By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Chris McG F-86 Sabre Dog build blog

my first attempt to a soaring bird for the PSSA MB 2020?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Chris Barlow11/11/2019 19:14:00
1858 forum posts
1266 photos

Adapt and overcome Chris.

If you want to install tubes & pull throughs the cut the holes in the ribs. If you want to install servo wires to solder later then run them through before the top sheeting.yes

McG 696911/11/2019 19:47:55
2714 forum posts
1017 photos

Thanks for answering, Chris.

I guess I'll go with holes in the ribs then, as to be a bit more 'versatile' when needed later.

Any clue if I can prepare the top wing sheeting right away?

Thanks again

Cheers

Chris

Harry Twist11/11/2019 21:08:49
333 forum posts
246 photos

Hi Chris, dont see a reason why you can't prepare your top skins now, but remember to allow more material "width" in the chord dimension to allow for the extra curvature of the top surface over that of the lower surface. Store the skins safely whilst you prepare the lower wing with all the internals and then you can add them later. In fact it's probably a good idea to do it first whilst you don't have the jig sat on the plan!

McG 696912/11/2019 10:54:50
2714 forum posts
1017 photos

Thank you for the kind advice, Harry.

(and to Simon W2 for answering on his own thread.)

As my sheeting is foreseen with an extra 10mm at the LE, tip and TE, I must have enough material to take care of the extra top curvature. But I’ll check that out before committing.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Sheeting Control

McG 696912/11/2019 20:25:31
2714 forum posts
1017 photos

Hello gents,

The other ribs of the wing jig were glued in.

As I don’t have any triangular stock, I prepared some ‘gussets’ from balsa off cuts, pinned them down at some strategic points and the Aliphatic is drying now.

517_wingjig03_900.jpg

520_wingjig04_900.jpg

Next time, I guess I could use Deluxe SuperPhatic as it procures a faster drying.

Note to self > I mustn’t forget to add the central 1,5mm balsa strip on top of the R1 ribs.

And Gaston is still a bit wondering what I’m trying to achieve…

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Jig Stuff #3 Control

john stones 112/11/2019 20:29:31
10759 forum posts
1481 photos

Tidy work as always Chris, any slopes to fly from near your abode ?

Chris Barlow13/11/2019 00:58:00
1858 forum posts
1266 photos

Chris, I noticed you building bench and can't help wondering how stiff, flat and untwisted it will be?

Might be better to assemble the wing jig and build the wing on the floor if that's flatter?

McG 696913/11/2019 08:03:19
2714 forum posts
1017 photos

Always nice to have you visiting and commenting, John.

Unfortunately, no slopes at all... sad

The Netherlands and Belgium are called the 'Lage Landen' (Low Lands) for a reason, I guess.

That's very probably why Dirk T is building an EDF version of his great Fouga Magister slope bird.

I decided to participate to the Sabre MB for the building experience in itself. But of course, getting it ready in time for the Orme event and being able to join the community, would be a major bonus point. smiley

Cheers, young man

Chris

McG 696913/11/2019 08:21:31
2714 forum posts
1017 photos

Thanks for your concerns, Chris B.

The building board is a 25mm MDF board covered w/ Melamine on both sides with a frame of battens glued/screwed underneath. The central longitudinal batten is deeper so it can be firmly blocked by the Workmate... and easily dismantled as well when not in use... yes

So I'm not really worried about it and besides - due to my age - I'm a bit reluctant to practice my hobbies on the floor. wink

Cheers

Chris

McG 696913/11/2019 18:27:31
2714 forum posts
1017 photos

I started to get worried with Chris B's comment about my building board... indecision

When I arrived at La Grotte - as the jig could now be removed - the first thing I did was checking my board...

I used a steel ruler, two different alu profiles and came to the conclusion that my board is absolutely nice and totally flat... smiley

While experiencing a well-funded relieve, I made my first measurements and cuttings for the bottom wing sheeting.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Board Control

McG 696914/11/2019 09:21:23
2714 forum posts
1017 photos

Hello again,

In relation with the building board and the jig, I forgot to mention some ply ‘bridges’ - with a scrap bit of balsa underneath - that I added at the outside of both R13A's.

523_wingjig05_900.jpg

527_wingjig06_900.jpg

They allow for an easy clamping of the wing jig to the board.

Of course, it’s not the wheel, aspirin or bakelite invention, but I thought it could help some other newbies like me… angel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Jig Stuff #4 Control

McG 696914/11/2019 18:23:38
2714 forum posts
1017 photos

Hi everybody,

As I don’t have some pics of the cut wing sheets parts, what about some news of the BAF’s Aerobatic Team >

The ‘Red Devils’ story

(maybe a bit boring for some of you, but you can always skip reading the following posts) …

Early 1957, under the impulse of Maj. Robert "Bobby" Bladt a demonstration team is created. At that moment, the team was flying the Hawker Hunter based at the 7th Fighter Wing of Chièvres Airbase. It was composed of instructors of the "Ecole de Pilotage Avancée" (EPA), entered multiple international airshows in Europe and got rapidly an established notoriety.

During the summer of 1958 - the year of the World Expo in Brussels - Bierset Airbase is organizing one of the largest events ever in Belgium, the ‘Nations Meeting’. With the presence of the French, British, Italian, Portuguese, Greek but also the US Navy and the USAF demo teams, it becomes a huge success in presence of the Belgian King and more than hundred thousand visitors.

red_devils_hawker_hunter_01_900.jpg

The Belgian demo team is more than up to its task but one detail gets ‘ennoying’. All the demo teams are wearing fancy colours, great deco schemes and smoke generators while the Belgians still have the Sq.7 camo paint (cfr. pictures shown).

red_devils_hawker_hunter_03_900.jpg

(to be continued)

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Red Devils Control

McG 696915/11/2019 22:17:12
2714 forum posts
1017 photos

Hi there,

Here we are again,

The ‘Red Devils’ story

(part 2)

It would be a good thing to have a colourful deco scheme for the Hunters but Lt. Col. De Bueger, Chièvres’s Airbase Commander, doesn’t really fancy that idea.

A few months later, a few days before the 19th display of the SBAC (Society of British Aircraft Constructors) at Farnborough (UK), Bobby Bladt decides to paint the bottom of the wings of four Hunters in the Belgian colours as per the idea of the ‘Patrouille de France’.

red_devils_hawker_hunter_900.jpg

red_devils_hawker_hunter_02_900.jpg

The day following the show, Bladt will be severely ‘blamed’ by his Airbase Commander for his initiative…

But in march 1959, Lt. Col. Jules Kaisin takes over the command of Chièvres Airbase... and we first see our full national colours applied to the five Hawkers of the demo team. The ‘Red Devils’ become officially recognized…

red_devils_hawker_hunter_04_900.jpg

(to be continued)

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Red Devils #2 Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 15/11/2019 22:20:31

dirk tinck16/11/2019 00:25:52
304 forum posts
546 photos

Hi Chris,sorry i didn't respond to you questions but i was doing other ''stuff' 'than modelling for the last days.

I saw most sabre builders glued the wing jig together but i just pinned it down to the plan without glue .This way i can take it apart after the build. Made up the wing skins a little to big and now i'm waiting for my spars.

In the meamtime started the fuse, will post soon.

McG 696916/11/2019 12:04:09
2714 forum posts
1017 photos

Thanks for your visit and comment, Dirk.

In fact at the moment, I'm spending more time reading the different blogs than at actually building.

And I still have a lot of question marks as to 'how to'... indecision

I glued my jig together as it seemed easier to remove from the board when needed.

I could 'stain & wax' it later on, take it with me to Conwy and sell it to Drew Pritchard as he's very keen on 'industrial miniatures'... wink

I also made the wing sheeting about 10mm larger at the LE, tips and TE with only the roots remaining 'flush'.

I'm going to use hard balsa spars. Are you too or using a spruce substitution?

Cheers

Chris

ps > ... don't forget to add the 1,5mm balsa strip on top of both R1's...

McG 696917/11/2019 20:25:23
2714 forum posts
1017 photos

Hello again,

I'm afraid the Brazilian GP held me away from La Grotte and from bashing balsa this weekend, but at least it helped to offer you the next part of...

The ‘Red Devils’ story

(part 3)

In September 1960, Robert Bladt is promoted to the BAF HQs and the ‘Bladt’ era seems over but Cpt. Yvan Deprins, his most experienced wingman and friend, takes over his leading task.

He will lead the formation of the 4 red Hunters during 3 years with more than 30 exhibitions.

Their very last appearance will be during the official retirement ceremony of the Hawker Hunter on Friday 4 October 1963 at the 7th Fighter Wing of Chièvres Airbase.

With his team disbanded, Capt. Deprins decides to prepare the ‘promotion’ of the future return of the Red Devils by working on the deco scheme of the successor. His idea is to decorate an aircraft and use it for display at future national events or open-doors. He promptly receives the benediction of Bobby Bladt at the HQ plus the support of his Base Commander at the 7th Wing.

(to be continued)

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Red Devils #3 Control

McG 696918/11/2019 19:01:55
2714 forum posts
1017 photos

Hello to all (still there),

The ‘Red Devils’ story

(part 4)

But as this project remains ‘non official’, no real budget is available and he as to find a modern looking subject at nearly no cost.

The answer will come from his friends at the Dutch Koninklijke Luchtmacht and in particular the display team of Sq.700 and Sq.701.

Two F-86K-17-NF of the same type were ‘obtained’ - at the cost of transportation - for the project: Q-259 (reg. 54-1259 / 213-29) retired from duty medio ’63 & Q-273 (reg. 54-1273 / 213-43) scrapped in ’62 after an emergency landing in Kamp Zeist but complete and perfect as a spare parts bank.

sabre dog dutch q-259_03_861.jpgQ-259 on its way to Chièvres Airbase to be reassembled and restored to its original - hopefully airworthy - condition by the groundcrew and fitters of the 7th Wing… (end, finally)

Now at least you all know why I’ve decided to have a Sabre Dog as my PSSA MB…

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Red Devils #4 Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 18/11/2019 19:05:51

Harry Twist18/11/2019 19:15:09
333 forum posts
246 photos

Hi Chris, thanks for sharing the Red Devils story. The Hawker Hunter always looks good in red!

Edited By Harry Twist on 18/11/2019 19:15:51

McG 696919/11/2019 09:51:49
2714 forum posts
1017 photos

Thanks Harry.

Yes indeed, regarding the Hunter outfit. There is a - splendidly restored - red 'speed record' Hunter in an Airfield Museum in UK (Tangmere, possibly?). yes

Cheers

Chris

McG 696919/11/2019 18:49:13
2714 forum posts
1017 photos

Hello to all,

I just hope the majority of the visitors survived my RedDevils’s story, but let’s stop that historical proza - which is not that evident in a non-native language - and start some balsa bashing. yes

As my bottom wing sheeting was now good to go, I started drawing the different lines needed.

530_wing_lines.jpg

After completion, I could present the spars - hard balsa - and glue them w/ Aliphatic to the sheeting.

532_wing_spars_900.jpg

As Phil C suggested, I oversized my wing sheeting and it seems easier later to handle the gluing of the LE & TE with a bit of margin. Easily cut away after the wing half is completed.

Following the suggestion of Harry T and Simon W2, I also made the top sheetings and these are 'stored' away safely with the hope to be able to find them back when needed... angel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Starboard Wing Control

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us