By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Chris McG F-86 Sabre Dog build blog

my first attempt to a soaring bird for the PSSA MB 2020?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

McG 696921/05/2020 20:57:03
3251 forum posts
1233 photos

... just forgot to ask you, Phil.

... are you still not considering having the GF frame from Dirk for your mighty Sabre example??? ... devil

... it's just 0,5mm thickness, so no probs at all to integrate it at this state of your progress.. cool

Cheers & keep safe

Chris

McG 696922/05/2020 20:20:20
3251 forum posts
1233 photos

Hello to all again,

The more loyal visitors of this blog will probably remember that I used to laminate a few sheets of 1,5mm supported by a cardboard salt drum.

But that was ages ago, so here it is again… cool

637_blastduct03_900.jpg

The idea was to create a turbine exit for the Dog without having to carve/sand down the nearly total interior of a complete block of balsa.

I now went on with the idea but had to create an ‘inside’ lamination as the tunnel I obtained with the 'Sal de mesa' tube was a bit over-sized regarding its internal diameter.

1201_turbine_exit01_900.jpg

Now, if it becomes a total disaster, I can always switch back to the more conventional method.

On a side note, Iris - my partner - had a ‘time management’ visio-conference course recently. She told me about the benefits of it and I got convinced to have the same kind of approach adapted for La Grotte and the Dog build… surprise

More about it later…

Hakuna matata & stay clear, gents

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Time Management Control

john stones 122/05/2020 20:31:57
11537 forum posts
1517 photos

Ah, you got a round tuit, wondered what they looked like. wink

Phil Cooke22/05/2020 20:52:56
2592 forum posts
1824 photos
Posted by McG 6969 on 21/05/2020 20:57:03:

... just forgot to ask you, Phil.

... are you still not considering having the GF frame from Dirk for your mighty Sabre example??? ... devil

Hiya Chris,

Yeah I've pondered on this for weeks but I'd decided not to put any more pressure on Dirks time in the current climate, we all have a lot on. As much as I love the look of the fabulous trimmed canopy frame I will stick to my plan and create a little thickness with a few extra coats of paint with the airbrush. This worked fine on the Hurricane and A-4.

Loving the balsa exhaust - very nice! I assume you used ammonia to achieve the curve? Did it shrink much during the drying out?

McG 696924/05/2020 18:15:14
3251 forum posts
1233 photos

Thank you both guys & apologies for not answering earlier,

It is definitely 'round', John... but not that sure it represents that mystical 'tuit' you could imagine...

By the way and on a side note, is Vettel going to sign with Renault? or will Alonso? ... personally I see Vettel getting convinced - $? - by Lawrence Stroll and signing for Aston Martin... surprise

I'm sure you will be fine with the mutiple paint layers, Phil. Probably, I'm just envious that I don't have an airbrush... blush

Yep, I used ammonia sparingly to assist the bending.

I use a small 100cl spray bottle (thanks again, Iris) to mist the balsa at the outside and when it starts to fold on itself, I bind/tape the required strips to the tube and let them dry.

I only trim and glue them when dry so can't know for sure how much they swell an retract afterwards.

Nothing much to show or describe this time as I mainly played with the laptop trying to get those Publisher files ready for the decals when needed. angel Back to La Grotte soon though.

Cheers & stay well, gents

Chris

McG 696924/05/2020 22:25:36
3251 forum posts
1233 photos

... too late for editing now, gents... crying

... but obviously, you all should read 10cl for the bottle size and not 100cl which isn't really 'small' anymore... blush

Sorry, but stay safe anyhow

Chris

john stones 124/05/2020 22:37:15
11537 forum posts
1517 photos

Don't matter what Seb signs, the young drivers are too good for him, same with Alonso.

McG 696925/05/2020 12:46:05
3251 forum posts
1233 photos

You might be right regarding the 'young blood', John.

So, what about two 'oldies' together then?

Toto Wolff and Lewis don't want Seb signing in for Mercedes... but the Grand Chief and the board of directors of Daimler would be very positive on the idea for obvious global marketing reasons... Vettel vs. Hamilton in the same Silver... might be very 'fun'...

Cheers

Chris

john stones 125/05/2020 13:30:36
11537 forum posts
1517 photos

Might be but Lewis would humiliate him, not good for the ego, the young lads have the hunger, sign those.

McG 696926/05/2020 19:34:40
3251 forum posts
1233 photos

Hi there,

Having had some digital drawing progression but also a couple of productive sessions at La Grotte, here are some results.

1206_lamin_wingtips_900.jpg

I cut out the wing tips profiles and laminated them together with a slice of ply to get the needed thickness.

I followed Phil’s advice of laminating 2 thicknesses of 6mm bits together as I don’t have any 12mm balsa at hand.

Looking at the picture, I now start pondering if I used the correct thickness of ply to laminate in between… ppfff indecision

I guess I will have to check it before getting publicly very confused about it. blush

1211_turbine_exit02_900.jpg

Next was completing the turbine exit with 2 more laminations of 1,5mm balsa that will be sanded later on when glued to the fuse. After I finally manage to end the planking of the aft fuse, that is. The idea is to taper them following the fuselage end curvature.

Hakuna matata & stay clear all

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Ply Thickness Control

Martian26/05/2020 20:12:53
2529 forum posts
1163 photos

Looking really good Chris and by the way as brilliant as they were Alonso and Vettel have had their day I have always felt there is an element of invincibility in the minds of young drivers when reality sets in that vital edge is lost plus confidence takes a knock imperceptibly as it may be then ego keeps them driving on. I have seen it with other drivers in the past. Keep up the good work

McG 696927/05/2020 12:36:02
3251 forum posts
1233 photos

Thanks for your kind comment, Martian.

Regarding both F1 'seniors', for sure they had their best time already... and the 'youth' keeps on pushing. cool

I agree the younsters have that little 'plus' that you describe as their "element of invincibility" or "vital edge"...

By the way, if your interested in car racing, why don't you join us at 'Fantasy GP'. Some forumites created a league of RCME forum members. Great bunch of guys and a lot of fun. Still time to join up as the C19 situation delayed the start of the racing season. yes

Cheers & keep safe

Chris

Flyer27/05/2020 13:59:50
617 forum posts
108 photos

Inspirational work Chris. It's the attention to detail that is impressive, and thanks for sharing the techniques. My own build has stuttered a little, due to increased workloads, and hitting a problem with the airbrakes. I think I've now resolved that, so should have a complete fuselage by the weekend.

Cheers

Ade

Phil Cooke27/05/2020 14:44:14
2592 forum posts
1824 photos
Looking at the picture, I now start pondering if I used the correct thickness of ply to laminate in between… ppfff indecision

I guess I will have to check it before getting publicly very confused about it. blush

Hiya Chris,

I think the ply thickness in your laminated wingtips looks fine! 1/32" or 1/16" is ideal - any thinner than 1/32" and you lose the benefit of stiffness and robustness - which is the whole purpose of the ply insert. Any thicker than 3/32" and your ply T/E will be thicker than your aileron T/E and will need sanding back - you'd also be carrying unneccesary weight in the wing. 1/16" is the 'go to' stock for me.

wingtips 4.jpg

McG 696927/05/2020 19:33:14
3251 forum posts
1233 photos

Thank you both, gents.

Well, Ade, I can only hope I’m a little better at ‘detailing’ as my airframe build knowledge is close to nihil. There is absolutely no reason not to share what I discovered or experimented regarding the small detailing bits, so quite flattered if it can help a potential visitor.

I checked the laminated ply thickness today, Phil.

I guess my problem relies on the simple fact that I’m still not very comfortable with your imperial units… the two measures I’m starting to finally understand fast enough are 1/4” and 1/8”.

As you wrote, mine looks all right at the now measured 1,5mm… sorry, 1/16”…

Merci, Phil and at least, a fine, trouble free, night rest for Gaston and me.

Cheers & keep clear, gents

Chris

McG 696928/05/2020 20:09:20
3251 forum posts
1233 photos

Hi to all,

I realize I can be slow.

Not even lazy, just plain ‘slow’…

I just needed nearly a full session - read close to 3 hours - at La Grotte to obtain this ‘little bit’… blush

1217_turbine_exit03_900.jpg

Mind you it has a total different shape compared to the standard F-86… of course...

At least I can still hope that my lamination process keeps an adequate probability to be fully usable for the Dog.

Now I just have to complete the fuse bottom planking to glue the turbine exit on, sand it down and prove it to the external world.

(to be continued)

McG 696928/05/2020 20:11:19
3251 forum posts
1233 photos

(continued)

Talking of planking, here comes Iris’s Time Management course translated into a very usable idea at modelling level. cool

In fact, I need to go on with my wing build, but also have to finish off that fuse planking.

Well, the idea is to create a double work area so I can switch from one to the other while the Aliphatic dries without losing too much Grotte time.

But therefore, I really need to tidy up a lot to create the space and the possibility of that Time Management solution. wink

Tidying up & cleaning will be the Master Words of my following sessions, gents.

Hakuna matata & stay safe all

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Cleaning Control

Dwain Dibley.28/05/2020 20:50:41
1505 forum posts
1487 photos

3 Hours, but what a result Chris.

I think you will enjoy doing two things at once, your mind will be occupied while things dry, and progress will seem quicker, I built the Moth and a trainer at the same time. Swapping between the two was quite therapeutic.

Just don't glue the wrong bits on the wrong project. wink

Remember, Clean workshop = Happy workshop. laugh

D.D.

McG 696929/05/2020 18:47:34
3251 forum posts
1233 photos

Thanks for the kind words, Dwain.

It was a lot of measuring and cutting, no probs but at the end it became quite fragile.

Anyhow I’m quite pleased with the laminations as I saved half a tree of balsa from the dust bin. cool

I remember your Moth and the high-winger.

Luckily, it’s only a single “project” here, so the worst I could do is go on planking with the wing ribs… blush

I started tidying la Grotte this afternoon, but strangely the result so far is an even greater chaos. angel

Cheers and stay safe, young man

Chris

john stones 129/05/2020 19:01:54
11537 forum posts
1517 photos

Clean workshop = Can't find owt. wink

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!