Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

50 years ago

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Geoff Sleath13/10/2019 18:00:58
3421 forum posts
295 photos

We're having foam insulation in all the various lofts spaces in our small but chaotically designed(?) old cottage. I created one of the spaces as a dark room cum workshop and it's quite habitable but has become a storage area for 'stuff' so it needed to be cleared a bit

In an old attache case I came across some Sunday Times Magazines amongst a load of 1960s motor cycle tests I'd cut out of 'The Motor Cycle' for some reason. One of them is dated August 16 1969 and is full of pictures about the Apollo 11 mission that had recently been undertaken. Both my wife and I are hoarders and hate throwing stuff away of either interest or 'in case it might be useful'. It does cause some problems but it means Avice is very tolerant of my foibles as I am of hers.

We bought this magazine just a couple of years after we got married so we've been hoarding for some time Good job we've only moved house twice.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 13/10/2019 18:02:39

Tom Sharp 213/10/2019 19:37:48
3545 forum posts
18 photos

I live in an old cottage dated 1850. We moved into the premises when we married in 1958. The floors of the four bedrooms were all covered with Linoleum. It was the practice to line the linoleum with old newspapers to cushion movement of the floorboards which could crack the linoleum. When we rolled up the lino to dispose of it we found that the newspapers underneath dated back to the World War 2.

Cuban814/10/2019 08:50:18
2758 forum posts
13 photos

In our first house, same as Tom had under his old linoleum, I found a 1938 Daily Mirror that was full of Munich crisis coverage. Fascinating to read the contemporary story rather than from a modem historian's point of view. The adverts are also very much of their time and just as interesting to read. A good one is for 'Yeast Vite' that was sold to counter the stresses and strains of 1938's 'hectic lifestyle'. Constipation seemed to be a particular and widespread worry for everyone then with several unintentionally amusing (to us now) adverts for 'Bile Beans' etc. More hectic stuff to come than perhaps they were expecting a year later. Still have the paper tucked away somewhere.

Serious hoarding is I submit, a fairly recent phenomenon for ordinary people, mainly because those of very modest means in the past had very little to actually hoard. Some people explain away their reluctance to chuck anything away now as they didn't have much in the past, and hanging on to all sorts of junk is worthwhile because 'it might come in handy'. That is true to an extent............ one of my older friends had a shed full of worn car parts going back some fifty years - quite useless, nothing out of the ordinary or valuable ( as can be found in old sheds, but rarely) however there was no way he'd get rid of them 'just in case' despite knowing in his own mind that they'd ultimately wind up in a skip. They were dumped a while back.

I'm amazed at how people will fill their garages with 'stuff', so much so that they can't even get into the place. I saw a chap open the up and over door to his garage fairly recently and there was a solid wall of goodness knows what, right up to the timber door frame. Why??.

My own family came from a very poor background, but never hoarded anything 'just in case' - my mum hated clutter of any description and sadly, many of my much loved (and now quite collectable) toys met their early fate in the dustbincrying. so it did (does) take all sorts.

I don't hoard much myself, I might keep one or two magazines but the incentive to do so as there was, pre- internet is simply not there. I do wish I'd hoarded my old motorbikes from the 1970s though...££££s now.

Edited By Cuban8 on 14/10/2019 09:05:08

ken anderson.14/10/2019 09:23:48
8451 forum posts
773 photos

in our previous house that was built circa 1900,we decided to upgrade it all.In one of the panels in the living room we found a fully clothed skeleton, which we reported to the police, who called and removed it for investigation.

after a couple of months passed we received a phone call telling us the skeleton had been identified as the "1957 northern Ireland world hide and seek champion"

ken anderson...ne...1....all them years ago dept.

Alex Ferguson 214/10/2019 22:39:14
28 forum posts

From the Home page of a certain Men's Shed -

“What’s all that rubbish in the garage / workshop / shed?”
He replies, “It is stock awaiting job assignment.”

Note, the person asking the question isn't identified.....smiley

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us