Forum sponsored by CML

The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
BackinBlack20/12/2019 16:09:40
108 forum posts
1 photos

Peter,

Same in my Club, no fuss. Everyone just got on with renewing subs and paying their £9 if also paying BMFA via the club.

Here it seems that some are seeking out problems that don't exist.

I'm sure that for the majority of us flying will carry on as normal with no particular worries about where to put numbers etc....

Edited By BackinBlack on 20/12/2019 16:11:32

Martin Harris20/12/2019 22:15:09
9084 forum posts
224 photos

...and at our AGM too.

We outlined the requirements, answered a few questions, proposed a rule that all members must comply with any current model related legislation, which was carried unanimously, and the renewals simply proceeded as normal at the end of the meeting.

cymaz21/12/2019 05:54:09
8907 forum posts
1179 photos

+1

My club is paying the £9 for each club member...for this year only. We have the funds saved so it was decided to return some money to individuals

Keith Evans 321/12/2019 09:07:21
381 forum posts
81 photos

Apologies if this has already been covered .My question is ,If I have obtained my operator I.D. via the C.A.A.and if I were to try for an A certificate next year ,would I still be required to answer any questions after I have completed the flying part of the test ?

PeterF21/12/2019 09:16:43
471 forum posts
658 photos

Yes because the questions also cover issues such as safe operation of model aircraft which you still need to demonstrate and are nothing to do with flying legislation.

Engine Doctor21/12/2019 11:16:13
2383 forum posts
29 photos
Posted by Keith Evans 3 on 21/12/2019 09:07:21:

Apologies if this has already been covered .My question is ,If I have obtained my operator I.D. via the C.A.A.and if I were to try for an A certificate next year ,would I still be required to answer any questions after I have completed the flying part of the test

Yes you will . The Competency test will not count towards your BMFA achievement scheme test and the Examiner will still be required to ask you questions covering a wider range of subjects than the CAA test.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 21/12/2019 11:17:30

alex nicol21/12/2019 11:43:53
338 forum posts
15 photos

Let say first of all I don't mean to offend and fully appreciate the time and effort our organisations have put into getting this to where it is but does anybody else feel this subject has been done to death and is becoming as tiresome as B@#%it

Tim Kearsley21/12/2019 12:02:27
624 forum posts
3 photos
Posted by alex nicol on 21/12/2019 11:43:53:

Let say first of all I don't mean to offend and fully appreciate the time and effort our organisations have put into getting this to where it is but does anybody else feel this subject has been done to death and is becoming as tiresome as B@#%it

After 59 pages I completely agree Alex, but I guess we don't have to read it if we don't want to do we?

Tim.

Dickw21/12/2019 12:10:41
557 forum posts
79 photos

For those of us who have been following this since the start - probably yes.

BUT - some people are still coming to this for the first time so there will still be questions to be answered.

AND - we have yet to see what will happen in the summer with possible new legislation.

Dick

Nigel Heather02/01/2020 07:16:38
231 forum posts
7 photos

Out of interest just had a quick search on google, filtered to the last month. Clearly there are plenty of drone pilots who are unaware of the laws or simply don’t care.

Not only are these flight videos posted publicly with the operator probably traceable through their youtube account but quite often they show themselves in the video.

One notable one shows a 20 minute flight along the Thames, getting right up close to the London Eye and Tower Bridge.

Cheers,

Nigel

Old Geezer02/01/2020 07:57:55
658 forum posts

Which I suppose confirms the necessity for the legislation AND confirms our suspicions that the there is an entirely different mind set to be found in a self-promoting minority of drone flyers. Hopefully the "Authorities" will take the time and trouble to identify such antisocial individuals and in the fullness of time visit condign punishment on them - if for no other reason than "Pour encourager Les Autres"!

I don't want to try to teach the BMFA P/R dept. their job, but whenever such activities of the droners come to light, and particularly to court, there is an open goal for a press release to be fired off contrasting the safe and legal behaviour of the generality of model plane flyers over so many years and the antisocial behaviour of a minority of droners which resulted in the restrictions that have been visited on the godly and the ungodly together!

Edited By Old Geezer on 02/01/2020 08:00:02

John Stainforth02/01/2020 23:56:46
323 forum posts
39 photos

There's some bad news from America today. The FAA are proposing some much tougher rules on model and drone flying there. Why is this relevant to us? Because we end up following very similar rules, with a time lag.

Martin_K03/01/2020 09:00:03
128 forum posts

There is a more direct reason why USA regulation impacts UK consumers. The much larger value of the US market means manufactures are likely to develop their products to meet US standards.

Frank Skilbeck03/01/2020 09:29:54
4570 forum posts
101 photos
Posted by Martin_K on 03/01/2020 09:00:03:

There is a more direct reason why USA regulation impacts UK consumers. The much larger value of the US market means manufactures are likely to develop their products to meet US standards.

Or EU standards, don't forget we have different standards for 2.4 ghz RC systems. And there are many other examples of where EU standards differ from US standards.

Martin_K03/01/2020 10:03:59
128 forum posts

Frank, I agree that different versions of product already exist for the US and EU markets. Until we see the final version of the proposals for Remote ID in the US I am speculating. The FAA do seem to be thinking of Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems however, i.e. the transmitter / receiver / aircraft as a complete package. If changes to radios become required (identifying location of control station as well as aircraft) we will have moved beyond just different firmware for receivers.

Then there is the FAA concept of tamper proof remote ID hardware. There was a comment on the forum recently about putting the Electronics back into RCM&E. How topical.

Dai Fledermaus03/01/2020 10:41:21
1041 forum posts
52 photos

Never in the field of model flying has so much been written by so many about so little. wink

Edited By Dai Fledermaus on 03/01/2020 10:42:15

Trevor03/01/2020 11:33:58
405 forum posts
57 photos
Posted by Dai Fledermaus on 03/01/2020 10:41:21:
Never in the field of model flying has so much been written by so many about so little.

Oh I don’t know. Maybe it’s time for another Mode1 vs. mode 2 debate, or I.c. Vs. Electric, or BEC vs. Battery. . .devil

Jason-I04/01/2020 12:00:54
290 forum posts
37 photos

Has there been a definitive ruling on the validity of BMFA insurance with respect to not having registered as an operator yet? Just weighing up my membership renewal options.

Last advice I saw was that insurance may be invalid, but need to know for certain one way or the other.

Gary Manuel04/01/2020 12:14:54
2058 forum posts
1515 photos
Posted by Jason-I on 04/01/2020 12:00:54:

Has there been a definitive ruling on the validity of BMFA insurance with respect to not having registered as an operator yet? Just weighing up my membership renewal options.

Last advice I saw was that insurance may be invalid, but need to know for certain one way or the other.

This is the final BMFA wording from HERE:

Insurance cover can only be fully assured for ‘lawful activities’ and if you do not comply (if required by law) then you will be operating unlawfully, and your insurance cover could be in question in the event of a claim. It is also important to note that any legal costs and/or punitive financial sanctions incurred by an individual member under criminal law as a result of non-compliance will be outside the scope of cover.

The BMFA’s affiliated clubs will remain fully protected by the BMFA’s insurance in the event of a claim made against them, should individual members be found to be non-compliant.

Martin_K04/01/2020 12:27:21
128 forum posts

Additionally, from the BMFA Insurance web page, 6th bullet point;

"the insurance provides cover worldwide for lawful recognised activity"

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
CADMA
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us