By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Chris McG F-86 Sabre Dog build blog

my first attempt to a soaring bird for the PSSA MB 2020?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

McG 696907/07/2020 13:11:40
3307 forum posts
1257 photos

... let's hope the Dog will help you with your possible next 'ratfight' then, Dwain... wink

Cheers

Chris

McG 696908/07/2020 19:14:09
3307 forum posts
1257 photos

Hello to all,

Acceptable weather here to have further sanding sessions of the fuse outside.

The entire fuse has now progressed from 80, 120 and down to 180 grit, except around the wing bay cut out… really chuffed that it’s nearly done now… ppfff…

There are a few dings - of course! - which I’ll have to fill with a mixture of lightweight filler/balsa dust/diluted PVA. No worries though as I have enough balsa powder now… wink

Since a while, I’ve been a little envious of those ‘special-made-home-tools’ realized by the ‘real modellers’ and decided to finally have one of my own…

1366_wingprofile_tool01_900.jpg

The measures indicated on the post-it are metric units and are self-explanatory, I guess?

Kind note > the tool will be used upside down, obviously… angel ... guesses for its use are very welcome, gents.

Hakuna matata & stay safe all

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Home Made Tool Control

McG 696909/07/2020 18:52:34
3307 forum posts
1257 photos

Hi there,

At least the RCM&E server didn’t explode due to the exuberance of the visitor’s propositions regarding the use of my ‘poor’ tool… frown

Not in BE, but it was possibly great flying weather in the UK after all. Let’s have that for a valid excuse concerning the visitor's involvement then.

Anyhow, my first tests were quite positive and I’ll be on my way for the second part of the surgery before the WE, I hope. smiley

Hakuna matata & stay safe, gents

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Tool #2 Control

Phil Cooke09/07/2020 22:41:33
2619 forum posts
1836 photos

Hiya Chris,

Apols I've not been about, work has been horrible and hectic and I've been busy getting ready for this weekends venture out to the hills - my first flying outing since October last year so quite a bit to do!!

Your home made bespoke tool must be for pricking out the fuselage side profile around the wing bay is it not??

Will you be oversanding so the wing seats firmly onto the inner ply formers with a clear gap formed allowing for an area of seating material (which also constitutes the base of the fillet at the rear?)

You'll soon have that wing all bolted up to the fus! Exciting!!! beer

john stones 109/07/2020 22:52:30
11597 forum posts
1517 photos

Been otherwise occupied Chris, It's for eating Pomegranates, used to have one of my own. wink

John

Utensil Control.

McG 696910/07/2020 12:59:56
3307 forum posts
1257 photos

Thank you both, gents.

You're absolutely right, Phil.

With that little hardwood block added and if my calcs are OK, it will give me a pricked 'line' +/- 3mm lower - with the fuse inverted - than the inner ply formers.

That gap will be useful indeed for some thin ply as a filet base as well as the seating material.

... and enjoy your outing 'to the hills'... yes

I've never pricked pomegranate seeds, John. But I fully trust your skills and experience.

I regularly combine pomegranate juice with vanilla ice cream though. Delicious... smiley

Cheers & keep safe, gents

Chris

Phil Cooke10/07/2020 17:17:37
2619 forum posts
1836 photos

Hi Chris,

Just be mindful, the wing is a more complex shape than as it first appears, the top surface of the wing has a little dihedral at the rear, quite conventional, but due to the shape of the ribs the upper skin has an amount of anhedral around the front. So this will effect the pricking out required and I think a little iteration is inevitable to get to the constant gapping you desire.

McG 696911/07/2020 09:00:11
3307 forum posts
1257 photos

Thanks, Phil.

I remember your post (and Dirk's) regarding that anhedral/dihedral 'switch'.

I must admit it wasn't easy to visualize until recently when the wing got completed with its sheeting. But even then, it's still a bit strange.

I'll do my best to take it into account but no guarantees it will be a success... blush

If my cut out seems too large at the front, I suppose I'll have to 'bodge' it somehow together with the fairing.

'Bodger' was in fact the very first word of 'urban' English that I've learned here on the forum. I will never forget it was the late BEB who explained its signification to me...

Cheers and stay safe, young man.

Chris

McG 696911/07/2020 19:25:41
3307 forum posts
1257 photos

Hello to all,

Here are a few pics of the idea around that home-made thingie.

With the tool resting inverted on the two F4 wing profiles, it is just slid laterally and pricks the fuse wall.

1369_fuse_tool01_900.jpg

A bit of red marking to assist finding the hole back later and just repeat the op to finally obtain the top part of the wing profile.

If everything goes following plan, it will provide a cutting line with a gap of 3mm between the fuse and the top of the wing profile. If not careful enough with the anhedral at the LE, as Phil explained above, I will have to ‘bodge’ it… angel

1375_fuse_tool02_9005.jpg

1376_fuse_tool03_900.jpg

Gaston is a bit wondering about my intentions but that won’t be the last time during this build, I’m afraid… frown

Hakuna matata & stay cool, gents

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Pricking Control

john stones 111/07/2020 19:40:10
11597 forum posts
1517 photos

Ah, bodgit n scarper, two lads I know well. wink

Keep your eye on him Gaston, bit of moral support.

McG 696912/07/2020 20:35:24
3307 forum posts
1257 photos

Hija John,

Been having a lazy Sunday together with the broadcast of the Styrian GP, as you very probably know... blush

Meanwhile, I had a look at the Urban Dic, but couldn't really find the meaning of 'scarper', except for 'leaving/running'.

On a side note, I found the very current definition of "maskhole", but I'll leave the visitors who want to know, discover that for themselves... cool

Cheers & stay safe, mate

Chris

McG 696915/07/2020 19:54:59
3307 forum posts
1257 photos

Hi out there,

I’ve been a bit lazy starting this week but my official excuse is that Monday we had our first BBQ of the year and a lot of things needed to be taken care of.

Back to La Grotte yesterday for some more… sanding. sad

1378_turbine_exhaust01_900.jpg

The remaining parts in the top middle of the exhaust will be removed once the fin fairing has been prolonged till the back of the turbine exit. angel

1381_turbine_exhaust02_900.jpg

I had to spend quite of lot of time to get the bottom side right as with the tight curve, my tapered planking wasn’t ‘great’.

Instead of filling it up with lightweight filler, I decided to ‘shave’ it partially away and to replace it with some thin strips of fresh balsa which are now sanded to profile.

1383_turbine_exhaust03_900.jpg

Neater and stronger, I think. cool

Does this count as ‘bodging’? …

Hakuna matata & stay prudent, all

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Exhaust Control

john stones 115/07/2020 20:09:02
11597 forum posts
1517 photos

Yep, tidy bit of bodging there. wink

Phil Cooke15/07/2020 21:19:20
2619 forum posts
1836 photos

All looks good and shapely to me, Chris!

I'm still working out how best to glass all these complex features.

Dwain Dibley.15/07/2020 22:33:40
1521 forum posts
1506 photos

It's the neatest "bodge" I have ever seen Matey... wink

D.D.

McG 696916/07/2020 12:15:00
3307 forum posts
1257 photos

... "Yuppieyeeeahhh... I'm a genuine bodger now then... laugh

Thanks, guys.

@ Phil > as my plan goes so far, I'll do the fin/rudder/dorsal fin - easier as being taller than the normal F-86 - both sides before gluing them in.

The idea still is to have both sides in one piece, butt jointed at the top. I then foresee a bandage strip of 3-4cm at the top and a wider one at the bottom to give it some extra strength there.

No second coat of resin to fill the wave for me though as it gives no extra strength at all but comes out a lot heavier.

Remember - in an ideal world - the only right ratio between glass tissue and resin is 1:1... If you take a square meter of 25g cloth, you should only need 25gr of resin to flood it correctly. surprise

Nearly impossible to achieve except when using prepreg composites and a autoclave oven to cure it. Not for us 'modellers', I'm afraid.

I'll fill the wave with one or two coats of Fred's Sauce. A lot lighter and way easier to sand.

Cheers & keep safe, guys

Chris

McG 696917/07/2020 19:22:03
3307 forum posts
1257 photos

Hello again,

Quite a bit of work but in fact nothing much to show or write down. frown

The wing bay sheeting has been cut out, F4 cut away for the ailerons pushrods and the internal ply parts sanded down.

I followed Phil’s advice regarding the LE anhedral, but if my approach was wrong… no probs, as I’m a ‘bodger’ now… wink

1389_wingbay_cutout_900.jpg

Most importantly, the entire fuselage has been now sanded down with just a final touch up before glassing.

Hakuna matata & stay cool, gents

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Fuse Sanding Control

john stones 117/07/2020 20:36:46
11597 forum posts
1517 photos

Looking good Chris, very tidy work. wink

Phil Cooke17/07/2020 21:08:15
2619 forum posts
1836 photos

Nice work Chris, getting that fus sanded all nice for the glass is a major achievement - it's what I'm working on this weekend assuming the weather here in the UK allows.

McG 696918/07/2020 13:17:35
3307 forum posts
1257 photos

Thank you both, John and Phil.

Comments are always great to keep up the motivation needed. yes

Bar the fin fairings, the fuse is now finally ready to be glassed.

I had a few nightmares lately and this view was constantly coming back in each of them...

2020_sand_dunes01.jpg

Now that the last 'sand rippling' is gone, I just hope to be able to dream nicely about feta cheese, ouzo and the Cretan blue sea again...

Wishing you both nice weather for flying... or sanding... cool

Cheers and stay safe

Chris

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!