By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Chris McG F-86 Sabre Dog build blog

my first attempt to a soaring bird for the PSSA MB 2020?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

McG 696930/05/2020 10:34:25
3251 forum posts
1233 photos

I'm already afraid of that issue, John. crying

My main goal is to create some 'working space'.

I'm just trying to organize the semi-chaos now by regrouping all the bits and bobs by 'category'.

Luckily, I have a load of plastic transparent boxes/small containers at hand, allowing me hopefully to get the job done more or less rationally.

The main problem will be to remember 'which' box is containing 'what'... blush

Cheers

Chris

Dwain Dibley.30/05/2020 19:12:47
1505 forum posts
1487 photos

Save your Carry-out boxes Chris, they make good storage.

D.D.

img_20200530_180508.jpg

img_20200530_180523.jpg

McG 696931/05/2020 08:56:17
3251 forum posts
1233 photos

... wilco, Dwain...

'Saving Plastic Ryan Boxes' is already the top motto at La Grotte. cool

I must have more than two hundreds of them, distributed over three different capacities but from the same supplier being Iris's favourite butcher/traiteur shop. smiley

The main job will be to fill them - as rationally as possible - with all those different bits and bobs... not forgetting to label them, obviously...

I'm thinking of having a go at this tedious job later on during this splendid and sunny day.

Cheers & stay clear

Chris

McG 696931/05/2020 18:58:37
3251 forum posts
1233 photos

Hi all,

As planned, I had a very long but productive 'sorting' day at La Grotte with nearly sixty transparent containers of different sizes used for the job. Labeling it all will be a job when the Dog is completed, I'm afraid. angel

I now have a 'new' building platform of nearly 1,5m² for the fuselage to be finished and the wing jig can soon go back to the building board. I also have a pyramid of boxes in an other corner but let that be a different tale...

Early last week, I noticed that I was running out of Deluxe Aliphatic glue. I ordered some right away together with the SLEC aileron torque rods. Yep, Phil, I did... wink

Unfortunately tomorrow is a National Holiday and I guess I'll be waiting a bit longer for my parcel.

Slight change of plans but still enough to handle in the meantime... yes

Hakuna matata & stay clear all

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Parcel Control

McG 696901/06/2020 19:51:07
3251 forum posts
1233 photos

Hi again,

Being left without my preferred glue, I had a quick check of my still very long ‘to do’ list.

As I’m planning to have some flashing beacons, this was a perfect opportunity to install the rear one before closing the fuse.

1218_led_wiring01_900.jpg

I used a drinking straw, wrapped it up with masking tape for better glue grip and cut it in small sections. Half a drop of Superphatic per section is enough to stick it perfectly and to keep the weight down.

A couple of tweezers and a glass of Ballaturi Rosé were indeed very helpful to get the wiring in place…

1219_led_wiring02_900.jpg

1225_led_wiring03_900.jpg

The beacon is supposed to be placed at the scale position just above the turbine exit at the end of the fin fairing extension.

Hakuna matata & keep careful all

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Beacon Control

Phil Cooke01/06/2020 20:41:32
2592 forum posts
1824 photos

wow! Real tail lights!! Impressive Chris brilliant stuff!

Dwain Dibley.01/06/2020 22:06:37
1505 forum posts
1487 photos

I'll second that Phil, they will look superb, nice and tidy install too, typical McG. smile d

D.D.

McG 696902/06/2020 18:13:09
3251 forum posts
1233 photos

Thank you both, Phil and Dwain.

In fact, I’m planning two of those but the exact position of the second one is ‘secret’ for the time being and will be revealed in due time… angel

Still no glue delivered, but it isn’t a drama as I have plenty of others things to handle.

I got the wing jig back on the building board, had a lot of planks prepared for the aft fuse and started working on the fuse wing plate… yes

Cheers and keep safe, gents

Chris

McG 696903/06/2020 19:41:02
3251 forum posts
1233 photos

Hello to all,

Just a small bite, but a bite anyhow.

The wing bolt plate got its blind nuts and part of it removed to give room for the aileron torque rods.

1252_wing_plate_900.jpg

I’m afraid I just copied Phil’s cut out as far as I could interpret his pics. blush

… youppieyeah… I received my parcel from SLEC today. Entirely not their fault as the postman explained our Bpost is totally overwhelmed with parcels and deliveries from online orders as a result of our confinement. The same with DPD, UPS, DHL and other parcels services. And of course, we had that official holiday last Monday.

No probs, more than ever now, patience is a virtue… angel

Now I’m also the proud owner of those SLEC aileron torque rods… Let’s hope that Phil can stand my daft questions about them in the (near?) future…

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Torque Rods Control

Mark Kettle 103/06/2020 20:33:18
2544 forum posts
1568 photos

Just checking in Chris, I'm still watching, a clean, neat and precise build, I'm enjoying your thread.

McG 696904/06/2020 18:15:20
3251 forum posts
1233 photos

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your very motivating comments.

Just a short session at La Grotte but with the recent glue arrival, I needed to have some planking done. angel

Not that much really, but it seems to be the same as a bike ride, it came back very fast. cool

I also digged up an old ‘test wing section’ that I made some years ago during my Ballerina build.

I will use it now as an additional TM Plan for further testing of Fred’s Sauce in combination with my planned final paint job…

Cheers and stay clear all

Chris

McG 696905/06/2020 18:30:15
3251 forum posts
1233 photos

Hello again,

The second session of planking got achieved as well and is still drying.

Now, after the last ‘full length’ planks, the shorter planking up to the wing TE is progressing quite faster.

The bottom of the fuse is amazingly 'flatter' than I thought. But no sheeting here as I prepared way too many planks anyway... blush

1254_bottom_planking01_900.jpg

I guess I will have to start that Sauce & Paint testing sooner than I thought. wink

Still alternating the jobs, the port wing ribs are almost all prepared for gluing up soon. yes

Hakuna matata & stay clear all, please

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR TM Control

Mark Elen05/06/2020 18:32:37
527 forum posts
1022 photos

Hi Chris,

Still following along and enjoying your build. Beautiful. yes

Cheers

Mark

McG 696906/06/2020 16:58:41
3251 forum posts
1233 photos

Thanks for your very kind words, Mark.

Especially from a modeller with your skills and experience. yes

Merci beaucoup & stay safe, young man

Chris

McG 696907/06/2020 18:39:25
3251 forum posts
1233 photos

Hi to all,

I had a start with the Sauce test piece so I can add a third item to the TM plan.

I wrote before that I will use a wing section that I made when building Peter’s Ballerina, using the bottom of the airfoil this time.

It’s 3mm Depron test piece glassed with 18g fiber using water based hard varnish. LE and TE are short strips of balsa.

I gave Fred’s Sauce a few drops of Carmin acrylic but forgot about the fact that Carmin is very translucent. After a light sanding, I gave it another coat with Umber mixed in which will give a better contrast.

1228_test_sauce_900.jpg

When preparing some Sauce, it’s better to foresee a small container with a lid allowing to use it without problem during several days.

As the pic shows, there are a lot of brush strokes probably due to the cheap nylon brush. blush

Never had that before so back to the good quality artist brush that I used earlier.

Hakuna matata & stay safe all

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR NACA 3414 Control

McG 696908/06/2020 18:24:46
3251 forum posts
1233 photos

Hello again,

Unfortunately, the ‘sky was crying’ all day here in BE.

Close to impossible to work outside to sand the test piece… frown

A little planking will do instead, I guess.

1257_bottom_planking02_900.jpg

Getting there slowly… cool

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Rain Control

john stones 108/06/2020 23:21:08
11535 forum posts
1517 photos

Nice planking Chris, how's Iris n Gaston, both well I hope. smiley

McG 696909/06/2020 13:53:36
3251 forum posts
1233 photos

Thank you, John.

You know, this is really the easy part of the planking especially compared to the tail end. yes

I really like it more and more. In fact, I've even been making some sketches for a small - +/- 400mm - 'Chris Craft' or 'Runabout' type motorboat...

Iris is doing well, thanks. As our confinement has been a bit 'relaxed' since the beginning of the week, she's partly back to the office & homeworking half time.

Gaston has a bit of problems with his sanity mask as the rubber bands interfere somehow with the size of his 'auditive sails'... devil

Cheers

Chris

McG 696910/06/2020 20:28:29
3251 forum posts
1233 photos

Hi out there,

I made a start on gluing the first ribs of the port wing using a ‘dummy’ top spar to check the alignment.

My trusty Duplos and my sandbags are still ‘part of the deal’ here. cool

I do realize it all looks a bit ‘amateur’ but it just works for me… besides the fact that I don’t have any Campbell soup tins at hand…

Sarcastic smiles at the back of the classroom are fully allowed though… wink

1278_port_wing01_900.jpg

While the Aliphatic was drying, I took the opportunity of a dry weather outside to attack the wing test-piece. (to be continued) ...

McG 696910/06/2020 20:31:06
3251 forum posts
1233 photos

(continued)

A few words of explanation for those interested. The white ‘lane’ at the bottom is just the glassed Depron as it was before the Sauce test.

The pink lane is the sanded Carmin first coat while the rest is the later mixed coat offering a better contrast.

1230_test_sauce02_900.jpg

The sanding of the mixture is fast and easy, but the thin Depron and glassing are a bit too soft. They tend to ‘sag’ showing the spars and ribs too easily. blush

No probs, as this will not be the case with the Dog’s wooden sheeting and the thicker glass cloth.

Hakuna matata & stay safe, please

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Sagging Control

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!