By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

NEW POLL - do you use a throttle kill switch?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Romeo Whisky02/11/2019 17:38:20
724 forum posts
202 photos

There is little doubt IMO that using a Throttle Cut switch is a hugely worthwhile safety factor on electric powered models. However a word of warning .... I use Spektrum (DX9) and found that with some ESC's there can be a danger of the electric motor bursting into life as soon as the throttle switch is turned off.

Throttle cut sets the throttle at -130 on the DX9 and reverts to -100 when the switch is turned off (with the throttle stick at bottom). However it seems some ESCs read the off position (-130) as their initialisation registration point when powered up, so that when you switch the TC switch off, it thinks -100 is actually +30. It is therefore important to ensure that the throttle stick TRIM button is set to the very bottom rather than at the centre point. When this is done it all works OK and the danger of an unexpected start is averted.

Steve J02/11/2019 18:07:55
1820 forum posts
51 photos
Posted by Romeo Whisky on 02/11/2019 17:38:20:

Throttle cut sets the throttle at -130 on the DX9 and reverts to -100 when the switch is turned off (with the throttle stick at bottom). However it seems some ESCs read the off position (-130) as their initialisation registration point when powered up, so that when you switch the TC switch off, it thinks -100 is actually +30. It is therefore important to ensure that the throttle stick TRIM button is set to the very bottom rather than at the centre point.

What you need to do is set the Throttle Cut to -100. The throttle trim on my electrics is turned off.

Romeo Whisky03/11/2019 13:35:59
724 forum posts
202 photos

Thanks Steve - yes, that's the other way to get around the issue. Ive tried both. Doesn't seem to matter which method you use, as both work. Important thing is to be aware that the throttle cut setting and throttle stick minimum value are the same to avoid a sudden unexpected motor start.

Tony Richardson24/02/2020 18:42:17
635 forum posts
25 photos

I use the "kill" switch on all my models IC included, it is also programmed to activate my flight timer.

John Stainforth24/02/2020 23:08:16
329 forum posts
39 photos

I also think that a kill switch should be an industry standard, like failsafe. I set up the switch on the top right back of the transmitter, and when taxying an i.c. model, for example, I keep one finger hooked round the switch toggle so that I can kill the engine instantly.

Chris Walby25/02/2020 07:13:12
1189 forum posts
296 photos

Romeo Whisky,

I don't think its a TX issue, IMO its a ESC issue as when it powers up its takes the signal from the RX as its low throttle position.

Reason - I have a couple of models with RX batteries and separate main motive battery e.g. BH Mossie.

TX on, RX powered up, control checks and canopy on. Ensure throttle hold is OFF

Connect main battery as its at the front of the nose and pop nose on with magnets. Throttle hold ON

Now I can lift it if the bench and take it to the flight line. Final checks and set rates, then ready to go!

I fully endorse the thumb over the throttle stick when carrying the TX and the throttle kill for electric and IC.

PS on the IC front earlier this year I was having trouble mechanically setting up the throttle on my 180 Laser Yak with cowl fitted. Started a treat, run a treat and had set the throttle too far open so could not fully shut the barrel!

Left standing next to the running engine on the IC bench trying to work out how you stop a glow engine safely - no access to cab fuel line, not easy to access the throttle servo so resorted to fuel line and plug the tank vent. Stopped in the end.

Martin Harris25/02/2020 12:15:32
9258 forum posts
245 photos

If the exhaust gas can't get out the engine will stop - gets a bit hot though if you use a bare thumb!

John Tee12/04/2020 19:02:09
831 forum posts
65 photos

In my post of 27/10/2019, I stated that my Hitec Eclipse 7 had a dedicated hold switch to isolate the throttle until you were ready to fly but my new Flash 8 didn't and I had to program a switch to do the same thing. While reading the manual today to try and set up a heli, I noticed right at the beginning of the manual a picture showing the layout of the buttons used to access the menus'. The "return/back" button was also marked in light red as a throttle lock. I tried this out and it does what it says and stops the throttle working. The screen shows the position of the throttle in percentage but is also marked as "locked". It needs to be pressed longer than a press/ release so can't easily be tirned off without a definite intent. Nowhere is this mentioned in the main manual pages. Not the first time I have been confused by makers manuals.

John

Fatscoleymo12/04/2020 19:16:19
253 forum posts
86 photos

Arming switch and kill switch. Use a kill switch on IC as well.

fats

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!