Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Mass Build Bookshelf: F-86 Sabre

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John H. Rood16/10/2019 01:46:30
215 forum posts
313 photos

My parents met at North American Aviation's Los Angeles Division in the early 1950s and worked in the engineering effort on the F-86D and F-100A programs. My mom was an engineer on the yaw damper fix for the F-100A, a very serious concern at NAA in the wake of famed Pearl Harbor hero and NAA test pilot George Welch's death during a demonstration flight in an F-100A.

She left NAA in 1956 to have five more Rood kids in addition to my sister and I; but my dad stayed on through the X-15, F-108, B-70, SST, B-1 and many more design & development programs at NAA.

Believe it or not, in some respects North American Aviation at Inglewood was a relatively "small" shop back then; my father gave me this book some years ago as a fascinating insiders look at some of the goings-on there. 2

Mark Kettle 116/10/2019 09:20:09
2433 forum posts
1420 photos

I'd like to add this magazine to your book shelf John.

THE STORIES BEHIND THE WORLD'S GREATEST AIRCRAFT

20191007_213320 (1).jpg

If you want to order the above magazine here's a link:

preview and order magazine

ISSUU link to preview

Mark Kettle 105/11/2019 23:51:09
2433 forum posts
1420 photos

Picture showing the Fisherman's Bend production line in 1954, in the line is Avon-engined CAC Sabre 30, notice the deeper engine intake.

1954 Fishermans Bend production line

I'm reading up on the Avon powered Sabre's like Steve Houghton's build, I'm getting the info from this magazine below.

20191007_213320 (1).jpg

John H. Rood11/11/2019 18:42:05
215 forum posts
313 photos

Seldom is an aviation-minded book a highly-regarded thing by "real" writers and critics. Seldom is a respected writer ALSO a pilot that flew F-86 Sabres in combat over "MiG Alley" in 1952.

1.jpg

THE HUNTERS has both of these exceptional traits. USAF fighter pilot James Horowitz wrote his first novel, this one, THE HUNTERS, while flying F-86's in Korea; it was published under his literary name James Salter to what's become enduring praise.  Here is the author, in the cockpit, during the war:

5.jpg

In the literary world, Salter went on to wide recognition as one of the truly great American novelists.  He also wrote a few screenplays for Hollywood.  On his passing at age 90, his first novel THE HUNTERS was remembered near and far. For example, The Paris Review, and The Guardian.

THE HUNTERS eventually got the Hollywood treatment, Robert Mitchum and all.  Not a bad movie according to most critics, and to this day the aerial cinematography is shimmering and I'd go out on a limb to say that the novel and the movie are a natural for most any PSS F-86 Sabre 2020 Mass Build enthusiast.

2.jpg

3.jpg

And here's an earlier version than my paperback, this one's hardcover -- and gotta love its jacket:

4.jpg

Edited By John H. Rood on 11/11/2019 18:53:43

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us