Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Lysander for Kit Scale at the 2020 BMFA Scale Indoor RC Nats

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andy Sephton 117/10/2019 17:00:04
153 forum posts
392 photos

The BMFA Scale Indoor RC nationals have been running now for about 5 years. Next years competition will be over a weekend with the Saturday reserved for the RC flying and Suday for FF. As well as the established Scale and Flying Only competitions, two new competitions have been introduced: an air race and Kit Scale. To support the latter, I've decided to build an Easy Built 48" Lysander and convert it from rubber to electric power.

The Rules have not yet been published, but the general feeling is that they will be a combination of the existing Scale Indoor Kit Scale FF Rules and Scale Indoor RC Flying Rules. So, I'm planning on a maximum model weight of 300gm, a maximum wing loading of 15 gm/sqDM, and a model that will be judged to the kit plan with modifications allowed for the power plant and control system. The flight will require the model to take off, fly a figure of eight, fly a descending circle, fly one other option and carry out a circuit to land.

This model is on the large side, but if I can keep the weight down, I believe I'll get it to fly in the space available ... hopefully!

This is what I found in the box:

img_0811.jpeg

The model appears to be based on the Lysander prototype, so I'll be using that as a basic for the model's finish. Here's a picture of the subject aircraft:

img_0812.jpeg

And here's one I built earlier - the 36" Easy Built Lysander for rubber power:

img_0816.jpeg

Andy Sephton 117/10/2019 17:06:06
153 forum posts
392 photos

The Scale Indoor RC event will be held on Saturday 18th April 2020 at Wolverhampton University Sports Centre, Gorway Rd, Walsall WS1 3BD.

The Scale Indoor FF Nationals will be held at the same venue the following day.

Spectators will be welcome.

Danny Fenton18/10/2019 23:48:44
9205 forum posts
4053 photos

Excellent Andy, should be great to follow along with your Lizzie.

The new kit scale class is already creating a stir on the FB page. promises to be very popular.

I am doing kit scale with a VMC LeVier Cosmic Wind, and it will also be in the pylon race at lunchtime

Cheers

Danny

Martyn K20/10/2019 22:08:08
4980 forum posts
3624 photos

Watching this one. I will be building the 36" span version that Andy built previously. I also need a Goodyear racer for the air race.. That sounds like fun.

Martyn

Andy Sephton 131/10/2019 10:27:48
153 forum posts
392 photos

I've been getting on with the model - the latest position is on the Facebook "Scale Indoor R/C - UK" site. SO it's time for a catch-up here.

The first decision I have to make is how to modify the model to fit the R/C gear. The 36" model flew quite nicely as a free flight model, so I'm content that this one will be controllable with rudder/elevator/engine control only. So I started the build with the fuselage and empennage to allow trial fitting of the RC gear. My fuselage technique is to build the two sides on top of each other, using jig pieces from scrap wood that is twice the thickness of the fuselage wood. The sides are then removed from the plan, the edges sanded to match, then they're split, using appropriate caution, with a razor blade. The following pic shows the start of the process:

img_0830.jpeg

While the fuselage sides dried, the empennage was layed down, again using scrap jig pieces to hold the parts in place. The hinge line I'll be using will match the full size aircraft and not the LE as used on the kit model. Accordingly, I'll be adding wood to reinforce the hinge points.

img_0857.jpeg

When the fuselage sides had been split, they were joined using engineers squares to hold them square as the glue dried. The weighted sanding blocks are to hold the lower spacers and fuselage sides onto the plan

img_0872.jpeg

The following two pics show the empennage with new hinge line marked and extra wood added for the hinges and control horns.

img_0877.jpeg

img_0878.jpeg

Martyn K31/10/2019 16:56:46
4980 forum posts
3624 photos

Looking very tiday Andy

I am also building the 36" span version of the same kit. Nowhere near as advanced as Andy's though. I'll start my own blog shortly

Martyn

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
CML
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us