Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Altitude announcements

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tim Kearsley16/10/2019 09:10:05
612 forum posts
3 photos

I'm trying to get my Taranis X9D+, running OpenTx 2.2.4, to announce the altitude of a sailplane at every 100 feet. I've set up a logical switch using the absolute delta function, with a special function to play the telemetry value when the logical switch "fires". It works.... kind of! The trouble is, my OCD nature would really like the announcements at the exact 100 foot intervals, e.g. at 100 ft, 200 ft, 300 ft etc. But it is happening at, say, 103 ft, 203 ft, 303 ft.... you get the drift.

Is there any way of forcing the announcements to be at the exact bounday? Or am I entering the realm of LUA scripts, with which so far I've not experimented. Or perhaps I should just curb my OCD tendency!

Thanks,

Tim.

Ron Gray16/10/2019 09:27:39
1550 forum posts
367 photos

When you get the announcement the ‘plane is probably no longer at that altitude anyway! If it’s the announcement that annoys you you could always change the announcements (record your own) so that instead of playing the value it plays the track eg 100 feet. So the logic would be if the value is >100<200 play track “100 feet”.

Tim Kearsley16/10/2019 12:59:18
612 forum posts
3 photos

It's a good point you make Ron. I probably wouldn't go to the trouble of recording my own audio to be honest. I just wondered if there was some way to ensure that the altimeter was recording 0 at the time the logical switch first fired, as the delta function should ensure the switch fires at every 100 subsequently. I guess it's all a bit academic really as the altimeter is probably accurate to a few feet at best.

Tim.

Frank Skilbeck16/10/2019 13:21:00
4515 forum posts
101 photos

What is probably happening is that the altitude is updated on a cycle not a continuous analogue signal, so your plane may be at 99ft on one cycle and 103ft on the next, then the logic switch asks the Tx to read out the altitude it's moved onto the next cycle. Note on my MPX system which has the option to do interval readouts it exhibits exactly the same behavior.

So short of adopting Ron's forcing it to say 100ft I don't think there is a lot you can do.

Tim Kearsley16/10/2019 13:38:47
612 forum posts
3 photos

Yes, I suspect you've hit the nail on the head there Frank. At the end of the day, the requirement to have altitude updates is being met. I was just being pernickety!

Tim.

Bob Cotsford16/10/2019 13:46:11
8063 forum posts
444 photos

Just out of interest Tim, how did you configure this function? For my EP models I just use a simple readout every 10 secs or so if the altitude exceeeds 390' but it might be educational to compare visual clues for different model sizes at different heights.

Tim Kearsley16/10/2019 13:58:02
612 forum posts
3 photos

I set up a logical switch using the |d|>x function Bob, with the altitude telemetry value as the "x" and the interval (the "d" value) set to 100. Then a special function announces the altitude with a "Play value" command every time the switch fires.

Tim.

Bob Cotsford16/10/2019 14:42:24
8063 forum posts
444 photos

Simple as that? I've only ever used a<x or a>x, I need to be more adventurous!

Torsten Spitzner16/10/2019 16:14:31
28 forum posts
17 photos

I had a similar issue. I wanted the lady in my horus to announce the time that i was past my set timer every 20 seconds. Thus: plus 20 seconds, plus 40 seconds etc.

But the time she read out did not match 20 seconds.

I fixed that by setting the value in my logical switches to 00:00:19. In other words, at 19 second intervals.

That solved the issue and she now reads out the values every 20 seconds.

Perhaps try setting your value at every 97 feet?..

Andy4816/10/2019 16:27:59
1393 forum posts
1 photos

First of all which variometer are you using, the normal precision one which is accurate to 3 feet, or the high precision one which is accurate to a foot according to the specs, but that could be plus or minus a foot or 3 feett.

Then you have to consider the delays in the system.

Easier, and probably just as accurate to curb your OCD tendancies.

If one us using it for training purposes, then a simpler system would be to set several text markers to announce the height, say, over 250 feet every 50 feet. i.e. "You are now above 250 feet." Its surprising how few can judge what 400 feet looks like.

Tim Kearsley16/10/2019 16:37:28
612 forum posts
3 photos

Thanks Torsten, I hadn't considered that as a possibility.

Andy, I'm using the variometer built into the G-RX8 receiver. The reason I've got these announcements set up at all is because the Rx is installed in a 3.7 metre span sailplane. This is still perfectly visible and controllable at quite a decent altitude, so I thought it would be useful to know as each 100 feet went by. But you're quite right, I must just ignore the "untidiness" of it and be thankful for the flexibility of OpenTx to allow me to do it at all!

Tim.

Andy4817/10/2019 10:34:36
1393 forum posts
1 photos

The G-RX8 has the high precision variometer, so height is accurate to about 2 feet.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us