By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

What are your three favourite war movies?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martin McIntosh20/10/2019 20:27:08
2954 forum posts
1086 photos

I`ll bet that you all watch The Dam Busters and BoB every time that they are repeated. I must admit to doing this and am now word perfect.

Zulu probably takes the top slot for me, closely followed by Das Boot.

Paul Marsh20/10/2019 20:41:25
3727 forum posts
1057 photos

Das Boot is also there, Sounds great on a multi channel home cinema system, as you can hear everything, for example after the call to dive and you can hear the water dripping on the hot diesels , fizzing away on the left and right rear speakers. that realistic, you can almost feel what it's like to be depth charged. Scary.

Tom Sharp 220/10/2019 20:45:23
3554 forum posts
18 photos

Mention was made of Donald Sutherland.

He was a villain in 'The Eagle has Landed', where Micheal Caine tried to assassinate Churchill.

At the end of the film we were treated to a 1950s Sikorsky Dragonfly Helicopter doing a clifftop rescue.

The worst John Wayne war film was 'The Fighting CBs' where an American construction battalion took on the might of the Japanese Imperial Forces.

I remember on the Morecambe and Wise show, Ernie said he was going to see the WW1 war film 'The Blue Max'. To which Eric replied Blue macks' and kinky boots.

If Marilyn Munroe was still alive today she would be 93.

Forgive my ramblings I am watching Millionaire at the present.

Trevor Crook20/10/2019 21:10:36
868 forum posts
65 photos

BoB

Dambusters

12 o'clock High

I saw some of the Dambusters film on the box the other day, and would love to know more about how they filmed it. Lots of shots of a few Lancs at low level turning steeply, which appeared to be carrying Upkeeps.

Peter Miller20/10/2019 21:11:23
10265 forum posts
1226 photos
10 articles

Funny no one has mentioned "the Enemy Below"

THis is a very short (93 minutes) but a very clever film with very little bloodshed at all and it leaves one with a good feeling but a lot of tension

It was on TV a few days ago and I am sure it will be back. Worth watching as the tension really builds.

Robert Mitchum and Curt Jurgens star in it. and believe it or not it leaves one feeling quite good. It dates from 1953

Kelly20/10/2019 21:15:34
1240 forum posts
191 photos

Das Boot

White Tiger (The Tank)

Angels one five

Edited By Kelly on 20/10/2019 21:16:42

Phil 920/10/2019 21:19:26
4284 forum posts
237 photos

you cant beat a bridge too far

not a movie but band of brothers needs a mention

I really liked "Lone Survivor" as one not already mentioned

Jon - Laser Engines20/10/2019 23:51:09
4836 forum posts
180 photos

I cant come up with only 3.

battle of britain, dambusters, tora, original dunkirk, memphis belle (even though some of it is a little weak), ice cold in alex..

Also, sink the bismark and in which we serve should get a mention. Band of brothers/the pacific series are excellent as well.

As a side note, track down your local cex shop (careful when you say that out loud) and have a sift through their used dvd section. You can get dvd movies for around 50p and i struck gold with the complete digitally remastered 'the world at war' series for a tenner which i thought was rather good

Andy Meade21/10/2019 09:05:19
2647 forum posts
679 photos

For me :

Saving Private Ryan

Platoon

Enemy at the Gates

Braddock, VC21/10/2019 10:12:31
1633 forum posts
82 photos

Kelly's Heroes, Das Boot and a toss up between the original All Quiet on the Western Front and Mary Ure in Where Eagles Dare....

Andy Blackburn21/10/2019 10:46:38
509 forum posts
487 photos
1 articles

Where Eagles Dare (because it's a rip-roaring yarn)

Kelly's Heroes ("Mulligan!!"..."Did you lose my aerial photographs?"...)

Saving Private Ryan (no explanation necessary)

Martin Dilly 121/10/2019 11:20:17
62 forum posts
13 photos

12 O'Clock High. (Did you know there was a TV series based on the film that ran for three years in the 1960s in the United States? Available on YouTube; lots of B&W B-17 footage, some of which looks as if it was shot in Britain. Scripts sometimes a bit naff.)

The Burmese Harp. Kon Ichikawa's film of a sole Japanese soldier at the end of the war who stays on, dressed as a monk, to bury forgotten soldiers.

The Victors by Carl Foreman. It follows a US platoon across Europe and avoids the usual US blood-and-glory line. Culmination is the execution for desertion of a US soldier (based on the real-life one of Eddie Slovik), set in a vast snow-covered field in France, with Frank Sinatra 's Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas playing over. The film probably didn't go down too well with the US right.

The original Memphis Belle by William Wyler, a documentary mostly shot at Bassingbourn in 1943. The much later fictionalised film was based on this.

Peter Miller21/10/2019 11:42:50
10265 forum posts
1226 photos
10 articles

Yes, the original "Memphis Belle" was good.

The later one is totally wrong in so many ways.

Some of the incidents featured in that travesty did happen but at different times to different aircraft.

It is no wonnder that the original crew refused to allow their names to be used on that film.

Fun Flyer21/10/2019 14:39:02
288 forum posts
37 photos
Posted by Cuban8 on 20/10/2019 14:58:43:

Tried to watch the recent Catch 22 series on TV, gave up after two episodes. Same thing with the book, very hard going. Not my cup of tea, I'm afraid.

+1

Paul Marsh21/10/2019 21:11:08
3727 forum posts
1057 photos

There's a new war film coming out. "Midway".

...directed by Roland Emmerichfrown

Philip Williams 223/10/2019 22:04:07
2 forum posts

Well - for drama its got to be 'Zulu', that final fight with them all in the revetment sends the hair up at the back of your neck!

For flying - the 'Dambusters', and its worth noting that the two pilots who flew the Lancs for the filming were Polish Flight Sergeant pilots. Richard Todd was taught to handle a Lanc on take off almost up to unstick, to get authentic take off shots. Some film. Makes you wonder what Peter Blake will do with the story......

For drama - Das Boot

For humour - 'Don't Look Now, One Of Our planes Is Missing' Little film with the late Terry Thomas paying a straight role as an RAF B17 captain of a crew shot down over Paris and the story is their escape from the Germans with the help of the French. Utterly brilliant, seems to have disappeared without trace.

Nitro Flyer23/10/2019 23:40:52
8 forum posts

I dont watch war movies as both world wars where started by the banking system.

Tom Sharp 224/10/2019 00:35:04
3554 forum posts
18 photos

Jim Dale in the film of Spike Milligan's book 'Hitler my part in his Downfall'

David Davis24/10/2019 07:57:17
3439 forum posts
613 photos
  1. Stanley Kubrick's "Paths of Glory" a story of a French battalion's failure to take a German strongpoint in the First World War and it's consequences. Kirk Douglas stars as Colonel Dax.
  2. "Enemy at the Gates." Ignore that bit at the beginning where soldiers are sent into action without rifles and are shot by machine guns when they ran away, that's mostly Western propaganda.
  3. "Das Boot."

"The Dambusters" is also a good film apart from the bit at the start where all of guy Gibson's crew voluteered to fly with him on a new secret mission. in reality only one member of his old crew went with him. At the initial showing of the film, Richard Todd who played the role of Guy Gibson, wore his decorations on his evening tails. He had been a parachutist in WW2 and had been with the force that reinforced the glider-bourne troops who had captured Pegasus Bridge.

I saw an excellent film in the Nineties about the Battle of Midway but can find no reference to it now. Survivors of the battle were interviewed.

Roland F. Maxwell's film "Gettysburgh" is also well worth watching.

Finally I have recently seen a number of German-made short films on YouTube depicting small scale infantry actions. They appear to be pretty realistic to me, though I've no experience of military combat, sounds of bullets hitting flesh etc. I'm glad I'm too old to be a soldier that's for sure.

Edited By David Davis on 24/10/2019 07:58:28

Edited By David Davis on 24/10/2019 08:23:39

Peter Miller24/10/2019 08:18:10
10265 forum posts
1226 photos
10 articles
Posted by Nitro Flyer on 23/10/2019 23:40:52:

I dont watch war movies as both world wars where started by the banking system.

I presume that as the banks afre so guilty you don't use banks!!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us