Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mike T21/02/2020 16:45:33
444 forum posts
34 photos

Labels - how hard has it got to be? Printed off a list of my ID on bog standard A4, 25mm long, 3.2mm high. Cut them out with a scissors and sellotape to the plane! By the time I'm finished the entire exercise will have cost less than a quid.

Also re police interest, a retired copper friend of mine says if he knows anything about the force, they'll be competing amongst themselves to see who can chalk up the first pinch and £1000 fine.

So when the local gauleiter struts up to you and demands 'papieren!', you'd better have your 'ausweis' handy! (And mind you don't give yourself away if he wishes you 'good luck' in English...)

Martin Harris21/02/2020 17:30:28
9154 forum posts
229 photos

Seemed pretty easy to follow the path on Google maps, given that Nigel knew where the farm was. The only unknown is the position of the operator but I think it's a reasonable assumption that as they weren't visible during the flight, visual line of sight wasn't maintained.

Steve J21/02/2020 17:43:32
1769 forum posts
51 photos
Posted by Martin Harris on 21/02/2020 17:30:28:

I think it's a reasonable assumption that as they weren't visible during the flight, visual line of sight wasn't maintained.

I don't. You have no idea where the pilot was. Neither do I, but I doubt if he was standing in the water.

Steve J21/02/2020 17:46:47
1769 forum posts
51 photos
Posted by Nigel R on 21/02/2020 12:27:01:

unless I'm mistaken those fields flood most years. They flooded last year. They are all very low lying.

If they flood most years, I suspect that the farmer would leave planting them until the spring.

Don Fry21/02/2020 17:59:19
4557 forum posts
54 photos
Posted by Mike T on 21/02/2020 16:45:33:

Labels - how hard has it got to be? Printed off a list of my ID on bog standard A4, 25mm long, 3.2mm high. Cut them out with a scissors and sellotape to the plane! By the time I'm finished the entire exercise will have cost less than a quid.

Also re police interest, a retired copper friend of mine says if he knows anything about the force, they'll be competing amongst themselves to see who can chalk up the first pinch and £1000 fine.

So when the local gauleiter struts up to you and demands 'papieren!', you'd better have your 'ausweis' handy! (And mind you don't give yourself away if he wishes you 'good luck' in English...)

Your retired copper friend is either an idiot, or a senior boss elevated above his talents. Poor plods doing shifts at the coalface have better things to do, like keeping the the sergeant of their backs, paperwork late. Or sorting out hate crimes, as I read this week with some amusement. Old scrotes, moreover, gobby, educated, opinionated old scrotes, are not easy targets.

Martin Harris21/02/2020 18:00:27
9154 forum posts
229 photos
Posted by Steve J on 21/02/2020 17:43:32:

I think it's a reasonable assumption that as they weren't visible during the flight, visual line of sight wasn't maintained.

I don't. You have no idea where the pilot was. Neither do I, but I doubt if he was standing in the water.

While I can only speculate why you have only quoted part of my posting omitting the bit where I stated that "The only unknown is the position of the operator but I think it's a reasonable assumption that as they weren't visible during the flight, visual line of sight wasn't maintained", can you, with the benefit of the aerial view, suggest a location giving a clear view of the entire flight without some form of natural X-ray vision? I'm not suggesting taking the pilot to court over this so there's no need for any proof that would stand up in court but I think a reasonable person could only conclude the strong likelihood of the flight contravening the regulations.

Tim Kearsley21/02/2020 18:22:08
639 forum posts
3 photos

Seemed pretty easy to follow the path on Google maps, given that Nigel knew where the farm was. The only unknown is the position of the operator but I think it's a reasonable assumption that as they weren't visible during the flight, visual line of sight wasn't maintained.

I don't follow this I'm afraid. Nigel said he recognised the area, not that he knew the farm itself. Given the area is flooded, I can't see how anybody can pinpoint where that drone is with much accuracy, let alone know where the pilot is. None of it really matters I guess, but I don't like assumptions being presented as facts.

Tim.

Steve J21/02/2020 18:30:02
1769 forum posts
51 photos

Posted by Martin Harris on 21/02/2020 18:00:27:

Posted by Steve J on 21/02/2020 17:43:32:

While I can only speculate why you have only quoted part of my posting omitting the bit where I stated that "The only unknown is the position of the operator but I think it's a reasonable assumption that as they weren't visible during the flight, visual line of sight wasn't maintained"

I am making it clear what I am replying to. You say that you are making a "reasonable assumption". I don't agree.

Edited By Steve J on 21/02/2020 18:32:14

Steve J21/02/2020 18:31:03
1769 forum posts
51 photos

Spurious post.

Edited By Steve J on 21/02/2020 18:31:45

Martin Harris21/02/2020 18:34:21
9154 forum posts
229 photos

That is certainly your prerogative.

Martin Harris21/02/2020 18:42:45
9154 forum posts
229 photos
Posted by Tim Kearsley on 21/02/2020 18:22:08:

I don't follow this I'm afraid. Nigel said he recognised the area, not that he knew the farm itself. Given the area is flooded, I can't see how anybody can pinpoint where that drone is with much accuracy, let alone know where the pilot is. None of it really matters I guess, but I don't like assumptions being presented as facts.

Tim.

The identity of the farmer is known and this may have pinpointed the location to someone like Nigel familiar with the area. The layout of the 3 trees, road location and the hedge lines plus the prominent white house with 3 windows upstairs viewed with the aid of "street view", look identical to what is overflown and visible in the video to me. While not absolutely conclusive I would happily put money on it being the location of the video.

Perhaps Nigel might clarify his last paragraph?

Edited By Martin Harris on 21/02/2020 18:50:22

Erfolg21/02/2020 20:58:26
11637 forum posts
1294 photos

Don

I think you are a little generous.

When I was pulled over by the police, had my documents, a lot attention paid to the car, my policeman neighbour said, when speaking with him. If they would have booked you, that would have been extra points, in the game (my car at the time was a Posche). As it appeared, according to him (a traffic policeman, motorcycles) it was a way of alleviating the boredom of the traffic police, on a quite period.

As to was the farmer contravening regulations. It is essentially something that is best just forgotten about. I have seen a few things on BBC programs that appear to be questionable.

David Ashby - Moderator21/02/2020 22:02:32
10946 forum posts
1681 photos
614 articles

Folks, just a reminder that using ****** to hide poor language isn’t allowed on this forum. So doing gains the poster an immediate stage 1 warning. If you’re new or relatively new to the forum then please take the time to check the Code or Conduct.

The CAA/DOFT threads are generating a steady string of warnings and, in some cases, forum expulsions (for those already on a stage 1). We do this quietly in the background so don’t make the mistake of assuming this site is unmoderated just because you don’t see warnings given in public.

I doubt the story ends here and we've still to see many twists and turns in the saga, but the forum COC still stands and applies to all members, no matter how long they've been using this site. 

With thanks, David. 

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 22/02/2020 06:41:52

fly-navy22/02/2020 00:13:04
413 forum posts
11 photos
Posted by Nigel R on 21/02/2020 12:11:31:

"please don't think I'm angling g for someone on here to offer, just need heads up best place to get them printed"

Various ebay sellers offer a customised sticker type service. I paid £2.30 for ten.

Search for "stick on waterproof school kids identity printed name labels stickers"

I figured it was cheaper than buying a printer.

heers Nigel,

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
CADMA
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us