Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Receiver question

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
fly boy318/10/2019 22:28:01
3529 forum posts
18 photos

Just a thought. I need to replace an Xc with another of a different make. 35Mhz. Can I be sure all servos will move in same direction as with the original reciever. Is the signal to the servo just a voltage ? Thanks

Geoff Sleath18/10/2019 22:43:39
3421 forum posts
295 photos

The receiver is just a conduit from the transmitter to the servos. All other things being equal, changing it won't affect anything else. However check before you fly and certainly check if you change a servo, they can definitely travel in a different direction.

Geoff

fly boy319/10/2019 18:00:56
3529 forum posts
18 photos

Thanks for the info. Geoff, I thought as much. As an extra question, does the Xc just put a voltage on the servo, or is the signal a bit more complicated ? Cheers

Chris Bott - Moderator19/10/2019 19:16:39
6667 forum posts
1382 photos
1 articles

FB the answer is that it's not just a voltage no. It's a regular series of electrical pulses. The duration of the pulse tells the servo which position to go to. For most systems, if the pulses keep coming, each having a duration of 1.5uS then the servo will be centred. If the pulses move towards 1uS long then the servo will go one way and if they move towards 2uS then the servo will go the other way.

Assuming that you're using the same 35mHz transmitter then it's the Tx that sets the pulse lengths, so the servo should go the same way even if you change Rx.

I guess there's a possibility that a Rx with digital signal processing might change the direction, but even then I'd doubt it.

Allan Bennett19/10/2019 20:59:47
1555 forum posts
39 photos

I don't know what your experience is in RC, but just to add to CB's response above, the Rx (receiver) does send a constant voltage to the servo via its red and black wires in the 3-wire connecting cable. This provides power for the servo motor and the little electronics bits inside the servo that decode the signal and tell its motor what to do. The signal itself is transmitted to the servo via the third, white or yellow, wire in the 3-wire cable, and is as explained by CB.

fly boy320/10/2019 17:22:52
3529 forum posts
18 photos

Thanks Chris and Allan for the info,quite interesting indeed. Hi Allan, I have very many years of flying in rc Sometimes I get a thought in my mind,and Ineed an explanation if possible lol. Thanks.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us