All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
leccyflyer30/11/2019 20:14:15
1349 forum posts
314 photos
Posted by Michael Adams 3 on 30/11/2019 19:02:42:

Sorry, or am I wrong.

Mike.

Yes you are wrong. I used to be Membership Secretary for a moderately sized club - 80-120 members, BMFA affiliated. Thought the sticker scheme made the renewals reasonably straightforward there was still a fair bit of work to do and quite time consuming.

y subsequent experience, as a Country Member using the Membership portal has been that it is very simple to use and well within the capabilites of anyone who could log onto this website to read this thread.. I presume that there is some provision made for the minority of members who don;t have an email address.

Personally I rather like the idea of the Membership Portal as it is inline with the basic premise that the pilot is responsible for every flight, for his/her own models and for their conduct in the hobby. That makes perfect sense as far as I can see.

Nigel Heather01/12/2019 09:06:05
239 forum posts
7 photos

Going to do the BMFA competency test later today. Quick question for anyone that has done it ....

”Are the question based on the vanilla CAA regulations, or the modified ones to include BMFA exemptions”

For example “How high can you fly a 6.5kg fixed wing powered aircraft”

CAA - 400 feet or 120 metres above terrain

BMFA - you can fly above 400 feet but there is no maximum height specified

I suspect it will be obvious from the answer options but thought it useful to ask first.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited By Nigel Heather on 01/12/2019 09:06:59

Edited By Nigel Heather on 01/12/2019 09:25:46

Andy Symons - BMFA01/12/2019 09:38:40
611 forum posts
1 photos

Based on the ANO but nods to the possibility of exemptions and extra permissions.

Very easy test though.

Lima Hotel Foxtrot01/12/2019 09:49:20
378 forum posts

It is interesting to see how different clubs are taking this on board.

I am in two clubs, with wildly differing approaches...

Club 1 insists that the duty man must check any members without an A for proof of competency before they fly. Mind you, this basically means that all club ID will have to be checked on the field to see who has an A, and nobody is allowed to fly solo without an A anyway. Thus: No numbers, no fly. This is the club that will only let you fly if your TX/RX are the same brand. They sure do love some pettifogging faffing around in that club.

Club 2 is working on the basis that it is the individual flyers responsibility (club sec spoke to BMFA re this, so it's gold), the club has is not there to police on behalf of the CAA, and that if you can take-off, fly a circuit and land without being obviously dangerous go and fly.

Guess which field I go to more often...

Edited By Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 01/12/2019 09:53:46

Cuban801/12/2019 10:11:48
2867 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Richard Acland on 30/11/2019 17:28:31:

It would appear that club membership renewal is now done via the club portal. I have always in the past renewed club membership using the stick on label method. it would appear that this method will no longer be available. I have always found the old method pretty quick and foolproof. If it aint broke why fix it.

I used the stickers method for years. Yes, it worked OK but with over a hundred members to deal with the Portal is so much easier, flexible and convenient. I loathe change for the sake of it as I've said in the past, but I'm not sorry to see the end of the paper based BMFA renewals and other admin stuff.

My club's AGM tomorrow.................It'll either be chaos, or deserted..........can't be sure which at the moment.wink

LHF..........Pettifogging, what a great word, must remember to use it more often.laugh

Edited By Cuban8 on 01/12/2019 10:18:50

Peter Christy01/12/2019 10:27:43
1724 forum posts

Posted by Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 01/12/2019 09:49:20:

This is the club that will only let you fly if your TX/RX are the same brand. They sure do love some pettifogging faffing around in that club.

Heaven knows what they'd do if I turned up with some of my home-made gear, then!

wink

--

Pete

ken anderson.01/12/2019 10:35:28
8556 forum posts
776 photos

too late now but I wouldn't be broadcasting that the on line test is very easy etc,maybe when the powers to be have a look at some feedback they will be thinking "maybe" we need to change the format/toughen it up...roll on this time next year when all of this is forgot about (probably)…

ken anderson...ne..1..... forgot dept.

Martin Harris01/12/2019 11:17:27
9168 forum posts
229 photos

Hopefully, the reason that it is easy is because the majority of model flyers are already sufficiently knowledgeable about their responsibilities and legal requirements!

Gary Manuel01/12/2019 11:35:52
2191 forum posts
1540 photos
Posted by ken anderson. on 01/12/2019 10:35:28:

too late now but I wouldn't be broadcasting that the on line test is very easy etc,maybe when the powers to be have a look at some feedback they will be thinking "maybe" we need to change the format/toughen it up...roll on this time next year when all of this is forgot about (probably)…

I don't think so.

It is deliberately easy because it's deliberately common sense based. If you have common sense and a basic understanding of the regulations, you WILL pass. That's all they are interested in.

Richard Acland01/12/2019 11:56:43
95 forum posts
31 photos
Posted by Cuban8 on 01/12/2019 10:11:48:
Posted by Richard Acland on 30/11/2019 17:28:31:

It would appear that club membership renewal is now done via the club portal. I have always in the past renewed club membership using the stick on label method. it would appear that this method will no longer be available. I have always found the old method pretty quick and foolproof. If it aint broke why fix it.

I used the stickers method for years. Yes, it worked OK but with over a hundred members to deal with the Portal is so much easier, flexible and convenient. I loathe change for the sake of it as I've said in the past, but I'm not sorry to see the end of the paper based BMFA renewals and other admin stuff.

My club's AGM tomorrow.................It'll either be chaos, or deserted..........can't be sure which at the moment.wink

How do we get our insurance certificates and membership cards. I hope that they do not expect me to use my paper and ink to print off everyones paperwork. If it is up to each individual how does it work for our three members that do not have a computer.

LHF..........Pettifogging, what a great word, must remember to use it more often.laugh

Edited By Cuban8 on 01/12/2019 10:18:50

Martin Harris01/12/2019 12:32:16
9168 forum posts
229 photos
Posted by Richard Acland on 01/12/2019 11:56:43:

How do we get our insurance certificates and membership cards. I hope that they do not expect me to use my paper and ink to print off everyones paperwork. If it is up to each individual how does it work for our three members that do not have a computer.

Like it or not, the world is moving on and from being a minority interest 20 years ago, internet access is now an integral part of life and those who choose not to get access are in a tiny minority. Even without owning computers or smartphones, most people will have relatives or friends who would hopefully download and print off anything necessary.

Failing this, there is also the option of ordering a printed card for the price of a pint...

Nigel Heather01/12/2019 13:21:52
239 forum posts
7 photos

The way I read it, the primary purpose of the test is not to confirm your competence, but to serve as evidence that you are aware of the rules and therefore, have no defence if you are caught doing something wrong.

Cheers,

Nigel

Nigel Heather01/12/2019 13:21:54
239 forum posts
7 photos

The way I read it, the primary purpose of the test is not to confirm your competence, but to serve as evidence that you are aware of the rules and therefore, have no defence if you are caught doing something wrong.

Cheers,

Nigel

Cuban801/12/2019 14:19:33
2867 forum posts
1 photos

Re the dropping of hard copy insurance certs and BMFA membership cards - from 100 members I've not had one single request for hard copy of either and I know many of our members are active in the comp scene and go to fly-ins etc. so they're managing OK.

I have all my own details on my phone - if anyone did want a printout of their stuff from the Portal it's hardly an onerous task and TBH the cost to the club is minute compared to posting out all the old bumph that for most people just got chucked to the back of the work bench or in the drawer and forgotten about.

AndyD01/12/2019 14:44:27
719 forum posts
503 photos

tried login in to pay the BMFA and pay but it wont accept my password,it didn't work last year and still wont work now,as last year ive tried resetting pass word which says its done but still wont accept it.does this mean I don't have to pay.

Martin Harris01/12/2019 14:47:13
9168 forum posts
229 photos

I think it means you need to call their office.

Perhaps they have the wrong email address on file?

Cuban801/12/2019 14:56:10
2867 forum posts
1 photos

According to the Drone Code................."Keep the right distance from people and property. People and properties – 150ft (50m)"

So, this effectively precludes any testing of a >250g helicopter in your garden? (unless you have a huge garden). Would it be OK to hover the machine below the level of your boundary fence, so you're not directly within 50M of your neighbour's house?

AndyD01/12/2019 15:00:47
719 forum posts
503 photos
Posted by Martin Harris on 01/12/2019 14:47:13:

I think it means you need to call their office.

Perhaps they have the wrong email address on file?

they send me emails so it cant be that plus I went through all this last year and ended up doing it through our club which they trying to stop,

Martin Harris01/12/2019 15:04:35
9168 forum posts
229 photos
Posted by Cuban8 on 01/12/2019 14:56:10:

According to the Drone Code................."Keep the right distance from people and property. People and properties – 150ft (50m)"

So, this effectively precludes any testing of a >250g helicopter in your garden? (unless you have a huge garden). Would it be OK to hover the machine below the level of your boundary fence, so you're not directly within 50M of your neighbour's house?

If you cover the garden with a net...yes!

Cuban801/12/2019 15:05:31
2867 forum posts
1 photos

Cheers Martin.............laugh

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
CADMA
Wings & Wheels 2019
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us