Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Ammo Box for Lipos ??

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Stuphedd14/10/2019 11:40:01
666 forum posts
352 photos

I feel now I ought to get an " Ammo Box " in which to store and transport my growing collection of lipos .

Looking on line there are many to choose from , so I would welcome any suggestion as to the best size and useability which would suit the average leccy flier !

so any experience /advice would be welcome

thanks

cheers

Peter Miller14/10/2019 11:45:50
10331 forum posts
1231 photos
10 articles

I have a smallone but soon bought a Battsafe.

If you use an ammo box it should have some vent holes drilled in it. Our club sec did a really fancy one with holes and welded in baffles and even compartments to keepthe batteries separate.

The oimportat thing is the vent holes or the gas could make the box explode.

On my one I drilled a few 11/4" holes and removed some of the seal round the lid.

DDH14/10/2019 12:07:44
35 forum posts
2 photos

I use 50 Cal Ammo Box 5.56mm Steel Tin 27cm x 14 cm x 17 cm. (ex-U.S. Army/Danish NATO).

Put layer of sand or ideally vermiculite on the bottom and never seal the lid down otherwise it’ll turn into a small bomb – unless you drill some vent holes that is. Stored outside in a dustbin – lipo storage charge level checked every 2-3 months.

Try Google or eBay.

For charging inside anywhere (e.g. house, shed, garage) – and transporting - I use Bat-Safe.

**LINK**

Old Geezer14/10/2019 12:25:06
640 forum posts

Yes - - - - BUT!

Although an ammo box might keep the flames inside - metal boxes are remarkably poor heat insulators and as Peter mentioned above, you need to provide vent holes to allow the gases to escape, otherwise you've got a bomb on your hands, also, given time the heat transferred from inside your box may ignite anything remotely flammable nearbye. Potentially you can add to heat and fire risks the smoke escaping through the vents which will damage the inside of your shed/garage/hobby room. We had a house fire back in the 60s - having been there ( but no Tee shirt ) - I never ever want another one.

My own "solution" has been to store my LiPos outside in a large insulated box after charging ( charging always outdoors - on a pensioned off NHS steel trolley ), the box is frost proofed by fitting the bottom of a heated seed tray on thick foam underneath my LiPos. Incidentally, despite assurances from some LiPo suppliers ( not all, some remain cagey ) some of my LiPos that did get well and truly chilled a couple of years ago have never seemed quite as good since, however I have no figures to quote, it's just a feeling.

Edited By Old Geezer on 14/10/2019 12:27:36

J D 814/10/2019 13:25:50
1320 forum posts
78 photos

For most of my Coastguard service years we stored signal and parachute illumination flares in 50 cal ammo box's with larger mortar box's for the spare's on station. A new purpose made box was introduced and frankly we thought it was a joke.

The new box's are thin steel with more holes than metal and a carboard liner ! A demo with bunch of flares inside and then ignited showed us sceptics how effective it was at containing and dissipating the pressure and tremendous heat produced by such flares.

Stuphedd14/10/2019 18:26:25
666 forum posts
352 photos

Thanks chaps ,

I now know which way to progress .smiley

cheers

Ron Gray14/10/2019 18:52:28
1554 forum posts
367 photos

Remove the rubber seals from the ammo box lid, that way you get plenty of ventilation without the need to drill holes. I lit some newspaper in the first one that I got to do a smoke test, works fine.

Stuart Z14/10/2019 18:59:25
382 forum posts

Another vote for the Battsafe.

It’s purpose made for the job and there is a video on You Tube somewhere showing it’s effectiveness.

S

Bruce Collinson14/10/2019 20:02:39
410 forum posts

If a Bat Safe is a lined bag with handles, I greatly prefer them to ammo boxes. There’s a good reason why the latter are always measured in metric. It’s because they’re disappointingly small and I thought not a particularly sympathetic environment for several hundred pounds’ worth of LiPos.

BTC

Doc Marten14/10/2019 20:13:19
390 forum posts
4 photos

Not the old 'without holes it'll become a bomb' warnings again. An ammo box will contain a burning lipo without any ventilation.

Peter Miller14/10/2019 21:02:04
10331 forum posts
1231 photos
10 articles
Posted by Doc Marten on 14/10/2019 20:13:19:

Not the old 'without holes it'll become a bomb' warnings again. An ammo box will contain a burning lipo without any ventilation.

Yes, but how about several Lipos?

Doc Marten14/10/2019 21:25:24
390 forum posts
4 photos
Posted by Peter Miller on 14/10/2019 21:02:04:

Yes, but how about several Lipos?

I reckon if a load went up all together it may force the lid or seal but with explosive force?

No, I doubt it very much.

Stuart Z14/10/2019 21:27:40
382 forum posts

Looking at the You Tube demo, it looks that the Battsafe will also filter some of the smoke emitting from a Lipo fire. I think that is a key feature of the Battsafe,

I don’t have the documents that came with my Battsafe but the FAQ’s are on the link.

https://www.bat-safe.com/faq

Chris Berry14/10/2019 21:56:46
234 forum posts
1 photos

Lutterworth Army Surplus Stupphed. Open Thursday-Sunday.

Take the seal off the lid and drill some holes in the top. Store the lipos in a lipo bag inside the box, job done.

Edited By Chris Berry on 14/10/2019 21:58:00

Bob Cotsford14/10/2019 23:13:06
8068 forum posts
444 photos

If you really want to go to town with your ammo box, remove the seal and line it with 2mm self-adhesive vynil off e-bay.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us