had no answer, so I shut up.

Can anyone do a bit of a technical answer to the question.

Geoff S12/10/2019 21:36:10
3669 forum posts
26 photos

If the wiring and switches is very close to the igntion and the high voltages (ie 1000s of volts) are inadequately screened then it's possible interfering voltage spikes could be induced into the wiring and on to the receiver etc. It may be or not be a problem and you could be OK but it's better to route any wiring connected to the electronics away from potential interference sources.

If it's not too much of a hassle I'd move the switchs away from the ignition unit just to be on the safe side. Your choice but do a thorough range check before flying with the engine running.

Geoff

john stones 112/10/2019 22:25:24
11541 forum posts
1517 photos

Cheers folks, never heard of it as a problem, but if I have to move them, there's holes to refill, I'll put em further away and settle for that. yes

Rich too13/10/2019 08:27:14
3060 forum posts
1070 photos

Hi John, on all my petrol models the ignition unit is generally mounted on the outside of the engine box, and the receiver and switch way back, near the wing tube. Never had interference...

Peter Christy13/10/2019 10:14:43
1823 forum posts

Are we talking about ignition switches or radio switches?

I would always recommend keeping anything connected to the receiver as far away as possible from ignition circuits. Of course, this isn't always possible and anyway, modern 2.4GHz gear is generally less susceptible to ignition noise than 35 MHz gear.

However, it never does any harm to keep the receiver and its associated wiring as far away from sources of interference as you can manage.

Don: Guess you made it back to France OK? Good to catch up with you on Friday!

--

Pete

john stones 113/10/2019 14:21:30
11541 forum posts
1517 photos

Not a big enough model to do that Rich, it's Seagull Funky Cub, units at side of tank.

Went with ignition switch up front and rx switch at back of cabin, be a faff turning on/off but best way I reckon.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!